The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Convicted Equestrian Coach Back in Court: "All I Did Was Slap Her on the Ass"

This guy hasn't learned anything.

http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...tory?track=rss

Excerpts:

The words startled spectators Tuesday in the gallery of a courtroom in Superior Court.

"All I did was slap her on the ass. When can I move on from this?"

Robert L. Johnson's probation officer attributed those words to Johnson, an equestrian coach who was convicted of molesting a 14-year-old riding student 10 years ago.

Johnson was back in court Tuesday to face charges that he violated his probation when he traveled to Ohio last fall for a horse competition where his victim, now a riding instructor herself, was competing.

The probation officer, James Morrison III, told Judge Lisa Morgan that Johnson made the remark when he was told to cut short his visit to the annual All American Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus, Ohio, which ran from Sept. 24 to Oct. 7, 2010. Morrison said Johnson was "not happy" with the order.

The "slap" testimony drew a quick response from prosecutor Russell C. Zentner, who argued that Johnson's remark was at odds with the victim's account.

Johnson is prohibited from having any contact with his victim and cannot attend an equestrian event on the same day as his victim. The victim, now 26, was one of three witnesses who testified at Tuesday's hearing. The judge will decide whether Johnson violated the probationary terms he was ordered to follow when he was released from prison in April 2004.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Just when you think you've heard about all the possible levels of stupidity, something like this pops up.

Hope this guy gets thrown back in jail, and his victim gets some peace.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Rather like when a former BNT told someone testifying against him IN COURT, "When I get out, I'm gonna kill you..." or something to that effect...

co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

This idiot only had to serve 9 months of a 6 year prison term. You would think he would be thanking his lucky stars and meeting his parole requirements. I guess he needs to spend 5 more years inside in order to "get it" if he is capable of making that connection.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Too many people with convictions think that the "suspended" part of the sentence means nothing. I certainly hope that Johnson's obvious disdain for the court and the system results in an immediate return to incarceration.

What I found most amazing is that the victim testified that Johnson's current students were harassing her....!current! students? In Connecticut, this guy's case has been well covered....who in the world would hire him as a teacher?

The same people who hire PV and defend him violently to anyone who doesn't think he has repaid his debt and all should be forgiven. I'd like to say idiots, but my mother taught me better. =)
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh Dear Lord, I was afraid it would be this idiot, he really just won't learn. I thought I heard a rumor that he had left the state after he lost his farm in a related law suit, guess I was mistaken.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

My neighbor would take her grandkids there for lessons even after he was convicted. Her rational on it was that the kids took lessons from the wife not him. Ummm, he's still there though!!!

I ran into him a few times at horse shows back before the accusations and everything came out and even then he always gave me the creeps.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Update:
    http://www.courant.com/news/connecti...0,444914.story

Sad. His mom used to run the stable (under a different name) and many of us in the area took H/J lessons there. My friend got her first horse from there...
    I remember him and his sister as teens. Didnt really know them. As I recall the sister had an Olympic candidate jumper at one point.
    It really has gotten to read like a horsey novel plot!

He was an AQHA judge in past years. I showed to him many times.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

I'm not familiar with this case at all. Can someone give me the Cliff Notes version?
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Raise your hand if you're surprised at this moron.

One thing I *never* understood about Johnson and Quarry Town was how the hell anyone ever boarded or sent a horse into training there.
    That place has been a crap-hole since I was in jodpurs. Dirty, muddy as hell, manure-filled tiny turnouts, barn interiors all jury-rigged instead of repaired, bare wiring, nasty footing, craptastic fencing, etc. And top it all off with very obviously sleazy, creepy-ass owner.

Heck, guess I shouldn't be surprised since Rambling River stayed open as long as it did. Add in all of the above and top it with an owner who made Courtney Love look sober and sweet.

Bumper...google Quarry Town Stables.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

From what I hear, the new wife is young enough to be his daughter (younger than the victim in the article actually). How's that for learning? Yuck!
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

It's my understanding that Colonial Hills Quarter Horses is now housed in the Portland facility.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Sad thing is that his mom ran a decent lesson stable (before it was Quarrytown). Nothing fancy, but neat and safe. I learned some good basics there.
    Her son apparently didnt keep up the stables once he took control. And mom seems totally "Barn Blind". As far as clients for the son - he won at the shows. To some people that was all that mattered.

Huh. Go figure. I believe that both my mother and father rode at Quarry Town Stables as children...
    Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Yup Colonial Hill Stables has taken over the farm in Portland.

As for why people kept going there and paying for lessons and training.... it's amazing what people will turn a blind eye to when they are focused on that beautiful scrap of blue satin!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

For those who don't know the background, this link is a shortcut to the whole sordid 11-12 year history:

http://articles.courant.com/keyword/robert-johnson

This was not just grabbing some poor kids a$$.

Yesterday he made his plea in court, hoping the judge won't lock him up. Made what seems to be his only apology to the victim...it certainly seems less than genuine, considering the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hinderella View Post
    For those who don't know the background, this link is a shortcut to the whole sordid 11-12 year history:

http://articles.courant.com/keyword/robert-johnson

This was not just grabbing some poor kids a$$.

Yesterday he made his plea in court, hoping the judge won't lock him up. Made what seems to be his only apology to the victim...it certainly seems less than genuine, considering the circumstances.

does that mean he went after everything with a pulse?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

"low risk" - bs, it sounds like. He's good at covering things up, is my guess.

Good for the 14 yo girl who spoke up long ago. And the others who did so. Too often victims, especially younger ones, are reluctant to speak up with a story that causes them personal embarrassment.

I can't believe horse owners support this creep.

I am struck by how much of the article is about how *Johnson* feels. Upset he can't see his wife ride; he was depressed after the first conviction (depressed over being *caught* molesting a 14 yo girl, not about doing it I'm sure); etc. bs. Who cares? He created this situation by traumatizing unwilling victims.