The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My can of Venice Turpentine leaked, HELP me!!

It's all over my canvas grooming bag, my curry, my hoofpick, my flyspray, etc, etc. I thought Dawn soap would help, no luck. I finally wrapped everything up with Vetrap so I'd quit getting sticky, but that doesn't help save the grooming bag. What do I do? This is even less fun than the time I spilled hoof black on a concrete aisle
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

I'd write the grooming bag off as a loss. You need straight turpentine to dissolve Venice turpentine.

Going to look for answers too....mine seems to have leaked right through the bottom of the can. I've had it a while, but it was almost full - at least it didn't wreck anything.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Have you tried Goof Off? I've used it for some really messy stuff. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I don't think it dissolves in any form of water--hot, cold, or soapy. Yup. Just checked the Merck Index, one of those handy Evil Chem Prof type references. It says it's soluble in acetone. Also soluble in alcohol (ethyl alcohol) though it takes awhile. Also glacial acetic acid and amyl alcohol, but those would be harder to procure than acetone or ethyl alcohol.

The Merck Index also notes that it becomes hard and brittle upon exposure to air, but we knew that.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I am SO, SOOOO sorry...that I almost laughed out loud when I saw the title of this thread.

I cannot help you, but I have experienced the evil that you have unleashed. I think I had to pitch almost everything that I could not re-package. I'm afraid your bag is a goner.

And if it's hot where you are your vetrap is going to melt into the Venice Turpentine and make a gooey, sticky wrap on everything.

I really am sorry.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Maybe a soak in denatured alcohol would work.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!! This is a thinly veiled cry for moral support!!!!! I think you guys are right, the bag is a goner. This stuff should come with a warning label: "Caution! Evil stuff inside!" Acetone, isn't that like nail polish remover? Am I going to accidentally set something on fire? Chemically burn myself? Should I just throw everything out?
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Nail polish remover generally contains acetone and/or ethyl acetate. Likely anything that dissolves the VT will also dissolve, or make fairly gooey, anything plastic. So that probably takes out your curry. You might be able to salvage the hoof pick if it's metal, by wiping it with a solvent-soaked rag or paper towel(might want to wear gloves, or two layers of gloves). But is it worth it, given the price of a hoof pick? Pour the fly spray into another container (unless it's an aerosol can, in which case the solvent wipe method might work). What is likely to happen with the bag is that you will dissolve the VT, but it will just move outwards with the solvent, so you have a ring instead of a spot.

You have my permission to throw the stuff out and buy new stuff.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Look at this disaster as an opportunity to go buy new stuff
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I'd toss it all and view this as a learning experience: anything that is in any danger of leaking generally doesn't do so well in a grooming bag. (This is a lesson that I learned with an almost-full bottle of Durasole-- I didn't have to throw anything out, but ended up with lovely purple stains and the need to buy another bottle.)

sounds like you are SOL. sorry. VT is a nasty product, i never liked using it at all. i switched to Keratex.