The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wool Fleece vs 5 star pad w/Wintec Dressage

Hi, I have a major problem with the dressage pad I use with my Wintec Pro Dressage saddle. My gelding has very high withers and even though I pull the pad up into the saddle when saddling, the pad stills ends up pulling taut across his withers after we ride for a bit. We are training for a long ride, so I need to get either a wool fleece pad or a 5 Star.

Any one ride a high withered horse and have this problem? Which pad would work better for this situation? Juli

Does anyone have an opinion here? Anyone?

weekends are slow round these parts
    I would ask on the dressage board/

Same problem. Currently I am using a mattes half pad with saddle fix strap. Previously I was using a 5 star wool felt pad liner 1/4" thick with wither cut out... literally I cut out a spot for the entire withers.

I also cut out two slots for the saddlefix strap to keep the channel open.

It works well also but with the heat I am using just the half pad for now.

I'm using a Toklat Woolback with a high profile with my high withered guy. It's been working well so far. I was having a problem with the Equipedic pad doing what you describe. I've never used a 5 star, so can't speak to that pad.
    Last edited by JenLS; Aug. 8, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Only dead fish go with the flow.

http://tommybluefoot.blogspot.com/

Thank you!

Default Toklat

I second the Toklat Woolback pads. I use the countured one with the long sides under my Thornhill Endurance saddle, and the sides are long enough for my dressage saddle as well on my Friesian cross. My horse loved it so much I bought their contoured barrel pad to use under my western endurance saddle on my saddlebred (who also has high withers). They receive "4 hooves up" at our place!

[edit]

I would check the saddle... it really doesn't fit well if the pad moves all the time.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Aug. 8, 2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: reference to deleted spam post

I've started using a thinline pad under my Wintec dressage saddle on my high-withered guy. Am very pleased, tho I don't do really long rides with him. It does stay in place and stays up in the gullet of the saddle; it's well shaped and has enough body that it doesn't shift.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

We've been conditioning for a 50 at the end of the season (still on track...Sept 10!) and I ride in a Wintec Isabelle on a high-withered Trakehner. I know this is a weird horse, saddle and training schedule, but the whole Endurance thing was entered into as rehab from a Nuchal ligament injury...the end goal was completion on a 50 mile.

All of the Toklat pads I've tried (I've spent waaaaay too much money this year "trying" pads) have slipped back. They are too thick and alter the fit of the saddle too much, my horse hates them. I tried both the Coolback and Woolback models recommended for Wintec Isabelle. When he hates a piece of tack, I usually quickly end up hating it too...little Princess lets me know within the first hundred yards or so if something isn't to his liking. Loudly.

The best fitting pad I've found is a cheap cotton quilted pad, Dressage sadde shaped, with a high wither allowance. It doesn't budge, my horse doesn't sweat much under it. It "drops" a little over his wither after the initial "tent"...but doesn't end up tight. Trotting, cantering, up and down hills, through rivers, this pad keeps coming back the favourite.

I don't know the logic of a thick pad for longer rides...it could very well be to solve a problem that I don't have at these distances (max 50 miles!) To me a really well-fitted Dressage saddle doesn't want a very thick, woolly pad. Just a nice, breathable layer...sort of like the socks I'd wear with my well-fitting running shoes. Very light, breathable natural fibre. Nothing to interfere with the fit of my shoe!
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

1 members found this post helpful.

I use pads that have 'wither relief' built into them.

Try a Wyngz dressage pad. They have a lot of stretch to them and a cut out for the withers. I honestly can't say enough great things about these pads. You hose them off and they are good to go. Plus they don't hold or contribute to sweat like wool pads. Lots of cushion in the padding.

www.wyngzsaddlepads.com/