The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Crosby Marathon Endurance Saddle

A barnmate let me try her old Crosby endurance saddle on my hard-to-fit TB last week. It was the most comfortable saddle I ever sat in, but it was slightly too wide and sat on my horse's withers a bit. From what I read on the interweb, Crosby doesn't really exist anymore as a company? I'm not an endurance rider, but the saddle was awesome and really would have been perfect if it was slightly narrower, so I'm really interested in attempting to find one, but it doesn't seem that there are many around.

Any ideas of places to look specifically for this saddle? Such as companies that specialize in endurance riding or something of the like?

Any suggestions would be awesome and appreciated.

I ride in my 20x yr old crosby equilibrium. Love it.

look on ebay, if you have an account set up a free daily search. They come up with surprising regularity and usually go for peanuts because no one knows what they are.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

Thanks, I will definitely do that.

Also, are endurance saddles sized differently than an all-purpose English saddle? Would a 19" all-purpose be about the same as a 19" endurance saddle?

Thanks!

What size tree and seat do you need? I found this: http://gallopinggrape.com/17crosbyma...lemedtree.aspx

I was surprised when you mentioned that Crosby doesn't really exist anymore and so I looked it up. Found this. http://crosbysaddle.com/

Or has something changed in the company? It seems like Crosby has been around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by alspharmd View Post
    A barnmate let me try her old Crosby endurance saddle on my hard-to-fit TB last week. It was the most comfortable saddle I ever sat in, but it was slightly too wide and sat on my horse's withers a bit. From what I read on the interweb, Crosby doesn't really exist anymore as a company? I'm not an endurance rider, but the saddle was awesome and really would have been perfect if it was slightly narrower, so I'm really interested in attempting to find one, but it doesn't seem that there are many around.

Any ideas of places to look specifically for this saddle? Such as companies that specialize in endurance riding or something of the like?

Any suggestions would be awesome and appreciated.

I have an old Crosby Marathon. I agree it is very comfortable.. check on CL. I saw one on there for 400 not long ago. Good luck.

lisalaw Guest

Default Crosby Marathon

I just listed one of these saddles on Horseclicks.
    $200.00. It's a 17.5" med. tree.

If it fits your horse for the most part and saddle fitter can do the rest.

Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com