The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best Hoof Conditioner/Moistiorizer?

Ok, I KNOW I spelled that TOTALLY wrong LOL We moved from western washington, which as everyone knows is wetwetwet 24/7 to eastern oregon, which is drydrydry 24/7 lol. Lucys hooves are realllly dry and cracking really bad. I overflow her water tub so she has a little bit of wet ground, but it's not helping. What is the best CHEAP stuff out there to put on her feet?
    Jaime

I've used Rainmaker in the past. I'm not convinced anything really works. Farrier's Formula (a bit pricey) or Source Hoof Supplement (low in biotin, but pretty good bang for your buck) might be a helpful solution.

Keretex?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The best thing you can do for good hoof health is to feed good quality forage and fodder. Next would come suppliments that work (if any work). Topical dressings can reduce loss of moisture or act as a barrier to moisture but won't do much to improve the quality of horn.

G.

You heard here first! I use cheap sunscreen. Why not UV protection?
    friend of bar.ka

Adeptus hoof supplement and Sound Hoof Conditioner. May not be the cheapest dollar-wise, but value-wise they are outstanding. I would rather spend the $ on things that work ~ and that includes the best farrier you can find. Good luck.

IMO - it comes from the inside.... Farriers Formula is great. Focus HF is awesome too..... check diet....

While I do agree that good hooves come from the inside, some horses in certain areas really benefit from a topical agent applied to their hooves.

When I talked to my farrier, he said that it wasn't the dry air/ground factor that really does the damage, it is the fact that when it is hot and dry out, the hooves go wet-dry-wet-dry-wet-dry day after day after day. (When it's hot out, most horses get hosed off. Arenas are watered, sometimes unevenly, so your horse goes from wet footing to dry footing.)

He recommended applying a hoof conditioner after each ride BEFORE my horse got hosed off, to create a barrier against the water. It also provides a little moisture.

I bought the stuff by Horse Health Products, Shur Hoof, because it was cheap lol. It works. Less cracking and crumbling, easy, and a cheap fix. Won't fix any major hoof issues, but helps out with the little stuff.

I feed farriers formula and also use topical farrier barrier daily. i have to say my mares feet are a point of pride. they are lovely and nice and strong with no cracks, flaws or issues. She's been on this regimen for about 10 months now. My farrier is always impressed

My favorites are:

http://www.bigdweb.com/prodinfo.asp?...LAID=568714930
    for routine everyday use

http://www.smithbrothers.com/rainmak...ng/p/X3-22160/ if only issue is dryness

and this if horse also tends to get sore: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...pn_E_X1-220003
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I use Hoof Heal. It is making a difference in my guys feet. Rainmaker left a sticky nasty mess to deal with and didn't see much besides a water barrier during baths.

I've tried feeding Source Hoof Supplement...didn't work. I fed Focus HF...didn't work. The only thing I've had luck with is Calf-Manna ShoHoof- it turned my non-believer farrier into a believer. My new barn as well as a friend's barn swear by pure biotin they get from the co-op.

If you want to put something on the foot to keep the hosing cycle of wet/dry from wreaking havoc, then do that.

But most topicals are useless at best, harmful at worst. Anything petroleum-based is going to eventually (sometimes quickly) degrade the outer layer of the hoof, the very layer that helps keep moisture regulated.

I use Hoof Heal and like it, plus Smartpak offers a good hoof supplement called "SmartHoof" ( who could've guessed ). Cheap and good.

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    I use Hoof Heal and like it, plus Smartpak offers a good hoof supplement called "SmartHoof" ( who could've guessed ). Cheap and good.
    This is what I do on both counts.

I agree about the hoof supplements, but to answer your question: Hoof Heal

I use peanut oil.

It costs practically nothing and I think it helps the hoof guard against moisture changes. One farrier I had told me it really helps, another farrier told me topical stuff doesn't work anyway.

It's practically free either way so I figure wth.

Just don't hand it to someone you don't know without asking if they are allergic.

I use Valentine's Hoof Ointment....LOVE the stuff.... It really helps my boy.

Plus, if you put it in your hair, braid it up, and wear it overnight, it's a great conditioner! Discovered that when I was younger.....lol
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

Rainmaker is expensive, but the container lasts a long, long time, and it's been invaluable in maintaining my mare's hooves in our extremely dry climate.

Hoof Alive!! Hands down the best I have ever used!!

It's messy to put on, I use gloves, as it has the same consistancy of vaseline.

But it smells great and works even better!

I find it's the wet/dry/wet/dry thing that causes the problems with crumbly hooves. For us in Middle TN it's a problem with dew making the ground and feet wet at night then they dry out during the day. Stomping at flies on the hard summer ground makes it worse. I'm know if I switch turnout to daytime to keep them off the dew it will make a big difference--I just can't put them out in the heat or limit their turnout!

Keratex is the only topical I've ever used that I think might help. It works better if you start using it before you have a problem. The other thing I do is put a quick glob of vaseline on the shod hooves as a moisture barrier making sure to cover the nails and cracks really well before I rinse/bath a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    If you want to put something on the foot to keep the hosing cycle of wet/dry from wreaking havoc, then do that.

But most topicals are useless at best, harmful at worst. Anything petroleum-based is going to eventually (sometimes quickly) degrade the outer layer of the hoof, the very layer that helps keep moisture regulated.
    JB, I've never thought of the petroleum product issue and vaseline. Anyone have a suggestion for a gel that would create a moisture barrier for bathing but isn't petroleum based?

Keretex makes a gel. I've never tried it, though. Keretex and Durasole are the only things my farrier recommends. Plus Farrier's Formula (I use the Double Strength). He also applies putty to the nail holes, buffs the hoof and uses a sealer. Have I mentioned I love my farrier?

You do have to be careful with some of the hoof supplements...you can overload on selenium with a couple of them.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant