The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dressage Barns California

I'm looking to put together a 'sales trip' (for myself) in California. Does anyone have any recommendations for barns in California with 4th Level/PSG horses for sale? Preferably around the San Jose area.. the more horses to try, the better!
    Looking for quality horses that would be competitive at national championships.

Thank you!

http://www.dgbarranch.com/
    A bit out of the way of San Jose but they have nice horses to offer.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Heidi Gaian and her mom are in Hollister, just south of San Jose. They're not cheap horses, but she has very legit horses, and she's a very good rider and trainer. http://vrdressage.com/ I'm sure she could also point you to some very good resources if she doesn't have what you need.

Liz Searle and Jeff Moore are also south of there in San Juan Bautista, and though I don't think they have many riding horses, they may be a good resource. http://www.osierlea.org/index.html They sort of are associated with Dr. Deb Harrison who breeds Dutch horses and Chelsey Sibley has ridden a lot of her horses. Mostly she has yougn ones, but may be a resource. She's in San Juan Bautista, also. http://www.liolomasdutchwarmbloods.com/ I don't think Chelsey has any horses, but, again, she may be a good resource.

You might also want to look at BAEN to see what's for sale in there, as it's N. CA based, and get some ideas who to talk to. http://www.bayequest.info/

There are several within travel range of San Jose. Check out, Christiane Noelting Dressage Center in Vacaville, Michael Etherly Dressage in Wilton, & I agree with checking out Chelsey Sibley. DG Bar has some very nice horses as well. Good luck!

hey stripes, whatcha doin? if you are wondering who I am, violeta del valle is my clue!

arabsrock

ditto Osierlea, Dr Harrison and Chelsea Sibley. And ditto DG BAr.

Thomas Walker Dressage in Nipomo. He's on the way from San Jose and DGBar

Quote Originally Posted by rizzodm View Post
    http://www.dgbarranch.com/
    A bit out of the way of San Jose but they have nice horses to offer.
    For some reason I was under the impression that Willy just imports/breeds young horses? Am I mistaken?

http://www.dgbarranch.com/horsesales/
    There are some riding horses, but maybe not what you're looking for. Make sure you have a thorough vet check. They aren't very close. It's a 3 hour drive from San Jose to Hanford. 3 1/2 to Nipomo. If you're going that way, might as well go over the Grapevine and to LA and look at horses there. Leslie Webb is in Bakersfield, but it doesn't look like she has any sale horses. http://www.lesliewebb.com/ (4 hour drive.)

What is the dressage capital of Cali? I only chose San Jose because I found a horse there that I would really like to see.

Definitely DG Bar Ranch and I certainly wouldn't go by what's on the website because Willy constantly gets new horses of all levels in.

Call him and he'll tell you what's available.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Xpression View Post
    What is the dressage capital of Cali?
    Definitely down in LA and San Diego from Malibu down to Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe.

That said, you have gotten some good names to start with. What you are looking for will probably be found via word of mouth.

If you're interested in heading down to the San Diego area I know of several places to recommend.

AS PP said, south. San Jose is not a central dressage area. The bay area has a lot of dressage and you can find what you want, but it's not as organized. LA starting north I know Hilda is in Moorpark, Leslie Moore and I think Guenter are more near LAEC, Steffen by San Diego. South you will get a lot more--more money, more horses, more Olympic and international level riders.

You might also want to check with Nadine Pestana. Her daughter won the young riders last year and she works with Denny Callin to bring in horses, so she might have a horse for you or a line on one. She's in Livermore.
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ival-champions

More FEI horses in So-Cal, but there are many nice horses and wonderful FEI trainers in Nor-Cal as well. You might want to spend a few days in each area.

Nadine is in Nor-Cal. You will also find some sales barns (such as Gail McGuffy), and some trainers such as Mike Etherly, Heidi Gaian, Lilo Fore, Tonya Vik, Christiane Noelting, Liz Hendrix, Ann/Sandy Howard, etc who often have sales horses in their barns or who might have some leads for you.

Willy (DG Bar) is always worth contacting for Dutch horses - the website is never complete, they have a lot of top quality horses coming and going. He is in Central CA - a bit out of the way, but definately worth a phone call - and there are some other trainers/sellers in the central coast area that are worth talking to.

So-Cal, many good names already mentioned. I'd also throw out a former Nor-Cal trainer, Sue Eoff, who often has a nice selection of horses at various levels.

Check Bay Area Equestrian Network and Southern California Equestrian Network and CDS Newsletters for some ads, and perhaps filter Warmbloods For Sale by location? With the down economy, many horses aren't advertised - so it may take making some cold-calls to find out what is really there.

One problem with shopping in California - it is a HUGE state - you can spend days traversing it. But it is hugely horse oriented, even Nor-Cal has several CDIs and multi-ring shows - you can find a show every other weekend without going very far.

Here's a not-complete listing of CDS breeders:
    http://www.california-dressage.org/h...er_listing.htm

I was checking my belief that Chelsey Sibley was still in Sonora (she moved a couple of years ago: www.chelseysibley.com/) and noticed that Christine Rivlin is listing horses for sale.

They're both north east of San Jose (a couple of hours) ... more in the Lilo Fore/Christiane Noelting direction.

If I wanted to see a lot of national-quality horses for sale in a very short amount of time, I'd probably go to Southern California, though.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Just FYI, Chelsey is east in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Christine is in Petaluma, north of SF about 45 minutes, and Lilo is in Santa Rosa, about 15 minutes north of Petaluma. They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Just FYI, .... They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!
    My aptitude for geography is limited to what's between A and C I lived on the Peninsula and for a really long time I got lost in the East Bay because I kept thinking of Oakland as "east of where I am".
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Quote Originally Posted by atlatl View Post
    Thomas Walker Dressage in Nipomo. He's on the way from San Jose and DGBar
    Actually, he just moved to Sweden.
    Daxia Digital: for all your social media and online marketing needs
    www.daxiadigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Just FYI, Chelsey is east in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Christine is in Petaluma, north of SF about 45 minutes, and Lilo is in Santa Rosa, about 15 minutes north of Petaluma. They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!
    I think the confusion is that Sonoma isn't that far from Petaluma. But SonoRa is in the foothills southeast of Stockton. And yes, Chesley is still there, she and her husband own the facility.

It is probably 3 hours from Sonora to Hanford (DG Bar) - they are both pretty isolated areas. But you can drive an hour from Sonora and get to Mike Etherly's, Starr Vaughn (sometimes they have higher level horses for sale), Luchetti Ranch (worth a call to see if Erika and Kevin have anything that far along), and Sandy Savage (who sometimes has 3rd/4th level horses for sale). Those four facilities are all within 10 minutes of each other. From there, you can hop back in the car and head for the Santa Rosa area - about a 2 hour drive, and stop on the way at Christiane Noeltings (about 1/2 way inbetween).