The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question National Drive Lexington?

This has probably been brought up before, and I apologize if it has.

I am just wondering about the National Drive at the KHP? Has anyone gone? Is there a lot of people attending and bringing their horses?

I'd like to go, probably not this year, but maybe next year, and am just wondering if it is a) fun b) educational c) worthwhile with the cost of hauling 2 horses, 2 cars, 2 trailers, and 2 meadowbrooks 400 miles? lol.

I have checked out their website, and looked through their photo albums, but to be honest, I just see the same few photos with the same few horses in it. I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people?

I think it would be fun to go even if just to drive around the KHP with the hackney and my QH, but it is a lot of time/money/effort involved to stay 2-3 days if there's not "that much" going on? Although the drive/breakfast thingie on Sunday morning sounds nice

Thanks !

This year it's timed at the same time as a CDE, so potentially, i think that could be cool to go watch the goings on when i'm not out driving. I've never been, but i know people who have, and i know it's more than 6 horses going! Much more, dont know the actual number, but it grows every year, and the ones i know that have gone have loved every minute of it. One of them went the first year without horses, met people, and drove out with them instead. She lurks on this board, so maybe she'll come out and talk about it.

I REALLY wanted to go this year. But with my mare's injury, she's not gonna make it, and i hate to go with just my mini, that kinda leaves my husband out of the fun unless he makes friends to give him rides, and my mini cant keep up with big horses for too long. I'm shooting for next year, but we have a move in August next year, to who knows what state, so if we get sent out west, it's probably gonna be a no go if i'm too far away.

The website must not have many photos. It's a big event! I hauled my two ponies up there in 2006 and had a blast driving all over the Park and in the arenas, attending clinics, visiting the KHP attractions and meeting lots of great people. There were about 200 turnouts there (that was the second annual Drive) so I imagine it's gotten even bigger since then. We had a strong COTH drivers group back then and several of them attended the Drive. Much fun was had by all. I'll be there this year but without my ponies. It's pretty easy to catch-ride with folks so that's what I'll be doing. My trainer and friend Bob Giles will be there and I'll probably help him out with the many things he'll be doing. We're also having our annual Haflinger owners get-together at the same time so I'm expecting double the fun this year.

In the heart of the Bluegrass state, Kentucky! Where chiggers and turkey mites abound.

Default WHAT!

I have checked out their website, and looked through their photo albums, but to be honest, I just see the same few photos with the same few horses in it. I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people

What event do you know of that post pics of all individuals planning on attending event? Obviously, you've never attended an event at KHP or any other large venue before! Better for you to get the facts and not count on your impressions. That's just a stupid statement. End of story....
    Earthdogs, you gotta dig 'em!

Wow, Centeur;

Why all the attitude. Totally uncalled for response to a simple question.

No, I have only been to the KHP once and that was over 10 years ago and there was no event going on. I don't live in Lexington, as you do according to your profile. I have always over 400 miles from there, so I don't really get to run down there for every event they hold so I can be as cocky and familiar with the place as you.

I have been to large venues before, and yes, matter of factly, I have seen much more well done websites with many more pictures that have enticed me to go. If it's something close by, I'll just go, information or not, but when it's massive adventure that going to cost me severa hundred or more dollars to do, I would like to have much infomation as possible.

Sorry if you think it's dumb of me to find out as much information as I can, but basically, I think it's stupid to think it's stupid for someone to ask questions about something they've never been to before.

Just because this is online and I don't know you and you don't know me doesn't mean you have the right to attack somebody for asking a f**king question. There is absolutely no reason for people to get so pissy, and if that's your attitude on life, you really need some help.

Wow Centeur, harsh response to honest questions!

I have heard nothing but great things about the National Drive!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

In the heart of the Bluegrass state, Kentucky! Where chiggers and turkey mites abound.

I get the impression from their website that there's 6 horses going to it and about 40 people?

Firstly, thanks for sending me that potty mouth e-mail. Know that I am forwarding on to administrator.

The website clearly states, 'The Drive has come to be viewed as the largest single gathering of recreational equine drivers on the continent.' Really. 6 horses.

Thirdly, why don't you contact them and ask your questions.

Lastly, you mentioned in your nasty email, 'I AM SO !*%&@#& SICK AND TIRED OF COMING HERE AND ASKING A QUESTION AND GETTING BERATED BY STUCK UP, NASTY NEGATIVE KNOW IT ALL c*$#&.' Maybe you've been misunderstood before? Hmm. This is a public forum but you are still responsible for your words. And, you can be held legally responsible for communications, i.e., e-mail.

