The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Brook Hill Farm, VA, Rehab & rescue facility

Does anyone know anything about this farm?

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Never heard of it. Just seems to be another "rescue" out in the boonies. They are used as a venue for horse classes through the community college system in that area and seem to have been around for almost a decade. The people behind it also have a small home construction business.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks, hoping someone here will tell me something great about them.... (or not, either is useful)

There's a brookhill farm in Charlottesville, is that the one? They put on a cute little ct that I like to go to.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid

No, they're in Bedford VA: http://www.brookhillfarm.org/index.htm

They have been around for as long as I can remember - more of a rehab than a rescue IMO but seem to find most of their horse good homes. A local college "retires" their horses there when they can no longer handle the lesson program and then they get adopted out to individuals.

Never heard anything really bad about the place and it is certainly better than many of the rescue programs you hear about.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    There's a brookhill farm in Charlottesville, is that the one? They put on a cute little ct that I like to go to.
    No, this is in a different part of VA.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Hi!
    Ive been with Brook Hill for 5 years now, and can attest to the wonderful work that they do. I know this post is old, but some of the above statements are incorrect and it's upsetting. We do not offer "horse classes" and the "people behind it" most certainly do not own a "small home construction business." If you would like factual information, please visit www.brookhillfarm.org. Brook Hill is a great organization and I fully support the work that they do. I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions, I hope this helps....
    -someone who's been there

Quote Originally Posted by MyMax View Post
    Hi!
    Ive been with Brook Hill for 5 years now, and can attest to the wonderful work that they do. I know this post is old, but some of the above statements are incorrect and it's upsetting. We do not offer "horse classes" and the "people behind it" most certainly do not own a "small home construction business." If you would like factual information, please visit www.brookhillfarm.org. Brook Hill is a great organization and I fully support the work that they do. I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions, I hope this helps....
    -someone who's been there
    "Upsetting"...seriously? What could possibly have been said so far that could make you "upset"? If this makes you upset, perhaps another venue would suit you better for your debut post. Your post rather smacks of "houseguest" to me. Why don't you tell us more about what is so wonderful rather than telling us how horrible it is that people think that it has association with horse classes and a small business owner??? I'd rather like to think a small business could support charitable work rather than a rescue running around with their hand out for funds and facilities, myself...
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

A rescue masquerading for a business, I think is what they are referring to since they are a 501c3 therapeutic facilty.
    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK

From the website: "With my background in corporate management, dealing with lameness issues, and with a BA in education, we founded the rehabilitation and educational programs leading to our success. During our early years we were amazed at how these horses healed with the help of our volunteers and youth. The horses were able to go on and lead productive lives, and the children involved grew into strong, confident, caring adults."

Seems like they offer some sort of classes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not sure why this post has resurfaced, but as I'm the one who asked the original question I will chime in. I was very impressed with what Brook Hill does after visiting and they turned out to be a lifesaver for me and my horse. Good people, good program.