The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Really bad decision--

I`ve seen horses come unglued at Doornhof Farm over a cross country fence that looked like a horse, I`ve seen horses totally spooked by huge plastic pigs and cows at an event in Georgia, and now Alision Springer`s horse, and I gather some others, came undone over a big horse sculpture at the big event in Montana.

Why won`t they learn not to do this to riders and horses. It`s STUPID.

Agreed.

Put the public art projects up by the portaloos or by the food stands. Don't let it become a factor in the actual competition.

Horses are creatures of flight. The spooky horse didn`t get killed by the lion at the water hole, that`s why HIS genes got passed down the line.

You can bet no RIDER would have put that thing there. It was some official or someone who doesn`t know how horses tick. So stupid.

Default TRULY!

I couldn't agree more! I have no association with Allison and Arthur, but I am so sorry for the impact this had on their competition.

Honestly, I feel that way about a lot of the "accessories" I see in so many photos of XC as well.

Would it be wrong to wish that decorating committees' budgets were significantly scaled back?
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Totally agree. We are going too far in what we ask of our horses.

I mean, by definiition, those sculpted fences are to cause spectators to stop and look and point and discuss them. Yet, we expect horses to have none of these thoughts -- even though we don't even begin to expect the same of humans -- and just gallop down to them and jump them as if they're plain hay bales. It's unfair and it's no test of horsemanship.

A part of horsemanship is knowing when enough is enough.

I feel the same way about Jumbotrons at dressage shows. Let's make the horse paramount and stop indulging the whiny human. Yeesh.

anybody got a photo link ?

It's on www.eventingnation.com Can't miss it!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

Here it is. (via Eventing Nation)

So thoughtful how the damn thing caused spooks out on XC yesterday -- and then they moved it into the SJ arena today.

Crap - anyone know what happened to Blugal?? She's showing as MR in the CCI*...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Made of horseshoes ?! Damn thing must be heavy too. I hate the 'jumbo-trons' by the dressage arenas also. Better title for thread might be this

REBECCA FARM THUMBS DOWN

Hit 'em where it hurts if you want to get the attention on the issue.

We had to deal with a plastic horse next to the Beginner Novice ring at Paradise Farm HT a few years back......I couldn't get my little guy within 50 feet of it. These types of "decorations" are not a good idea, and no horseman would put something that ridiculous in the middle of any jumping course, XC or SJ.

You know while I see the point Denny is trying to make, the stadium arena's at the last few Olympics are very spooky places. Ditto the Aachen WEG arena. Flowers, decorations and high capacity crowds.

This event, though out in Montana, is a qualifier for horses aiming for the high octane events like Rolex, Burghley, the Olympics and Wegs.

So I don't see the issue with filtering through the all around professional horse and rider who can handle what comes at them and get the job done.

That said, I am sorry the sculpture unraveled Arthur. I have long been a fan.

But kudos to those horses and riders who still got the job done.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Default MR?

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Crap - anyone know what happened to Blugal?? She's showing as MR in the CCI*...
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does MR stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyRacehorse View Post
    Please excuse my lack of knowledge, but what does MR stand for?
    Mandatory Retirement... usually (or always? I haven't read the rulebook in a while) means the horse had a fall on course...
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

Grand prixs have had Shamu as wings, among other ridiculous things for YEARS. It was a sculpture...it wasn't a jump, just decoration. Horses ARE flight creatures...a hazard we all agree to deal with when we bring them into our lives, and especially when we decide to make a livelihood off of them.

It is NO secret that Arthur is VERY spooky. It is frequently discussed in interviews and articles. I believe his spookiness has been his undoing before. It's the risk you take when you ride extremely talented yet extremely quirky horses.

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    . I hate the 'jumbo-trons' by the dressage arenas also. Better title for thread might be this

REBECCA FARM THUMBS DOWN

Hit 'em where it hurts if you want to get the attention on the issue.

Really? REALLY??

This is one of the premiere events in the country.
    The event went off smoothly. No one went home in an ambulance, horse or rider.
    This is the farm that is offering a sponsorship for a couple of riders to go to Europe right? This farms namesake recently passed away!
    Talk about being ridiculous and over dramatic!

Was the horse shoe horse statue a bad idea to include in showjumping after the spooks it caused on CC? Probably.

I guess the riders felt it would not be a problem otherwise they should have gone to the officials as a group and ask it to me removed and relocated. I feel so sorry for those whose rides were disrupted by such a thing, I really do. But I don't think telling people NOT to go (where else would it hurt the most besides the wallet?) to such an event is nice at all! Here we are moaning about events and land going bye bye forever and one bad decision in decorating is a call to boycott an event like Rebecca Farm!

