The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lutalyse for Anhidrosis?

Anyone try this? I am wondering if it works and if there are any risks to trying it. Thanks.

My vet said anytime you can force them to sweat you have a shot at restarting their sweating normally. He had me try 10cc of clenbuterol because that is what we had on hand. That did not cause her to sweat however. I would try a shot of dormosedan before I tried lutalyse. Many horses sweat from that and it doesn't have the intense cramping that lutalyse does.

I know four horses who were given Lutalyse last summer. All four had moderate to severe cramping for about twenty minutes. They all sweat like pigs for two weeks and then went right back to not sweating at all. My horse also quit sweating last summer and I opted not to try it based on the other horses I knew.

I PM'ed you back but I'm going to reply here too.

Hi, so was your vet familiar at all with Lutalyse? Has he done it for non-sweaters before? With my horse I think we dosed him at 2cc once every 4-7 days for a month or two. Now I dose him at 0.4 cc before I ride in the morning every day or every other day. They do NOT cramp on this low dose. This lower dose generally does not make them sweat on their own, but with just a little bit of work they sweat. You would not know my guy was a non-sweater if you just saw him at the ring, because well--he sweats! I've taken him on trail rides and had another horse match pace with us--he starts sweating with the other horse and sweats just as much. Of course there are still days where he does not sweat quite as much, and he still breathes a little harder than normal. However, with the Lutalyse his recovery after a ride is much quicker, he is brighter and more willing to work. He is actually starting to pick up sweating at rest better, which is fantastic.

My guy started not sweating in February. I could not ride him for two months, except for a couple times where I rode at 3 a.m. It's late July and I just horse showed three weeks in a row and have one more this weekend in the AO hunters. I'd say I've returned to our normal, high-level of performance.

However, this is not an exact science and you're going to need to work closely with a vet on this one since it's a Rx only drug. I work for my vet so that's been a big help.

Let me know how it goes!

uggh I would take two weeks of sweating for 20 minutes of cramping right now...this weather is unrelenting
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Unfortunately, I got no results from the lutalyse, other than the sweating profusely right after the shot. His coat is getting so dry now, I am getting desperate to find an answer!

I was afraid that would happen! A woman at my current barn just tried it for her horse this week and same thing, horse sweat for a day and now nothing. It just does not last. The only thing I can suggest to you is adding major salt to the feed (plain white table salt). I have been giving my guy 1/2 cup every other day in his grain and he is still sweating even though we have been in the 100s here for weeks and weeks. Last year he did not sweat a drop the ENTIRE summer and the major salt is the only change I have done to his feeding.

sigh....we have been adding the salt for over two weeks....horse came from canada two years ago, I just think he wants to go back
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Salt just makes my guy pee more!! I'm getting ready to try acupuncture. I think his was brought on by stress from an injury and resulting drugs, so maybe acupuncture could get him back on track. I'm getting desparate, as the heat is not relenting.