The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default This just in...

For Immediate Release
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011
    Technology Manager

American Saddlebred Registry continuing normal business operations

Lexington, Kentucky - The Registry would like to note that during this time of document production, the ASR will remain open, continuing all normal business operations. If there are any questions please feel free to call 859-259-2742.

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by asb_own_me View Post
    This mess is hardly unique to the ASHA. This crap goes on everywhere..
    No, that's my point: it really DOESN'T.

Crooked trainers, sure, no question, they're everywhere. (But in other disciplines, they do NOT use their position as carded USEF judges to fix entire horse shows for personal gain... Because any judge who tried to pull that sh*t in H/J or elsewhere would get protested by at least one person in every single class and would end up going on a nice, long, mandatory vaycay. It boggles my MIND that Planet ASB puts up with this sh*t.)

And when was the last time you heard of *any* USEF Affiliate organization stealing from its members to perpetuate litigation filed by it against... other members? Name me one other time. And when was the last time you heard of a USEF Affiliate organization CLOSING ITS DOORS 3 weeks before its national show? Try never.

Y'all ASB people are so used to getting d*cked that you don't even understand how FAR off the reservation this Association really is... Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Ah, but the point is Stars, that a central person crying foul regarding Mother Mary was involved in some transfers that should be brought out during that wrongful termination deal (including one involving a rescue I've come to find out). So why whistle blow if you aren't that clean?

And yes, I too have heard from unimpeachable sources regarding Mother Mary and don't know what the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
    Nope, it's not. They did the same during WEG when the office was on the same grounds and it was the perfect opportunity to promote the breed - stating that they were having staff stay home due to traffic. I was there for 12 days and NEVER had a traffic issue. Did have issues with the staff and booth volunteers not knowing when our demos were.

So, the ASHA has done this before.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by CA ASB View Post
    So why whistle blow if you aren't that clean?
    Because you aren't that bright, either.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Nope, it's not. They did the same during WEG when the office was on the same grounds and it was the perfect opportunity to promote the breed - stating that they were having staff stay home due to traffic. I was there for 12 days and NEVER had a traffic issue. Did have issues with the staff and booth volunteers not knowing when our demos were.

So, the ASHA has done this before.
    Please do NOT get me started about the CF that was the ASHA's WEG presentation. While my hat is off to those who brought out their lovely show horses to present to the world, the fact that the President of the ASHA knowingly put in place a team who had virtually no experience, or interest, in the sport horse world (you know, like what was competing at WEG) squandered the very best marketing opportunity the breed has ever seen. For that alone, she should be GONE!

And if you think she isn't driving the bus on these other issues, I want some of what you are smokin'.

No, that's my point: it really DOESN'T.

Crooked trainers, sure, no question, they're everywhere. (But in other disciplines, they do NOT use their position as carded USEF judges to fix entire horse shows for personal gain... Because any judge who tried to pull that sh*t in H/J or elsewhere would get protested by at least one person in every single class and would end up going on a nice, long, mandatory vaycay. It boggles my MIND that Planet ASB puts up with this sh*t.)

And when was the last time you heard of *any* USEF Affiliate organization stealing from its members to perpetuate litigation filed by it against... other members? Name me one other time. And when was the last time you heard of a USEF Affiliate organization CLOSING ITS DOORS 3 weeks before its national show? Try never.

Y'all ASB people are so used to getting d*cked that you don't even understand how FAR off the reservation this Association really is... Closing its doors in a fit of the sulks without the consent of its own Board of Directors is absolutely UNPRECEDENTED.
    I didn't specify "this crap" to only mean the association having it's little stompy-feet-breath-holding-temper-tantrum. It was a generalization.