Carry on...
    Earthdogs, you gotta dig 'em!

What happened to good old Kentucky southern charm?
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Seriously. Lighten up, Centeur.
    Last edited by Ginger; Jul. 26, 2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: I do know you

Never ask a simple question! You could be labled as stupid by some know-it-all with a lousy attitude.

sheesh!
    Pao Lin

Default To Centaur

Remind me when the time comes I'm NOT to take up driving. I'm too ignorant, and would hate to be squashed by such an expert whilst trying to learn.

The National Drive is indeed a LARGE event. I have visited but never participated (yet!) and it's very interesting to look at all the different horse breeds represented as well as all the turnouts.

The one thing that you need to know is that there is no "driving knowledge test" that is required to participate, so you might see a few things that will make you . But in general, there is a LOT of camaraderie and a LOT of support.

While you are in town, try and visit some of our other attractions. I drag all my visitors to Keeneland, and you don't have to go far to be in the heart of some of the most beautiful farms in the country.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by poniesinthenight View Post
    Remind me when the time comes I'm NOT to take up driving. I'm too ignorant, and would hate to be squashed by such an expert whilst trying to learn.
    Please reconsider. One sour grape doesn't mean the whole vine is rotten. I've met the most wonderful people through driving. Generous and oh-so-patient!
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Actually I completely agree with Hitchin.. Driving folks are unbelieveably (sic) giving, always offering to lend a hand, give up a day to help and have great patience with newbies.

Good news to hear about the national drive being so fun.. I want to go sometime soon.
    Pao Lin

Quote Originally Posted by paohatch View Post
    Actually I completely agree with Hitchin.. Driving folks are unbelieveably (sic) giving, always offering to lend a hand, give up a day to help and have great patience with newbies.

Good news to hear about the national drive being so fun.. I want to go sometime soon.
    It has been some years since I was at a driving competition, but one thing I always noticed - At a H/J show if there was a divot or something that might effect your performance (not effect the horse's wellbeing) the H/J folks would keep it a secret - the driving folks would make everyone competing aware. Always a sportsman's sense of competition with the driving people.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Default Please come to the National Drive!

Yes, Centaur, lighten up. I live in the Bluegrass also and am appalled at your snarkiness to poor old Chewy!

So, Chewy, the National Drive is alot of fun (I have been 4 times) and has lots of educational opportunities. As someone else pointed out it is also running concurrently with the CDE this year so it will be more fun than ever.

The Park is a great place to drive and the organizers always lay out some wonderful trails to drive and have "fun" drives throughout the event.

The people (with some, ahem, exceptions) are all friendly and helpful. It is WELL worth the time, expense and effort.

So come and enjoy yourself. Look me up and I will give you a guided tour of the Bluegrass myself (I have a pair of ponies, a grey and a roan so I am easy to spot).

Wink Almost forgot....

The Mimosa Drive on Sunday morning is the best. Makes you feel like you've gone back in time and the Mimosa's are, of course, wonderful.

vgmorgan Guest

I started going a number of years ago with my driving friend. I did not drive so would take one of my riding horses. After hanging around for a number of years, and handling the reins a "few" times, I decided to take a couple ponies last year to the National Drive in Indiana. (I had them started in harness before we went!) Long story short, I am now hooked. I'm preparing for my 3rd CDE coming soon! I love it:-) Of course the horse park is fab.. One of my favorite eventing venues. This is an especially great year to go, to watch the CDE on Sat. and Sunday.

National Drive and the Mid-Atlantic Drive at Fair Hill, MD'

I guess the Mid Atlantic ADS drive at Fair Hill in a few weeks is trying to emulate the National Drive. I'm going for the first time to the Mid-Atlantic Drive and will judge the activities and such, perhaps if your close, you should come to that too?
    Pao Lin

Default Going to the National Drive!!!!!!!

I am mailing in the paperwork today. There are 3 of us coming from my barn in Ontario for the National Drive. It is gonna be great fun. We will be arriving Monday and leaving Friday, as there are things etc going on at home, but better part of the time, then none. I will be driving a dark brown/white Paint mare put to a Cross-country Meadowbrook.

Looking forward to meeting some fellow COTHers and catching up with ones I have met in the past. Just looked back at the thread and RAH, will see you there and take you for a ride!!!!!!!