The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need dress boot recommendations

My Konigs Grand Gesters are finally on death's door. They have served me well, more than 10 years, but they are finally worn through completely on the inside calf. I was thinking of just getting another pair of the exact same boots, but another rider recommended Petrie boots (ordered online from Dressage extensions) and they are a lot cheaper than Konigs. Anyone have experience with these boots? I was also looking at the Ariat Tempo dressage boot which looks very nice. Does anyone have these? I am looking for a stiff boot which will last a long time.

I have Petries that I got from DressageExtensions. I can't say too much on durability because I got mine 2 years ago come September and only wear them for shows (besides riding in them when I first got them). But so far they seem to be great and are still in great condition.

I've had Ariats for years, but not tempos as mine are an older model.... they hold up really well and the sizing just seems to work for me. I wear mine on a daily basis and they're still nice and stiff and clean up very well.

If you wanted to keep your boots and not buy new ones, you could get a large patch (from the top of the calf down to the ankle) sewn on by hand or by a boot repair/cobbler with a long arm shoe machine.

I sewed a new outer piece on the calf on my daily riding boots because of the daily use and horse sweat had destructed (cracks in the leather and worn through) my boots and I wasn't willing to get rid of them yet. It was the best thing I have done to save my boots.

You might consider Dehners. Pricey, but fabulous.

http://dehner.com/customboots_riding.html

Default Cavallo

I've had my Cavallo boots for 11 years, and would get another pair in a heartbeat, I love them! Not sure if they are any cheaper than Konigs though, depends on what model you get I think.

http://www.cavallo.info/en/produkte_reitstiefel_dressur

I own the Petries (the least expensive version I could get - the 3000 model I think? that I got from DE) and ride in them daily - have for years. They really hold up well. Have read in the past that Konigs are stiffer than the Petries. My Petries are the stiffest boot I've ever ridden in BUT I have never ridden in Konigs.

I broke in my Petries by riding in them twice a week for about a month. Then I bit the bullet and started riding in them daily. Very little discomfort during the break in period.

I have heard that the more expensive Petries are supposed to be stiffer - call DE - they really know their boots and should be able to compare. But I have found the Petries to be stiff enough to be effective without the torture of breaking in a stiffer boot like the Konigs.
    Last edited by Valentina_32926; Jul. 28, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Now in Kentucky

Default Stick with the Konigs

I have an old pair of Konigs that I ride in everyday. I love them beyond belief, but they are dying. I bought the highest end Petries to replace them a few years ago, and in spite of breaking them in very well, they are NOT as comfy as the Konigs. The difference is in the foot and where the ankle seam hit on me. For some reason, the Petries continue to be too tight over my ankle bone, and I get rubs!

If you've got the bucks, stick with the Konigs. The leather shines up better, too.
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Camstock View Post

http://dehner.com/customboots_riding.html
    LOVE mine. Would buy again. Just be sure someone does a good job measuring you and err on the large size for your calf.

I own the Petries (the least expensive version I could get - the 3000 I think? that I got from DE) and ride in them daily - have for years. They really hold up well. Have read in the past that Konigs are stiffer than the Petries. My Petries are the stiffest boot I've ever ridden in BUT I have never ridden in Konigs.

I have heard that the more expensive Petries are supposed to be stiffer - call DE - they really know their boots and should be able to compare. But I have found the Petries to be stiff enough to be effective without the torture of breaking in a stiffer boot like the Konigs.
    Same here.
    I own my Petries for 4 years now, riding 6-10 times a week with them, still look brand new. I own the ones with the zip.

I'm in the same boat, time to replace my OLD, OLD Konigs. I'm considering going rogue and replacing them with the Ariat Volant (the RED ones!!!).

My opinion...

I rode in Königs Gran Gester for all my life. Some years ago I thought about saving some money and got a pair of Petries...

All I can say.. There is a huge difference and its not possible to compare those Petries with the Königs. I still only wear Königs...

I can't speak to the Petries. I have Ariat Maestros that I've worn for about 5 years, but not every week- more like a couple of months out of the year. I don't take great care of them, but they have held up moderately well. There's a seam that is coming undone along the back of one boot, and the leather lining has holes in one boot, and there are some small cracks on the top on the inside of one boot (the flaws are spread between the boots ^_^). The thing I hated about them was the footbed is multiple pieces, and I had to glue down the part that fits in the heel because otherwise it would move around.
    I decided to get boots with zippers after I got a charlie horse pulling them off one day, and then I happened across a good deal on some Konigs. Even though they didn't have zippers I bought them anyway. Turns out they are about a half inch too big in the calf, so I'm going to have them taken in and zippers put in. I'm almost afraid to do it though because they are SO NICE. The quality of the ariats can't hold a candle to them. I'll know more when I can actually ride in them, but at this point the konigs appear to be a much better boot.
    I actually did a survey when I was considering boots- it's here:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/po...ts&pollid=2023 My survey only includes 4 brands though, and ariat is not one of them. Hope it helps though.

I wear Konigs...
    Got a great deal on them used a few years ago, I ride in them all the time and they are holding up just fine. Did take me awhile to get used to them, though, they are my first dress boot. I rode in field boots until it was no longer optional
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit amphetamines.

Anyone have the Ariat Hunter Dress boot?

My list of Dress Boots:

First pair (8 years ago) Ariat Hunter dress, replaced zippers 3 times and wore them through in under 2 years and not stiff enough.

Second pair: Ariat Meastros, replaced zippers 2 times and leather cracked apart, again under 2 years and not stiff enough.

Third:Custom Dehners:Love the stiffness, leather cracking and wearing through on inside, outside looks great, replaced zippers twice. Going on 4 years.

Currently looking for a new pair. Love Konigs years ago but the one dealer in the area went out of business. I don't think I am hard on my boots. I am in and out of them 6 days a week and wear them for a couple of hours at a time. So I will be watching this thread with interst..

Kroop Boots....better & cheaper than Dehners
    http://www.kroopboots.com

I love my Cavallo's....and save a bundle by purchasing them from online European retailers.

http://www.panache-equestrian.co.uk/

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo...age/index.html

I bought Mountain Horse (yes, I know this is a low life non custom brand) Firenze boots, they have elastic with the zipper, heavy duty zipper, and are the most comfortable dressage boots that i have ever put on ( I have $900 custom extra stff, medial calf cut out Koenigs) Unless (and maybe not even then) I were going to the Olympics ( or even had 1.100000000000000 chance, but probably not even then) I wouls still go for the Mountain Horse Firenze