And yes, this crap does go on in other breed orgs. The IDHSNA is having an ongoing hissy fit of some proportions, going so far as to censure and suspend membership privileges of their equivalent of our "Concerned Members" for the *gasp* horrors of sharing their opinions of the mess in public. Can you imagine how many ASHA members would have been suspended at this point if the ASHA took the same stance? Based on postings on the ASB Voice FB page alone......wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Breed association politics can make Church/church politics look like an elemtary schoolyard get-together.
    I am reminded of the old joke: The reason academic politics is so cut-throat is that the stakes are so small.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

I didn't specify "this crap" to only mean the association having it's little stompy-feet-breath-holding-temper-tantrum. It was a generalization.

And yes, this crap does go on in other breed orgs. The IDHSNA is having an ongoing hissy fit of some proportions, going so far as to censure and suspend membership privileges of their equivalent of our "Concerned Members" for the *gasp* horrors of sharing their opinions of the mess in public. Can you imagine how many ASHA members would have been suspended at this point if the ASHA took the same stance? Based on postings on the ASB Voice FB page alone......wow.
    Oh yeah.. I cancelled my AQHA membership back when everything they did revolved around the "white rules". Oh god.. that was a mess. Bunch of monkeys fighting over the football...

The IDHSNA
    ...is not an official USEF breed affiliate. ASHA *is*, and as such, is required to adhere to the rules and regulations of USEF. HUGE difference. Which is why I think it's so important that ASHA stay within USEF. At least that way, we all have recourse at rated shows and under USEF rules.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Stars, you and I are on the same page regarding the WEG thing. I know my hand was slapped when my hard working horse wasn't even acknowledged by the ASHA as having even been there - much less the fact that she was the only one there longer than 4 days.

And I ain't smokin' crack, either.

But anyone who doesn't think this doesn't go on w/other breeds? The Friesians (much smaller than the ASBs) have so much innuendo and stuff going on (between IFSHA and FHANA) that I feel like I'm in Salem with my head spinning when I listen to them.

...is not an official USEF breed affiliate. ASHA *is*, and as such, is required to adhere to the rules and regulations of USEF. HUGE difference. Which is why I think it's so important that ASHA stay within USEF. At least that way, we all have recourse at rated shows and under USEF rules.
    I said "other breed orgs", not "USEF affiliate breed orgs". But carry on with getting the last word. Because obviously, USEF affiliated breed orgs ALWAYS follow USEF rules and regs to the letter

I said "other breed orgs", not "USEF affiliate breed orgs". But carry on with getting the last word. Because obviously, USEF affiliated breed orgs ALWAYS follow USEF rules and regs to the letter
    I'm not trying to get the last word, I'm just trying to make it abundantly clear that there is a WORLD of difference between a non-USEF affiliate breed organization and a USEF affiliate BECAUSE: The USEF umbrella at LEAST gives exhibitors *recourse* that they do not otherwise have if an affiliate fails follow USEF rules. The fact that Planet ASB (and any other Breed Planets you care to Trot out) prefer to just whisper and name-call and never make use of that recourse is a pity, b/c honestly the bigger disciplines DO make use of it. And that's probably one real good reason why they ARE the bigger disciplines.

If you choose to be a member of a breed organization that chooses not to affiliate w/ USEF, then you have no recourse against the whims and vagaries of your officers and directors and you take your chances by joining.

As to WEG, I totally agree that it was a train wreck but why did you expect anything else??.

...ASHA definitely forgets the words "thank you" unless you're a Kentucky BNT, I'm sure we can all agree on that, too. And I haven't done even 1/1000th as much as y'all have done, so I totally understand why you'd be upset! I'm just amazed that you're not MORE upset.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    Please do NOT get me started about the CF that was the ASHA's WEG presentation. While my hat is off to those who brought out their lovely show horses to present to the world, the fact that the President of the ASHA knowingly put in place a team who had virtually no experience, or interest, in the sport horse world (you know, like what was competing at WEG) squandered the very best marketing opportunity the breed has ever seen. For that alone, she should be GONE!
    About the Saddlebred demos at WEG (and I will NOT get into a big debate with you as I know your position...just hoping you'll try to see the "other side" of this...)

