The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do dams teach their foals THEIR toilet habits???

Or is that even possible???

My Pearlescent mare is the neatest mare on the face of the planet bless her heart.

In her stall, her poops are all lined up in a row like neat little soldiers against the back wall. There is never a ball out of place. She pees in the same area as well.

Outside, she will walk over to her "designated" poop area and make her deposit there. No matter where she is in the paddock, she will always walk over to "the" area to do her business. I muck their paddocks each day and I know in her paddock, there is only one spot I need to go to ...

Every single one of her foals have been the same - they walk over with Mom and pee and poop in that area and I have a few little "baby" piles next to Mom's "big" piles. The stall is the same

The other mares go wherever and their piles will be scattered throughout the paddocks. Their foals have been the same

Is this really a heritable trait or one that can be taught to their offspring? I would have never thought that a horse would be capable of having the thought process necessary to actually think out where they will poop every single day, inside or out???

Be curious to hear if anyone else has observed the same thing with their mares and their foals ...

My mare absolutely insists her foals poop in the appropriate spots. Once weaned the boys have reverted to going wherever they feel like but the fillies stay neat and tidy.

I hope so. My mare is neat neat neat. And her filly poops in the same spot as her dam. Peeing is another issue. She perfers to pee on the hay I give her mother to eat.

My mother-daughter mares are both complete slobs, so maybe. Though they both went to living out 24/7 when my filly was only two weeks old, so there weren't really that many opportunities for stall toiletry lessons.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

So funny you have started a thread on this; I have been tempted to a number of times. Most of the horses I have now are related (by virtue of beginning to breed but not really getting around to selling...)

Grandma mare (who I did sell) was a very tidy mare. Always pooped in the same spot in her stall. She had two foals for me, a filly and then a colt. Both adopted her tidy habits. The filly had a foal herself last year, he is now a yearling and he has still maintained his tidy ways. Not quite in one spot, like his mother and grandmother, but mostly in one spot.

Stall cleaning at my farm is much faster now due to this particular dam line trait! Perhaps I should use that as a marketing tool? I think it has value!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My broodmare was very neat and tidy - all poop and pee in the same corner in her stall. Stall cleaning was a breeze once you dug out the pee spot. Her daughter just goes wherever she happens to be standing at the moment . She does manage to keep it away from her feed bin, waterer, and hay spot, though.

That has been the case for me. Also, one of my mares is a hay and grain dunker, and so are all of her foals!

I definitely see the toilet habits of the dam copied (or inbred) with the youngsters.
    My Ester (Eiger / Wenzel) is pretty tidy - and her 2 daughters are the same. It is almost a pleasure to muck their stalls. Espinette (by Espri) is also tidy - and her foals pretty good too. Is it an E-line trait?
    Conversely, my Ditana is a total slob - everywhere, and anywhere - then mix it in. My Brentano mare was the same.
    Makes such a difference in the amount of shavings required.

Maybe it is an E-line trait! I had an Eisenherz mare who was also very neat. My Dutch mare and her Sir Gregory filly are the same, only the filly is even more extreme. While her mother poops in the corner, about a foot from the wall, her filly poops exactly in the corner, all poops touching the wall. I'm pretty amazed at the filly's precision.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Mine this year ruined that theory. One mare is messy and her colt is neater than her and normally goes in 1 spot. The other mare is very neat - her filly is neat but prefers her to be uber neat and go one of the water buckets (which is on the other side of the stall from Mom's spot)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

my mares definitely teach both their sons and daughters to be neat. And when my stallion was weaned and pastured with my gelding, the gelding also showed the young colt where to go in the field. To this day - when that horse is out in the smaller fields he still goes to that spot to poop. Almost all my mares go at the back wall.

