The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Useful Iphone Apps for trail riding / GPS

Anyone have any great Iphone apps that you use on the trails? GPS, etc?

Kim
    www.GallopingGrape.com
    Equine & Wine
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

I use endomondo on my android phone. It's very likely available for IPhone, as well. It's a handy app that uses your gps to track you and give you feedback about mileage, time splits, etc. You can also see your track on a google satellite map.

I was using My Tracks on my android. I love it, but now the gps is not tracking correctly (the track is recorded as a squiggly line so extra distance is added). I am not sure if it is the gps on my phone or the app. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but maybe I will tried endomondo.
    "We are all doing the best we can from our own level of consciousness.”
    ― Deepak Chopra

I also use Endomondo on my Droid, and I love it.

I have a friend who used sMaps on her phone.

I've got runmeter on mine, I like it; I can do custom routes and tracking, even custome activities. I even use it to track different categories of mowing on my zero-turn (house, farm, fencelines, etc). Check it out :=)
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I have used Endomondo and runkeeper, free and pretty good. I prefer MotionX GPS. I mostly use it just to see speed/distance/elevation/map. I did also use it for wayfinding recently (an area with badly marked trails) and found it very useful. It has a bit more of a learning curve, but with integrated maps you download you don't need network service for it to work. It was worth the few bucks.

Unfortunately where I go trail riding, you can't get a signal.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Endomondo has worked for me even when there is no cell signal. It must be working off the gps alone. I don't know if it will start without a cell signal, but it has held my track on rides of several hours in areas with no phone service.

It isn't perfect. Sometimes my mileage varies, even though I've gone the same route as a previous trip, and it will lose the track in canyon/coniferous forest, just like most gps units (when it picks up again you will see a straight line on your map between where it lost the satellites and where it picked up again), but I find it very handy and it's a free app. I use it on a Droid 2 Global, which is a Motorola product with a pretty strong antennae.

Equibrit: that is why i like motionX. You can download maps of the area when you have a signal, then go on a ride. Most of my trails I have no signal either. (edited to say, this is sounding like an ad for the software! I am in NO way affiliated, just have used it successfully for a couple years)
    Last edited by irish_horse; Jul. 27, 2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: explaining my support

I recently joined the ranks of the smartphones (after many years with a Tracfone, so you can see I've significantly moved up in the world!) and have started using endomondo on my Crackberry to track my trail riding, arena riding and walking. I like it! It seems accurate and I like seeing how many miles I've gone and what my/my horses' rates of speed all are. I also like giving myself credit for walking and keeping track of my own distances and routes. It is accurate in tracking each horses's average spped at each gait, too. I already knew who was the fastest and who is the slowest horse, but now I know it according to my GPS, lol. It will be more fun to use in the fall when I can start trailering out to trail ride again, when our weather cools off, and see how it works out in the open desert and hilly areas, and see where I've been when I'm out riding and am not really sure how far I went, etc. I chose endomondo because it was free, and a lot of Blackberry users seemed to like it.

My ranch horse also blogged recently about his own opinion of endomondo. Suffice to say, he's not super enthusiastic about it like I am.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

friend of mine uses Accuterra and maps out her rides, but it's time consuming to mark in turns, etc but the final version is a neat map you can print out especially if there aren't any maps available for that area. She does say it runs the battery down, so you need to have an extra battery just in case.

Stupid question about these apps. I have Endomondo on mine. But problems I have are:
    1) how the heck to you "mount" the phone so you can see it while riding? I event so would like to use it to monitor my distance and speed.
    2) how do you deal with it going into its downmode, ie turns itself off so you have hit the button then unlock it to see the screen again? While you are riding?

Motion X user here, with my iPhone. Works awesome. During endurance rides it sends my husband an update email every 1 hour showing my tracks, speed, location, etc. He worries when I'm away at those kind of rides, so it makes him happy. It was $0.99 cents to download it. I also use an Exo-Gear auxillary battery pack and keep the whole thing in a dry pack attached to the front of my saddle. That way when I sponge or pour water on the horse, I don't have to worry about the phone. I have a Cobra battery pack charger back in camp and on vet checks I just plug the phone in to charge it, if needed.

What are the advantages of using a smart phone application over using a "real" GPS unit? Assuming one does not already have a smart phone...

If you have a GPS app, you only have to carry your phone.. not a phone and a GPS.
    Kim
    www.GallopingGrape.com
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

The issue I had with using any of these apps on my iPhone was that they always required the phone to be on and "alert" the whole time, and it would run down the battery like crazy -- leaving me without extra battery time in case of an emergency, so I went with a regular GPS unit. But perhaps I should look into those auxiliary battery packs that Auventera mentions. I do like the email update feature - I tried one app that was supposed to send text messages, but it never did, only emails. In the meantime, I found a regular GPS that can still "read" through the fabric of my trail vest, and I just turn it on and stick it in a pocket and forget about it until the end of the ride.

'plash

My son uses MapMyRide for his bike rides which has sister apps of MapMyRun and MapMyHike. I haven't been able to lift his phone to try out MapMyHike as an application that could be used for trail riding....may have to get my own smart phone....
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Default great iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    Anyone have any great Iphone apps that you use on the trails? GPS, etc?

Kim
    www.GallopingGrape.com
    Equine & Wine
    There is nice app in app store now: EQUiTrail. I really like this app! It is designed for trail riding! finally there is one - i was looking for it long time. You can save and share your map with friends. Take photos and add annotations on the map.

I have an Android phone, and love the MyTracks app (it's free!). A quick google reveals that there's a MyTracks for iPhone, as well (at the same great price).

The only feature that MyTracks doesn't have that I wish it did, would be to indicate on the track in which direction you were traveling. I've been checking other apps whenever I hear of one, to see if they offer that feature but have not yet found one that does.