The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

SoCalEventer Guest

Default Need boots for horse allergic to neoprene

My event horse recently started reacting to neoprene. He has put me in a tough spot with his boots! We have been using polo wraps at home for everyday but now I have to get serious and replace our everyday turnout/dressage boots, jumping open front boots, and xc boots. The added issue is anything too think (read fleece) causes him to interfere. I was sad to find out I can't get Porters anymore as that was going to be my XC option. I probably have to go with expensive leather. But any other ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

For XC you can try the Premier boots. Mine will begin to blister at the thought of Woofs, Eskadron's, etc...the Premier's have been great & are nice boots. Can try Equi-Fits for open fronts. I love my Valena boots for everyday stuff.

I have one horse with a neoprene allergy and another who I just avoid neoprene with, as I think he can be quite sensitive. So, I know what you are talking about!

I use fleece lined boots for every day. I know my horses bump into them occasionally, but it doesn't bother me...it's not like they are causing them to travel closer together...there's just more boot there. I also use polos regularly, but I like the ease of the boots (and I have a TON of them). I can also buy them dirt cheap, and I wash the hell out of them.

I currently have sheepskin lined open fronts and ankle boots. And as much as I love them, I covet a full set of Equi-Fits (these are very much Toby approved...that's what he was wearing the day I tried him). Equi-Fits do have all purpose boots, which would be an option for every day. I don't use them, as both my boys sweat buckets, and the one pair of Equi-Fit ankle boots I have take days to dry after they've sweated them up. I AM anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Equi-Fit xc boots that are supposedly coming.

I currently use NEW boots for xc. They have an orthopedic foam lining. Toby approved. I may get Premiers eventually. Dalmars are also Toby approved (what his previous owner used). Eccogold should be good, as well (they also have every day boots that I have contemplated in the past). Pretty much any of the newer, higher end xc specific boots SHOULD be safe. Most have something other than neoprene as a lining. Every leather boot I see seems to be lined with Neoprene or rubber, so I don't even consider them.

Smartpak sells "Hampa" protectors. I've never seen or used them, but in the catalog they remind me of Porters, which if I didn't do so many one days, is what I would use.

Roma makes a boot that is good for XC, they are a brushing boot, fairly cheap, and basically plastic. I used them on my horse that was allergic to neoprean and I also used equifit boots (I actually still have the full set even though the horse passed in february)

I know it's not fashionable, but you could always just leave his legs naked. That's what I did with my training level horse, who couldn't do some neoprene and got rubs at the drop of a hat. My current horse (N) goes naked unless he's wearing studs, and sometimes then.