The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone going to the Tryon summer hunt week?

I'm possibly going to the Tryon (GreenRiver) Summer Hunt Week (weekend) next month. Anyone else going to be there?
    I"m still trying to find the price.......also need to know what the footing is like.
    Do I need caulks, shoes? I have a horse with fantastic feet that hunts barefoot (and shows) all over the southeast........but is Tryon rocky??
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Thanks for the info. Any idea of the cost of the "hunt weekend" for out of towners?
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Hunt Hot Line
    828-863-2753
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I'm going up for the saturday hunt. Hard to get time off work. Am going up Thursday, trail riding Friday. I went to a couple of hunts and hunt ball Late winter 2010 and it was fun. BTW, I hunted with Green Creek, I think.

FWIW, I have hunter paced (2 years ago) at Tryon Hounds (not the FENCE equestrian center) and Green Creek. They both have places that can be steep and rocky; Green Creek can also be pretty tricky with small holes that suddenly open up and suck your horse's foot - I guess they're gopher holes. FENCE is like a CC course (as I understand from descriptions and pics); where the hunter paces are at these two places are not - it's open countryside, so you've got all kinds of stuff coming at you. But I thought the riding was fabulous; we had a great time. The footing...my horse went with plain shoes and barefoot in the back. I don't have enough experience to say this for sure, but my tentative feeling is that for every, say, 2 stretches or segments of the "course" that caulks would help you, there's maybe 1 where they possibly would work against you, i.e. where it's too rocky and steep and if you're cantering up it...am I right in seeing a bad consequence increasing there, not decreasing? I realize there are different types, but assuming you're not going to want to change in mid-stride so to speak...or is there something all purpose enough to really handle this great a variety? I'd love to know 'cause I'm hoping to go back this fall.

mortebella-the most common holes are from rotted roots left when pine trees are cleared. They can be nasty-hoof sized, deep and nearly invisible. We know where they are, and just pick our way carefully through the afflicted fields.

We are very lucky to have several fixtures to hunt from, so the footing can be different from one meet to the next.

What is it like at the Watson House and Vinyard fixtures?

Can you tell me how far they are from Greencreek stables, and FENCE?

The Watson House is one of my favorites-the trails behind the house go down a steep hill to a beautiful small creek, all overgrown with rhododendron. Tot can choose other directions from there, depending on his plans for the day.

It's an easy 15-20 min. trailer from the kennel-I would add at least 45 min. to that if you have to come from FENCE. If we hunt at 8:00, I would leave FENCE before 7:00, but I drive slow, and hate to get to the meet late.

Thanks...is it closer to Greencreek's Farm? Where are the Kennels in relation to Greencreek or Fence?

I think our gang is set.......we'll be staying at the GreenCreek Stables....I"m in the apt there, and my friends are hoping to get in the bed and breakfast close by.
    If anyone from this forum is hunting or at the Fri night BBQ please introduce yourself by your COTH name. I'll be on a BIG black horse (17.1 1/2)!!

What is the dress? You know it's going to be very hot. I pray we can wear polos.
    FF, I think we have met at Live Oak. I will be on a chestnut and my husband will be on a gray draft cross (they are adorable).

Well, Got home Sunday night from a wonderful weekend. I now know my way around Tryon/Green Creek hunt country a little!

We were fortunate enough to stay at Green River at the Smith's barn,,,,need I say more????Fantastic place and wonderful folks.

Loved seeing the country, meeting the friendly folks. Although I wish my COTH friends had told me who they were so I could put two and two together. We never got a sprinkle from Irene.......it wasn't even windy on Sat am. I was proud to be the one to site the huge Coyote on Thursday am.

Charlotte Odom took us on a long trailride at FENCE on Friday.......BOTH sides of the road where we jumped some of the eventing fences too!

It is really fun and educating to visit other hunts (this was my 29th!). Each hunt has it's own style.....rules,,,etc. I also saw my first "July" fully bred hound, Patsy Cline! That was fun and educating too........As the second person in first flight, I was amazed how close to Tot and in the middle of the hounds we rode!
    We'd be in big trouble at LOH to get between the huntsman and his hounds unless on a strung out run! However, it was really neat........and I do understand different countries require different styles!

Hope to get back up there soon.......would love to see it in full color this fall!!!