I think the ASHA was trying to showcase our breed in the disciplines that were NOT part of WEG...I am bknow there were LOTS of people there at WEG who had never seen a Saddlebred before...I watched the ASBs demos almost 10 of 16 days of WEG, and I was surrounded by people who didn't know what the difference between a QH, an ASB, a MFT or a Hackney. They loved seeing all the breeds and the best way to differentiate our ASBs from all the others is by showcasing WHAT WE DO BEST AND DIFFERENT from the other breeds.
    The Foxtrotters were showing their show horses, the Hackneys were showing what best showcased their breed, the TWH were showing their show horses (flat shod, thank you) and so on.

Why would we be at WEG and show everyone what they were seeing all week? And, not wanting to down play our horses' abilities to do those WEG disciplines, why would we show a Volkswagon at a Cadillac show? Our breed does not yet have those 4* and 4th level, Grand Prix horses. They would have not measured up to the top-level performances we were seeing at WEG all week.

So, the commoner (non-horse educated public) comes to WEG, sees the BEST in the WORLD at the WEG disciplines, and then we put our Saddlebreds out in fromt of them and have them show the same disciplines? Nope. Not good marketing if we want new people to get interested in our breed. They gotta love the horse, the beauty of the breed, their personalities, their brilliance, etc., first...then they'll find out all of what they can do with their Saddlebred.

The people who were in those stands each and every day, were mostly non-horse people, but there were also people who knew the WEG disciplines well and knew what GOOD horses performing those disciplines were supposed to look like.

If you turn it around, Ravel would look like a Volkswagen at our horse shows....he simply would not measure up, even if he had the show horse abilities our ASBs do. It is simply NOT what sets him apart from our horses. Saddlebreds are good at many things....but they EXCEL at being show horses.

The WEG demos were GRAND! Little kids on horses, in show ring attire, racking and trotting around the ring with big smiles on their faces and our grand horses taking good care of them and looking proud and happy about their work.

We (everyone who loves the ASB) were selling the breed to the general public at WEG....not to the sport horse world. I hope you can try to see this from the other point of view.

You should have packed up your gear and brought your sport horse Saddlebreds to WEG...I know they were looking for great groups to participate in the Equine Village almost up until the start of WEG.

And, while I was involved with WEG and I love Saddlebreds, I am not involved with the ASHA..that's another whole ball of wax.

Harry Callahan is FEI level and doing well, so yes, we have at least one. Hilda Gurney has one or two as well out here. There was a 1/2 ASB on the South African endurance team - so to state that we're not competing there is incorrect.

And, I'm sorry - the audience that was there wanted horses that were approachable. I sat there and listened to the comments and while they thought the show horses were lovely, they were NOT going to buy them. I had multiple offers on my mare if I ever wanted to sell her. Why? Because she was something they could relate to. The show horses ARE exciting, but people could not relate.

As to participating almost all the way up to the end at Equine Village? Are you kidding? The horses had to be going through the FEI shot process since January. At the VERY last minute for inclusion (June), a small group of us (Stars included) tried our dangdest to get Harry and a competitive driving team in (BTW, the Hackneys did bring a competitive driving team - from the same stable where the ASBs are ... so can't tell me we didn't know about that).

And, what was the ASHA reaction to us trying to get Harry? "Who's Harry Callahan." Heard that with my own ears.

And yes, I did bring my horse to WEG, and whether the ASHA recognizes that or not, she was an incredible ambassador for the breed - as well as being the hardest working one there, spending *on average* six hours a day in the public eye, whether in clinics, demos, riding the Park, or down at the petting corral.

Don't get me wrong - I love the show horses, but that audience, other than the first night where they wanted a "show" wanted to see approachable horses that they could think of as being a part of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ASBsRBest View Post
    They gotta love the horse, the beauty of the breed, their personalities, their brilliance, etc., first...then they'll find out all of what they can do with their Saddlebred.
    Their Saddlebred? Not many of those people had ASBs. The idea is to give them a horse they can use right now today so that the hundreds and thousands of ASBs who can't win at Louisville have a job.

