The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Crosby Saddles....any good?

I have been looking for a used Crosby Equilibrium with no success. I am considering buying a new one but I know Crosby has been bought by Weatherbeeta and I assume the saddles are now made in Australia. I am sure they are not going to be as good as they used to be but does anyone have experience with the new ones? Thanks. Also, I would be interested in a comparrison of the Equibrium to the Centenial.

You can buy a new Equilibrium if you still love the saddle. Exselle saddles are the old Crosby saddles- still being made by the Walsall Riding Company in England using the original trees. http://www.exselle.com/

Their website isn't the best, but the US distributor (out of NJ I think) is a wealth of information on which current Exselle models match up with the old Crosby models. He'll also be able to tell you if there have been any changes in the design since the Crosby era.

You can even get one custom made if there have been any design changes, as they have all the old "blueprints" and trees that were used on all Crosby's made by them.

One customer had a Hunterdon made by them from scratch, and that hasn't been produced in years.

My beloved Crosby AGA Grand Prix is the Exselle CCI 4 Star. I know they do make the Equilibrium- I want to say its the Axcess, but I can't remember for sure.

Where are you located?
    Last edited by Cammie; Jul. 27, 2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: added link

No help on the comparison, but I've ridden in a few Centennials and loved them. Very well balanced, nice saddles.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I adore the Centennial. I've been on the hunt for a reasonably priced used one for a while, but they keep slipping out of my reach. I don't know about it in comparison to the Equilibrium, though.

To my untrained eye, it looks like the Exselle Debut is the Centennial match.

I have an older crosby, need to find out what kind it is.

It has an emblem of a rider jumping on the flap? Any clue what make that would be?

It's a close contact, and was my younger cousin's first saddle so it's at least 10yrs old. It's in excellent shape, has been well oiled, etc.

I just don't know what make it is other than a crosby
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

This shop has a new "older" 17 1/2 Crosby Equilibrium on clearance so you might give them a call.

If I recall correctly, this shop orders in saddles directly from Exselle (so custom flaps etc are possible): a 17" Exselle sits much like a 17" Crosby, ie more generous in the seat sizing than Antares or Amerigo.

Quote Originally Posted by RxCate View Post
    I have an older crosby, need to find out what kind it is.

It has an emblem of a rider jumping on the flap? Any clue what make that would be?

It's a close contact, and was my younger cousin's first saddle so it's at least 10yrs old. It's in excellent shape, has been well oiled, etc.

I just don't know what make it is other than a crosby
    The jumper emblem is, I believe Collegiate, not Crosby. Though at one time, was Collegiate a subsidiary of Crosby or something? Collegiates were made in Argentina then and were very good saddles for the money.