The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blue Seal Hay Stretcher

The vet recommended it for one of my boarded horses. Tell me your experiences and opinions on it. I'm also interested to hear if anyone had a horse choke on it.

Love it love it love and every horse I have served it to loves it. I always soak it first into a mash. Winter time add hot water just prior to serving. You would be amazed at how much water you can get into them.

I have a horse on it year round and the others get some in the winter. Like CAH, I soak it in hot water into a mash. My horses absolutely LOVE the stuff.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Why would they choke on it? Isn't it the same as a pelleted grain? I use Poulin's Forage Extender "mini bites" and it's the same size as the Poulin pelleted grain I feed.

So, both feeds get fed at the same time and not soaked. The old gelding gets beet pulp with grain/forage extender mixed in so his I guess gets mixed with *some* water.

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    Why would they choke on it? Isn't it the same as a pelleted grain? I use Poulin's Forage Extender "mini bites" and it's the same size as the Poulin pelleted grain I feed.
    Because the BS version is much larger than a regular pellet. I've fed it successfully both soaked and unsoaked, but I've also known horses who've choked on it. I guess it just depends on the horse. I switched to the Nutrena HS which is the same size as most pelleted grains, so now I don't have to worry about it at all.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    I switched to the Nutrena HS which is the same size as most pelleted grains, so now I don't have to worry about it at all.
    That seems to be the smart thing to do! I'm glad Poulin's version is the same size as their grain pellets.

Probably boring people with this.

My mare choked on blue seal hay stretcher.

I had been feeding BS hay stretcher since when it first came out. A can with their grain in winter and sometimes a half can in summer with grain and always as treats.

Then my mare choked. It was horrible. She has teeth that are rotting(Yes, she has been to NEEMSC) and there is nothing to be done.

So, any feed(which I now don't give her anything but hay) is not good for her...or for my stress level.

Would I feed it to the others, not anymore. If I were, it would be soaked.

I am not such a fan of poulin's because I don't like the flavorings, artificial stuff they put in their grains, but they have the right idea with the mini bites.

Personally, I don't like pelleted feed at all. After experiencing so many chokes, the best thing is to have something wetted down that can easily be massaged down the esphogus.

I did like how hay stretcher put weight on horses, but now I will soak...no ifs about it.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

My older horse LOOOOOOVES this stuff!!!!!!

I soak it. In fact, I do not feed ANY pellet except in mash form. Too many problems with choking.

I wish it came in powdered form! It would make things much easier. It takes quite a while to soak even in hot water.

I love the stuff because Harry loves it!

Love the stuff - I ALWAYS soak it before I feed it otherwise my 30-year old will choke on it. My mare can eat it dry but I always soak hers too - I mainly feed it in the winter with tons of hot water added to it so it's like soup. It's a great way to get extra water into them - and they both slurp it right down without a problem .
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    I wish it came in powdered form! It would make things much easier. It takes quite a while to soak even in hot water.
    That's interested that your experience has been that it takes a while to soak. It's never taken longer than just a couple minutes for mine to soak in hot water. I don't bother with cold (doesn't seem to do anything).
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

BS Hay Stretcher pellets are potato chips for horses. By that I mean I have found BS Hay Stretcher pellets in particular to be helpful in tempting ulcery TBs to eat while first transitioning to life off the track.

That said, when a hay pellet is necessary I far prefer to feed straight alfalfa, or alfalfa/timothy, rather than a "hay" pellet which actually consists substantially of wheat middlings & oat mill by-products. Straight alfalfa offers more nutritional bang for my buck, and with lower NSC to boot.

As for potential to cause choke: know your horse. Any horse which bolts its feed or has poor dentition is prone to choke, no matter the fodder.

Quote Originally Posted by chism View Post
    Because the BS version is much larger than a regular pellet. I've fed it successfully both soaked and unsoaked, but I've also known horses who've choked on it. I guess it just depends on the horse. I switched to the Nutrena HS which is the same size as most pelleted grains, so now I don't have to worry about it at all.
    I won't use it and I do use Blue Seal Sentinel LS...instead, I use Poulin's Hay Extender, which comes in two sizes (I feed the "mini-bites"; their "regular" is similar in size to Blue Seal).

However, this thread caught my attention because a few years ago I DARED to suggest to the BS rep at Equine Affaire that they may want to consider changing the size and/or offering a smaller size as well, like their competitor. I was pretty much ridiculed by the feed rep and was told in a very condescending manner that it was designed to "melt in the horse's mouth" when chewed. I replied that I use it mainly on very old horses with very few teeth and suggested that perhaps the company might appreciate the feedback? I was told that my feedback would not be passed on and that I was welcome to use another company. Which I do.

Having said ALL that, I've also gone mainly to soaked alfalfa pellets for the older horses and only use the hay stretcher to get supplements into the really easy keepers.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

All 4 of my geldings get it with their grain as a filler because they're all a little chunky. They all get it as treats too, a couple pieces or a small handfull. I usually don't soak it and have never had a problem (knock on wood).

Tractor Supply carries hay stretcher in pellets the size of grain pellets. I tried it once, and they liked it. I only didn't get it again because my TS store is too far away from my house to go there on a regular basis.

Now I remember the choke and hay stretcher incident...thank you barnfairy for pointing out " As for potential to cause choke: know your horse. Any horse which bolts its feed or has poor dentition is prone to choke, no matter the fodder."
    You see, my horse never choked before, so I wasn't aware of her dentition as you put it!!! LOL

After the incident, I thought, ok, I will soak the hay stretcher and her TC senior just to be safe. I have two barns and tend to buy one barn's feed at one time, and then buy the other barn's the next week. That way I never run out.

The new hay stretcher did not break down. It had to be soaked for 4 hours before it broke down!!! I could not believe it, so I stole from the other barn to compare, and sure enough that batch broke down within 10 minutes. So, there was also some issue with the hay stretcher and the different batches.

I know someone who worked at the plant where they make the hay stretcher and it is really the chaff and crap off the floor as he put it. Even knowing that, I still liked using it since it would help with weight in winter, and was something all the horses liked.

I don't use it anymore, mostly because I think the potential for choke is too easy. I'd soak it, but am not set up to be able to soak it for the number of horses I have and lug it all out to the barn. I lug enough with beet pulp and alfalfa/timothy hay cubes in winter to get water into them. Hay stretcher isn't a value added feed that I find worth lugging.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Ive just switched all of my horses to the Blue Seal product line. I dont need the Hay Stretcher as we have lots of our own hay that we grow here that they gobble down very happily, but am very impressed with their overall product line and also with the prices in comparison to the Buckeye that I used to feed

And the feed smells great as soon as I walk into the barn!!!