ASHA was responsible for putting together all the breed participants, not just those in the opening act. And they couldn't find one *ONE** FEI discipline horse? To be ANYwhere on the grounds They didn't even invite Harry Calahan? When a winning CDE horse was offered, his owner was given misinformation about the vaccinations and delayed to the point that the person who wanted to volunteer their time money and horse (ex winning five gaited horse now excelling in CDE) was put off entirely.

I'm sorry, but even though I love the show horses, and have gone that route for many years, and will again, they are only a small representation of what this breed has been doing since it's inception. People just don't know about it because it has been hush hush top secret as if the breeders, trainers and owners are ashamed of the top jumpers and other sport horses. And quite frankly, I've had just about all that I can tolerate of that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

SmartAlex - you don't have the whole story regarding that horse. PM me for info.

I'm not trying to get the last word, I'm just trying to make it abundantly clear that there is a WORLD of difference between a non-USEF affiliate breed organization and a USEF affiliate BECAUSE: The USEF umbrella at LEAST gives exhibitors *recourse* that they do not otherwise have if an affiliate fails follow USEF rules. The fact that Planet ASB (and any other Breed Planets you care to Trot out) prefer to just whisper and name-call and never make use of that recourse is a pity, b/c honestly the bigger disciplines DO make use of it. And that's probably one real good reason why they ARE the bigger disciplines.

If you choose to be a member of a breed organization that chooses not to affiliate w/ USEF, then you have no recourse against the whims and vagaries of your officers and directors and you take your chances by joining.
    Bless your heart!

Here I thought the purpose of joining breed organizations was to support the breeds you love and compete with - not to actively seek out governance above all else. Apparently I should drop RID/IDSH like hot potatoes due to the USEF's lack of "rules and regulations"on their affairs. Because, as I said before, the associations governed by the USEF are always beyond reproach!

Yes, I chose. I don't have a problem, either, because I wasn't complaining about either association Just shared a little taste of something that's been going on in that big, bad, outer space of USEF-less-ness

Quote Originally Posted by smokygirl View Post
    Oh yeah.. I cancelled my AQHA membership back when everything they did revolved around the "white rules". Oh god.. that was a mess. Bunch of monkeys fighting over the football...
    I don't think you understood what the problems with that rule and if to rescind it and the lawsuit involved with it were, if all you think it was is "a bunch of monkeys fighting over the football."

Just google "The White Rule, Melvin Hatley against the AQHA" for more.

There were very important legal precedents set there, that impacted all associations and were followed with much interest by all and they adjusted their bylaws according to the results of that lawsuit.

That lawsuit was one reason the AQHA decided to accept AI and embrio transfer and could not fight HYPP right off, once the science was there and tests available and is tiptoeing around cloning.
    The lawsuit determined how much any one association has the right to do and where it has to follow certain procedural guidelines, if it makes sense for the registry or not.

There is generally more to very involved stories as that one than a flippant comment can explain so lightly.

SmartAlex - you don't have the whole story regarding that horse. PM me for info.
    The bottom line is that even those horses who were in Kentucky were not invited. Horses with amazing show records and followings, like Harry Callahan, were not invited. The usual suspects in Kentucky were solicited, with their show horses, and there you have it.

There is more to this story, and more to the situation. The ASHA Committee;s are chaired by people who have actively participated in the areas controlled by the particular committee-- except for the sport horse committee. The chair of the sport horse committee is a wonderful lady, and lover of the breed, without question. Is she a competitor, with experience and roots in the sport horse world? No way. She is someone who the President can trust to not get too carried away with getting out of hand. You know, something might actually get done!

They have started a new program that has been discussed here, on COTH. I sincerely hope that they accomplish something with it, because, if not, the refrain from the top will be "SEE! WE gave you something- and you just did not get it done!"

The fact that the program took three years to put together, and that so many other possible ideas, support sytems, and promotions could also have been getting done, during the last decade, had anyone actually been permitted to, is just disgusting.