The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Arrow American Saddlebred Horse Assn "Closed Until Further Notice".

Since it's an official ASHA Press Release, I see no reason not to let any owners of Saddlebred or half-Saddlebred sport horses here know that effective tomorrow, Tuesday, July 26, the American Saddlebred Horse Association office in KY will be closed until further notice.

The Saddlebred REGISTRY will remain open for business.

Details at the link, and at www.saddlebredcentral.com.
    Last edited by War Admiral; Jul. 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Um, wow. Clearly things have been interesting in the few years that I've not been a member. I skimmed the documents, but does anyone know what the core issues are? The June 13 entry (ASHA sued by former employee) seems to give the most details...is this whole thing about the "Mother Mary Incident" or is that just the tip of the iceberg?
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Um, wow. Clearly things have been interesting in the few years that I've not been a member. I skimmed the documents, but does anyone know what the core issues are? The June 13 entry (ASHA sued by former employee) seems to give the most details...is this whole thing about the "Mother Mary Incident" or is that just the tip of the iceberg?
    Tip of the iceberg.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

So what's the "Mother Mary" incident?

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    So what's the "Mother Mary" incident?
    I was wondering the same thing. Sounds juicy.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

http://www.saddlebredcentral.com/wp-..._Complaint.pdf

That should be the PDF about Mother Mary.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    http://www.saddlebredcentral.com/wp-..._Complaint.pdf

That should be the PDF about Mother Mary.
    Was that the same Alan Balch who used to be the head of the AHSA/USEF?

Shame. A long time ago, I used to work in the gift shop at the American Saddlebred Horse Museum.

Can someone explain what exactly the Mother Mary incident is? Not much detail in the PDF, since it's mostly about the wrongful termination part for a civil case...curious!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Was that the same Alan Balch who used to be the head of the AHSA/USEF?
    Yep.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hmmm. Well, there are two sides to every story but if plaintiff has the documentation to support the allegations, seems like a reasonable filing. I guess I do wonder how/why that would prompt closing of office til further notice though.

Makes for fascinating reading.

Is there more information available for reading on ASHA or ASB sites?

I had forgotten that Alan Balch was the head of the ASHA (hard for an oldie who was a member of the AHSA for decades to type ASHA instead. )

Boy, between Wild Eyed and Wicked and this, the saddlebred world sure knows how to throw a good, real life soap opera.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Yep.
    Well, huh.

The Mother Mary incident refers to the ownership transfer of the registered ASB mare named Mother Mary. Apparently the mare was sold and the owners neglected to send the registration transfer in to the association. The new owners wanted the mare shown under their name at the World’s Championship horse show and Alan Balch “fast tracked” the transfer, apparently in violation of association rules. Jennifer Wasserzug reported the transaction to the BOD, and she was fired several weeks later. She is now suing ASHA for breaking the state's whistleblower laws.

ASHA has been ordered repeatedly by the court to allow members to view “any and all books and records” yet has appealed the rulings and lost every time. This last time, they had a date set with the members to view the documents, and did not produce everything requested. The members filed a request for contempt of court, and the subsequent ruling stated that ASHA has until August 5 to produce EVERYTHING or be found in contempt.

Apparently ASHA has determined that they need to close operations to comply with the court order. Interestingly enough, in court, they have stated that it would require a matter of hours to produce the requested documents – so it begs the question, why are they closing to do so?

I find this entire thing sad and disappointing. ASHA should have complied from the moment the court ordered them to, yet they continued to fight for privacy that is not accorded a non-profit association such as ASHA. They’ve spent untold tens of thousands of dollars for nothing, and keep putting out press releases that make them look guilty instead of reassuring members.

I hope this latest ruling means the end is in (close) sight. I’m so tired of it. I want to know what the members think is there, and I want to know why ASHA has been fighting so hard to keep it secret.

The concerned members and their supporters post on the ASB Voice page on Facebook, if anyone cares to read through the sniping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Makes for fascinating reading.

Is there more information available for reading on ASHA or ASB sites?

I had forgotten that Alan Balch was the head of the ASHA (hard for an oldie who was a member of the AHSA for decades to type ASHA instead. )

Boy, between Wild Eyed and Wicked and this, the saddlebred world sure knows how to throw a good, real life soap opera.
    I grew up around ASBs, the best description I can give anyone of the business is Dyansty or Falcon Crest - a world of sex, gossip, money and occaisonally horses. Part of the entertainment is seeing what last name the top amateur rider's have in their advertisements. Often times it matches their trainer's
    Last edited by red mares; Jul. 26, 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Part of the entertaiment is seeing what last name the top amateur rider's have in their advertisements. Often times it matches their trainer's
    And will change each time they change trainers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    Apparently ASHA has determined that they need to close operations to comply with the court order. Interestingly enough, in court, they have stated that it would require a matter of hours to produce the requested documents – so it begs the question, why are they closing to do so?
    It was not stated in court that they could produce the records in matter of hours, IIRC. That statement was made by a member of BOD. I have some other brilliant statements made by members of the BOD that were not correct, either, that I can share with you. Like it or not, it is apparent to me that many members of the BOD really are not aware of everything that is happening at the ASHA. The, of course, begs the question as to why.

There are a whole bunch of good folks on the BOD, with great intentions. Which, of course, is allegedly what the path to hell is paved with.

At the top of all of this is one of the most powerful women to ever exist in any breed organization, to my knowledge. I blame her, directly, for the loss of Alan Balch, and for the cluster that was the ASHA's presentation at WEG.

While I do not agree with the CSMs across the board, and am completely dubious of their intent- originally, and now- the ASHA needs to do some house cleaning.

So the Registry is still open, to register horses and transfer ownerships, I assume. So what did the now-closed Association do? Put on shows? What will not be happening for Saddlebred owners while the Association is closed?

GREAT question! Will the horse show results go on the website? Will we be able to get any responses to questions via email? Since the current Director has been kept under wraps for her entire tenure, I suppose we won't miss her. Will they work on the magazine?

I mean, with a temper tantrum, isn't is often difficult to determine what the outcome will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffani B View Post
    The Mother Mary incident refers to the ownership transfer of the registered ASB mare named Mother Mary.

Oh. I saw the name of it and was afraid the church was somehow involved...

Seems like a lot of tempest in a teapot, right from the get go. But then again, I don't follow the ASB world.