The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you carry with when you drive?

I'm going to compete in my first pleasure show and while I was gathering the items for the spares kit, I was wondering what other drivers carried with them when they went for a recreational drive.

I carry a cell phone and knife in a fanny pack around my waist. I always drive alone -- 6-8 miles down the road. In the 7 years I've owned this horse, nothing has happened going down the road and depending on what happened, don't know what I could do alone even if I had everything in the pleasure show spares kit.

So for you drivers who drive alone down the road, could you tell me what you carry with you.

Thanks.

Cellphone, knife, lead shank, off bug spray (for the horse and me), I drive with a halter on my horse, pistol.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I have the pleasure show spares kit in my carriage tucked under the seat. Once in awhile it has come in handy - tightening a bolt, punching a hole, or something like that. Personally I find it nice to know I have the stuff right there just in case.

BTW, I do use some of the stuff at home, such as the wheel wrench or hole punch and having it in the carriage makes it easy to find.

FWIW, I drive an antique runabout so there is plenty of room under the seat. The tools are also neatly tucked into a naugehide case so they are organized and confined.

Christa

I always drive alone. I carry identification, a cell phone, Swiss army knife, hoofpick, and clothing layers for our ever-changing Colorado weather (including rain/snow gear). I wear a helmet.

Salt and I go out for quite a while but we're usually no more than two or three miles from home at most (frequently closer), and if I had a problem, my husband or daughter could drive out to me pretty quickly if they are home. Of course the only time I've had a problem, my kid wasn't driving yet and my hubby was nowhere to be found. I had a flat tire on my cart and had to walk home and ground drive the pony (about a mile). I have mobility issues due to disability but can walk a couple of miles if I have to. I try not to get further away than I could walk. So I'll go out in one direction and then loop back in a circle, or go one way for a mile or two, come back by the house and go a mile or two in the other direction.

I don't get flat tires on the cart any more because I have airless tires now (bought right after the flat tire incident!). Pneumatic tires just don't work around here due to thorns and prickly pears. I know a lot of people think bike tires on carts are awful, but I've been driving on them for eight years, often on rough terrain, and the wheels have held up just fine.

I don't bother with a halter because my ponies ground drive well, and I could easily improvise a halter and lead out of the lines if I really had to. I also could just leave the cart along the road if it got munched, lead the horse home and come back and get the cart with the truck.

I also know people along all our driving routes, and many of them have horse trailers and would be willing to rescue us if needed.

So for all those reasons, I don't worry about carrying a lot. It would be very different if I were further from home.

Rebecca

If you're planning to compete at Pleasure shows, carry a rain sheet for your horse. I know its checked and scored if you don't have one, (although.. if its not going to rain during my drive.. why would I carry one???). Sigh.. I feel the "Spares Kit" is nice but it isn't entirely practical.. there's so much more .. but we're a sport stuck in tradition and cell phones are traditional.. LOL. Although the CAA Carriage Driving Proficiency looks for ID and a cell phone in your "drive away from home" collection of items.

Cheers!
    Pao Lin

I go down the road, so far nothing farther than 4 miles, but I need to start figuring out a longer route, because I want to get my hackney doing 6-8 miles in prep for a fantasy CDE that we'll never do. LOL.

Now that I've got Chewbacca broke to drive, once he's more ready, he'll be seeing the roads, too, and I'll look to do 6+ miles with him too eventually.

I always bring a cell phone and some tools (nothing fancy- don't have a nice spares kit, just some stuff in the box spares box), and a drink! LOL. Sometimes I forget it, though, but I usually try to bring along a bottled water.

http://www.kshai1715.wordpress.com
    Horses. Life. Photography.

Quote Originally Posted by paohatch View Post
    If you're planning to compete at Pleasure shows, carry a rain sheet for your horse. I know its checked and scored if you don't have one, (although.. if its not going to rain during my drive.. why would I carry one???). Sigh.. I feel the "Spares Kit" is nice but it isn't entirely practical.. there's so much more .. but we're a sport stuck in tradition and cell phones are traditional.. LOL. Although the CAA Carriage Driving Proficiency looks for ID and a cell phone in your "drive away from home" collection of items.

Cheers!
    Any type of cooler or sheet will work in the spares kit at a show, it doesn't need to be a rain sheet. Currently I am using light weight fly sheets to fulfill this requirement.

Christa

Full spares kit, halter and lead, cell phone, sharp scissors, rain sheet, and VETWRAP. I've had occasion to use every single one of these items at some time or another.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I do anywhere from 5 to 15 miles in the woods, usually with other folks in carts or riders. I carry a soft collapsable bucket so that when we come to water (often just a pump) I can get water for my horse. I can also throw water on him if he is hot without dropping the cart.

As we have been known to encounter downed branches and trees that we can;t get around or over, I carry a foldable hand saw (a 6 or 7 inch jagged blade can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot). We have had to cut a bunch of branches and small trees. Once we even unhitched Zanzer and set up a rope system to pull a tree out of the way enough to get the carts by. I can usually get over small logs under 12 14 inches if they have no branches.

Also carry small nippers in case of getting caught in vines.

Always carry my halter and lead rope tied to my cart.

Duct and electrical tape--if harness part fails, these will get you home in a pinch.

I have heavy duty tires and rims on my cart. So I check them periodically for air. Don;t carry a spare. Yes I could getg a flat if punctured, but it would take a heck of stick to punch that tire. They are knobbies and pretty heavy duty. They have innertubes. See below.

http://pets.webshots.com/album/576731302TcjijP

Also carry a bandanna, vetwrap and a few 4 by 4 sterile pads, just a basic kit if needed.

But where I drive is not for the faint of heart. I go down places where people tell me carts can;t get through!!!

I heard someone suggest that carrying a can of hornet/wasp spray might not be a bad idea in case you have to discourage a bad dog. They spray from a long (think safe) distance.

Just be sure to get the kind with a cap that only allows your finger to hit the trigger in one direction. That way, in an emergency, you won't fumble and accidentally spray yourself.

Any type of cooler or sheet will work in the spares kit at a show, it doesn't need to be a rain sheet. Currently I am using light weight fly sheets to fulfill this requirement.

Christa

Thanks!
    Pao Lin

Comfortable walking shoes or boots, in case I need to ground drive or lead back.

ID for my horse: my name and number, as well as that of my vet, taped to his harness, in case we become separated.

We need to get a can of wasp spray to ward off unfriendly dogs and predatory humans. In the meantime, if we have a passenger, they carry a longe whip for smacking the nasties.

Twine, electrical tape, zip ties...no brainers that may go a long way to get us home.

I'm a type I diabetic, so I always have glucose tablets or emergency food in my pocket.

My gelding, Mingus, loves to drink from a water bottle, which is very convenient on the trail!

Flashlight. Not that I ever intend to be out late enough to need it, but did I mention that I'm paranoid?

Something delicious to eat for humans and for equines, just because.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth