The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hock injection- still not 100%

My horse just had his back left hock injected because of arthritis, although he his tremendously better, he still is not 100%. We have the vet coming out tomorrow, I just wanted to know some of y'alls opinions. I'm kind of worried, should I be?

How many sites were injected?

Most vets will inject both hocks instead of just one, or was there an injury to the left hock that cause arthritis to only form there?

My horse had been doing fine with two injections sites on the lower hock, but I think it's time to inject the 3rd as well now.

He had two injections, only in the left because that was the only place the x-ray showed. He has been in consistent training, so we think that was the cause for the flare of arthritis. He is a rather large TB, so I knew he would need them sooner or later. Im just hoping that he just needs more time and nothing is seriously wrong.

A lot of times when the hocks hurt, the horse compensates and then causes the back to get sore. What exactly is the horse doing that makes you say he is still off? FWIW, anytime I get my mares hocks done, she goes on a week of Robaxin to help her back recoup.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

2 weeks ago, he was visibly off and when trotting you could feel a terrible limp, got off called vet, couldn't be there till Monday (it was Thursday). He was the same Monday, vet did xrays, found arthritis in back left only. Injected Wednesday, four days off, 3 stalled, 1 in pasture. Monday when I was going to do a light hack, he was still a little off, but better than the week before, today he was a lot better, I couldn't feel it at the trot but visually he was still kind of off. Just to see what the canter looked liked, we did a few steps on the right lead, just felt a little off, to the left, very off.

It always took my very arthritic mare at least 10 days to two weeks to feel better. Give it a little more time. Like Krazy said he may have been compensating and hurting in other places.

Quote Originally Posted by jumparound00 View Post
    2 weeks ago, he was visibly off and when trotting you could feel a terrible limp, got off called vet, couldn't be there till Monday (it was Thursday). He was the same Monday, vet did xrays, found arthritis in back left only. Injected Wednesday, four days off, 3 stalled, 1 in pasture. Monday when I was going to do a light hack, he was still a little off, but better than the week before, today he was a lot better, I couldn't feel it at the trot but visually he was still kind of off. Just to see what the canter looked liked, we did a few steps on the right lead, just felt a little off, to the left, very off.
    sounds to me like you haven't found all of the root issue.
    I'll concur with a previous poster that a few days of robaxin may help... but if it's a sudden onset lameness then it wasn't just from arthritis
    Are you icing his joints?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

It could be that he also has a soft tissue injury or it could be that be could he is also lame somewhere higher up.

I think he may need more time, I'm hoping. He is a very weird horse, but that's why I love him. We have looked him up and down for other problems, but have not found any. Only the hock seems to be bothering him, that said, he could possibly be sore for compensating, but he isn't showing it anywhere else. As for icing, the vet has said nothing about it, but I have been cold hosing his hock. I just really worry about my boy, so I'm trying to find the problem and get him better.

Thanks for the responses!