I will say though that I think horses get smarter the more you work them and they can also learn from other horses. We had one mare that we bought - never been in a stall and her stall was an absolute mess when we first started stalling her. After about a year she started having the neatest stall. She was stalled beside my gelding - who was fastidious - with a bar wall - so I don't know if she learned on her own or from watching him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    I definitely see the toilet habits of the dam copied (or inbred) with the youngsters.
    My Ester (Eiger / Wenzel) is pretty tidy - and her 2 daughters are the same. It is almost a pleasure to muck their stalls. Espinette (by Espri) is also tidy - and her foals pretty good too. Is it an E-line trait?
    Conversely, my Ditana is a total slob - everywhere, and anywhere - then mix it in. My Brentano mare was the same.
    Makes such a difference in the amount of shavings required.
    I completely agree AND sometimes the opposite happens too . . . . I own two full daughters from Sunny Days's Brentano mare who was messy . . and BOTH daughters are perfectly neat in the stall - all manure and pee in one spot in the back in a pile and away from hay and water! Love mucking those stalls! Neat in the paddocks as well - all in the corner. . . . . Maybe the dam was so messy, the fillies decided "to heck with this, I'm going to be neat and clean"

But my Romanov filly - from a very neat dam and grandam, is a piece of work in the stall. I will give her credit that she tries to be neat and the manure is lined up sort of towards the back with a "mistake" pile here and there, but then she walks through it and makes "soup" . . . The other mares make her be neat in the paddock though The one Sandro Hit x Brentano mare doesn't let anyone poop in the wrong spot!

Edited to add: my Escudo II colt is neat in the stall too . . .maybe there is an E-line correlation??

All I can think of is that these neat ones would make Felix in "The Odd Couple" so darned proud!!!

I think the next slob I get, his barn name is going to be "Oscar" for sure!

In my experience, yes, absolutely! Neat mare = neat foal. Messy mare = messy foal. I have one mare who is very particular about only using one side of her stall for the bathroom, and she teaches all her foals the same.

My mare Wintermaske always puts manure in one corner, unless she can put it in the next stall by putting it through the bars. Every one of her kids has done the same, including her first foal who was an ET baby that never met her real mama until she was a yearling.

Sadly, I also have a piglet of a mare who has passed that along to her kids. That mare has produced some of my most outstanding fillies, so I guess I can overlook the messiness.

Not in my experience... I have a mare that is a PIG in her stall and outside too for that matter. Her first "child" was also a PIG (gelding). Her 3 subsequent foals (all by the same stallion and a different stallion that the first kid) are all VERY NEAT. and have been since birth just about.

My stallion is pretty neat and HIS kid is pretty neat, although neither dam was tidy. The colt out of my stallion's dam that is 2 this year was avg in neatness and is by the same stallion as the gelding above that is a PIG.

The stallions from my neat freaks are all neat freaks themselves and the stallion that is the dad to my pigs is not necessarily neat themselves... I'm going with if it is from any horse, it is the stallion.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

I have a neat mare who uses one back corner of her stall to poop and the other side to pee. Her colt followed her example prior to weaning... He now lives outside with the other yearling boys, so it will be interesting to see his stall once he comes back inside this winter.

I'm also interested to see what I am going to get next year as I have bred the same mare to my own stallion who also keeps his stall neat and orderly.
    Alison/Mikali Farms
    www.mikalifarms.com

I thought you meant as in, we will not poop in pee in the paddock in front of God and everybody because if we wait to go in, the slave girl will clean it straight away. I do clean paddocks too and yes I know they go outside, but sheesh, mine come in and go straight for a bit pee and poop. I mean come on. But yes, I do think messy=messy and neat = neat. Or it has gone that way for me. Thank goodness I only have Stella now as she was my only neat mare as are her kids.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Funny thread.

I have a horses who are related who are very tidy.

The ones who are not tidy have lived in large paddocks or pastures so "good housekeeping" didn't matter to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    My mare absolutely insists her foals poop in the appropriate spots. Once weaned the boys have reverted to going wherever they feel like but the fillies stay neat and tidy.
    sounds about right