For shame!

As for jumbotrons, again it comes with the territory. You want spectators and the revenue they bring, they want to see because not everyone has front row seats a E. If the riders feel it is an issue then they need to go as a group to the officials and ask for a change. If only one or 2 horses spook and the rest get the job done, well hell we can all relate to such a story.

Personally, it would be a dream come true to have a run at Rebecca Farm or Fitch Corner or any other top event. Read my location and you can see I am in eventing wasteland.
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Grand prixs have had Shamu as wings, among other ridiculous things for YEARS. It was a sculpture...it wasn't a jump, just decoration. Horses ARE flight creatures...a hazard we all agree to deal with when we bring them into our lives, and especially when we decide to make a livelihood off of them.

It is NO secret that Arthur is VERY spooky. It is frequently discussed in interviews and articles. I believe his spookiness has been his undoing before. It's the risk you take when you ride extremely talented yet extremely quirky horses.
    I agree with your basic point. However . . . it seems that spectator grandeur is outweighing horse safety and that is a very sad thing. We can make jumps exciting and historical and fancy without creating such distractions that we undermine the hard work that these teams have invested in.

We ask our horses to trust us and then we place that trust in designers who have no concept of the fine thread that distinguishes a horse / rider relationship.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Thumbs up What she said....

Well put...

Quote Originally Posted by ctab View Post
    Really? REALLY??

This is one of the premiere events in the country.
    The event went off smoothly. No one went home in an ambulance, horse or rider.
    This is the farm that is offering a sponsorship for a couple of riders to go to Europe right? This farms namesake recently passed away!
    Talk about being ridiculous and over dramatic!

Was the horse shoe horse statue a bad idea to include in showjumping after the spooks it caused on CC? Probably.

I guess the riders felt it would not be a problem otherwise they should have gone to the officials as a group and ask it to me removed and relocated. I feel so sorry for those whose rides were disrupted by such a thing, I really do. But I don't think telling people NOT to go (where else would it hurt the most besides the wallet?) to such an event is nice at all! Here we are moaning about events and land going bye bye forever and one bad decision in decorating is a call to boycott an event like Rebecca Farm!

For shame!

As for jumbotrons, again it comes with the territory. You want spectators and the revenue they bring, they want to see because not everyone has front row seats a E. If the riders feel it is an issue then they need to go as a group to the officials and ask for a change. If only one or 2 horses spook and the rest get the job done, well hell we can all relate to such a story.

Personally, it would be a dream come true to have a run at Rebecca Farm or Fitch Corner or any other top event. Read my location and you can see I am in eventing wasteland.

I may get flamed for this... I hope not because I'm really just thinking through the issue. Please educate me for any misconceptions...

For eventing we want our horses to be brave and trust our riders. I remember a great rider once told me: "My horses have tremendous trust in me. They would jump a 6 foot drop into 8 feet of water if I asked. Though they may just do it the one time...."

So do we want them to be brave when we're in the saddle or keep their flight instincts in tact?

I understand some horses are just spooky, but what makes them so? Genes Fitness? Lack of trust and/or respect for their rider/handler to keep them safe? Lack of focus on the job at hand?

Then this goes to a horse's anatomy - I guess is the right way to say it... These decorations are inanimate so they're reacting to the shape, correct? It's not like the horses are smelling a predator. So if they're reacting to the shape then what's the harm of using a horse sculpture? Competition horses should be used to riding with other horses, no? It's not like they're asked to jump the thing.

Again, I'm just trying to "logically" think this through... please correct me.
    I'm so busy I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse

I almost always agree with Denny, but sorry. I feel REALLY REALLY bad for them, We have been in first and crashed 6 jumps...IT was MAJOR embarrassing...BUT

Eventing isn't fair. It just isn't. I wish my daughters horse had Arthurs movement. I wish we could have flown out to Montanna. I wish she could get the help she needs...I REALLY wish the dressage co-efficient would go away. Her horse is pretty Down to earth...having a six-year old jumping on a trampoline next to your arena does amazing things....we can jump all day, ain't ever going have movement.

At the end of the day, it comes down to what each horse had that weekend. Plain and simple. if your horse spooked, go home and have a kid play around your horse or go work some cattle....it is prolly easier to get rid of spook then get movement....

As for boycotting Rebecca...plz....you ever been there? It's gorgeous, well planned, beautiful, all about the horses. I would go there from here, and hope to next year.