The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Halter Bridles

I've only used halter-bridles with cheek pieces that snap on to D-rings -- I see that you can also get them with a one-piece bit hanger that goes over the crown piece ... with snaps on the browband to keep the bit hanger in place --

Which style do you prefer? ...and why?

Ever had any issues with snaps on the browband?
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM

I use the ones with the bit hangers (hooking to rings on cheek) because when you drop the bit (fast and easy) you can snap it onto a d ring on your saddle. If you have the over the ears type, it makes bridling easier, especially if you have a curb type bit or a fussy horse, but then when you remove it at a vetcheck, and if you don't have a horn to hang it off of, what do you do with it?
    Windwalker Ridge: Gaited horses, lessons, training, sales
    http://windwalkerridge.cloud11.net

Both of ours have snap-on cheek pieces, so the bit hangs just like it would with a standard bridle. I like it hanging just like a standard bridle.

That Wofford quote you have? Great stuff. I rode in one of his clinics many moons ago--my then eventer and I got o much out of our time w/ Jimmy!

Love the Zilco one that snaps onto the halter - http://www.longridersgear.com/catalo...products_id=59

It's super easy to use, and I can throw it over a rope halter. My super-sensitive Arab, who rubs on almost everything, is quite comfortable in his.

I've had the combos with the bit snaps, and I MUCH prefer this. I find it easier to adjust, and for me, it's quicker to put this on over my horse's head v. messing with the bit clips.

I love mine with the bit hangers that snap to the rings on the side of the halter. This is the one I have:
    http://www.mgsaddlery.com/servlet/th...-Halter/Detail
    Great quality at a great price. I did see that they also have the kind where the headstall snaps to the halter.

I have 2 of the ones with the bit hangers and wish I had the one with the separate headstall and halter. I find it a bit tricky to get the bit and snaps done without help after the lunch stop is over.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post
    Love the Zilco one that snaps onto the halter - http://www.longridersgear.com/catalo...products_id=59

It's super easy to use, and I can throw it over a rope halter. My super-sensitive Arab, who rubs on almost everything, is quite comfortable in his.

I've had the combos with the bit snaps, and I MUCH prefer this. I find it easier to adjust, and for me, it's quicker to put this on over my horse's head v. messing with the bit clips.
    Oh thanks, GreyDes, like I needed ANOTHER awesome web site to shop from!

^ Happy to help!

I have two halter/bridels with the bit straps that hook to rings on the cheek. Actually, I'm looking for replacements. But all the bridles have bit strap snap hooks that require a thumb to hold open. I'd like hooks with a keeper make it quick & easy to hook the ring. I like to drop the bit, hook the bit onto the saddle at rest stops. Not the pony club technique, but I just hold the bit in two hands to the horse, then slip the straps on to the rings. It's quick and for my horse ... easy

I like these by Hill View Farm. They are a nice quality leather with a soft lining. And no matter your preference, they have a version to suit.

http://www.american-flex.com/s-headstalls.htm