The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Courtney King's New Video for Helmet Safety

I'm glad she did this. Thank you Courtney.

http://youtu.be/awJDYBhBPzk
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

My question is why did it take a BNT getting hurt to actually start a movement to encourage people to wear helmets while riding? Doctors and most instructors have known for years that it is stupid not to wear a helmet any time you are mounted. I volunteer at a therapeutic learning center and see TBI patients all the time, and I have to say that my head is worth a lot more than having a nice hair day or dressage tradition. I don't mean to start a helmet vs. no helmet debate, but come on people, if you won't wear a helmet for your own self edification, at least do it for the people who love you and do not what to see you going through what CKD has been through.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Judging from the lack of responses to the video, I think CotHers were comfortable reading about Courtney but are not comfortable having to face the reality of what happens when you do have a brain injury.

It took courage and grace to produce this video.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That is correct. It's hard to comprehend the difficulty she has gone through.

She's not only a great rider, she's a great woman.
    She's much more than I ever could hope to be.

It was startling.....but what a great message and great delivery.

I sent it to my friend who will not wear a helmet. Maybe it will have an impact.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Amen, and bless you Courtney!!
    "When you think you don't need a coach ...then you're in trouble" Don Imus 2012

I was moved to tears. I saw Courtney ride in Las Vegas and became a fan. I hadn't realized the severity of her brain injury until I saw the video. It is unfortunate that an accident such as hers has thrust the importance of wearing a helmet each and every time you ride into the spotlight. It must have taken tremendous courage to make that video. Courtney is a shining star and an inspiration.
    You either go to the hospital or you get back on.
    -George Morris

& it sheds a whole new light on the L’Apogée® Saddlery advertisement.... Stunning photo but something is missing now.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by Young Equestrian View Post
    My question is why did it take a BNT getting hurt to actually start a movement to encourage people to wear helmets while riding?
    Sadly, most people seem to believe it will NEVER happen to them, that only a certain "type" of rider/discipline/whatever has a fall that could cause serious long-term damage.

I have seen first-hand how TBI's can affect people, regardless of how the accident occurred. (My grandmother had to live in a long-term care home before she passed away.) One young man was in his late 20's, and had been living there since he was in his mid-teens and it was a dirt bike accident. He will never leave the hospital; same with many others there. The strength it takes for TBI survivors is remarkable when you see it up close, but also tragic that others don't take doctors advice (common sense?) to protect themselves.

Courtney is a hero.
    A quick tutorial on interval training: Conditioning your horse for eventing

Wow. All I can say is that she has approached her recovery with the same strength and tenacity that got her to the top of her sport.
    Sheilah

Thanks for posting! I think it especially meaningful that she made it clear her horse wasn't being naughty, just a trip and fall. My worst fall was standing still, bareback 200 feet from my stall. I did have a helmet.

I am so proud of Courtney for turning this accident into a quest to help and protect others. She is an inspiration to us all, thank you Courtney!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for posting the video. I am also deeply moved by her strength and courage. Great role model.

As a doc who deals with traumatic brain injuries (improvable and not improvable) I can relate t0 this and all videos about this injury. Some injuries are static, some dynamic, all require individual assessment and care, and long term follow up.

That's a gold medal performance.

Default Thanks for the link!

This was very moving. It was difficult for me to watch. I can only imagine how difficult it might be for Courtney to watch herself.

I always wear a helmet, but I don't preach at those who don't. Hopefully Courtney's message will preach the message in its own unique way.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Judging from the lack of responses to the video, I think CotHers were comfortable reading about Courtney but are not comfortable having to face the reality of what happens when you do have a brain injury.

I disagree. There was only 2 hours between this and your first post.

I think COTHers and non-COTHers alike have faced the reality of what happens with traumatic brain injury since Day 1 of Courtney's accident.

One doesn't have to post on COTH to appreciate Courtney's message and her fiercely determined self.

Kudos to her for making this video. So many people think they will never get hurt and I hope they listen to her message.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post

I think COTHers and non-COTHers alike have faced the reality of what happens with traumatic brain injury since Day 1 of Courtney's accident.

One doesn't have to post on COTH to appreciate Courtney's message and her fiercely determined self.
    2 hours. 90 views. No posts. Thus my post.

Since that post, responses.

There is a different impression between reading a blog and seeing the person. I think this video sends a strong message and I thank Courtney for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Lu View Post

^THIS^

Something that she said really struck me...about the fact that it could have been worse.
    That statement made me remember "IT" girl of the '80's, Terry Koenig. She rode the Trakehner, Inspekteur, back when the Trakehner was the hot "new" breed in North America. The ATA was incorporated in 1974, and the first stallion inspections took place in late 1977.
    Terry suffered a head injury when, if I recall correctly, the horse she was mounted on reared unexpectedly. She hit her head on the overhead stable structure. Again, if I recall correctly, she was removed from life support some weeks later.
    According to the ATA website, there was a "Koenig/NowPac Young Riders' Dressage Award Prior to 1994 these awards were presented to separate individuals. In 1995 the Board of Trustees decided that the trophy and scholarship should be given to one Junior or Young Rider and horse combination. As of 2009, this Award is no longer funded."
    There is no other mention of this tragedy that I can find on the internet...there is not even a notation regarding who she was, or why there was an award with her name on it.

I am so grateful that Courtney is ready, willing, and able to tell her own story, which all of us need to hear. She is not allowing people to shrug and go on as before.

Thank you, Courtney!

Rest in peace, Terry. I never knew you, but you left an indelible mark on my heart.