The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Your Favorite breeches (and why).

I am just curious as to what folks like and why.

I have several pairs of the tuff rider low rise ribbed breeches
    I like that they are relatively inexpensive, have a pocket, and wear pretty well.

I just bought a pair of Kerrits microcord breeches (tights)- they were more expensive than the tuff riders (80 at local tack store) but the fabric seems nicer.

I tried on the irrideon (sp) cadence tights and they were nice but I really like having a pocket plus fairly pricey.

At this point I show in a pair of ovation shapley breeches (the fabric is thicker than either of the aforementioned pairs. We just do schooling shows. They seem to look fine and the judge doesn't seem to mind them.

Also if you wear more expensive breeches to me that would be $100 plus- do you feel that you get what you pay for?

I eagerly await your answers!!!

Just south of the Arctic Circle...seriously

I have a pair of FITS, Kerrits, TuffRider, Devon Aire, an On Course natural breeches. I think the FITS, Kerrits and Devon Aire are the most flattering, the On Course the heaviest and the Devon Aires the lightest and coolest. One of my Tuff Rider breeches has the bamboo full seat which has pilled awfully and I think the cut of the breeches is incredibly unflattering, I just can't find any other plaid breeches. I also have a pair of TS that only come out for shows and I like those a lot, too.
    “Thoroughbreds are the best. They’re lighter, quicker, and more intelligent.” -George Morris

I love the TS Trophy Hunters- I got a pair when hey first came out and then ordered two more. I also like the Ovation Euroweaves- I had two pairs, one front zip and one side, but my puppy ate the side zips - they are tough, flattering, and great for schooling. I have a pair of Tropical Riders that fit weird (really high waist- I have a very short waist, so I need a lower rise,) and for some reason make me look like I have panty lines when I don't, but the fabric is great.

I don't like Ariats because they wear out in the seat too quickly, and I refuse to wear tights. No, thank you, I already feel old and lumpy.

What I tend to buy now are breeches with Schoeller fabrics. They are flattering, comfortable, stretchy but not too stretchy, and they breathe nicely. If I felt like dropping $300 on pants I'd buy some of the Pikeur Ciaras. LOVE. Maybe when my 3 year old is showing....
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

I really like the Ariat Professional breeches, extremely comfortable and indestructable. Found them on TOTD for $79 a few years ago. I undergrew them (yay diet!), but wore the SNOT out of them (multiple horses per day, 6 days a week) and they still looked new. HATE anything TS, but they just don't fit me at all. Have a few pairs of cotton naturals Full seats, they're comfy but very heavy and seem to lose shape very easily. Also love Kerrits breeches, but they don't love me, very unflattering for my shape

I have a pair of pikeurs and a eurostar. Both are more expensive, but are great and last long.

I really love the Ariat Olympia euroseat breeches... great fabric, flattering fit (and I'm fluffy). Good value for the price ($189).

I also like the new KL Select line of fullseats, in particular the denims.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

All of my breeches were $100+ and it's definitely worth it. I personally hate pull on breeches.

I have a pair of trainers choice - not sure of the exact make because I bought them on sale - but they're just a tan knee patch breech and they're AWESOME. The outer fabric is nearly waterproof and the inner fabric is a very thin fleece (still cool in the summer). I've had them for 3 or so years now and they're just starting to come apart.

I have 2 grand prix's which are my ultimate favourite, but my newest pair I bought a few years ago and they don't make them the same any more I've had one pair for 5 years and they're still good as new, but don't fit me anymore - the other pair I've had for I think around 3 years now and they're good as new as well.

I have a pair of horkas that I got on sale last year and they fit pretty well, they're a thicker fabric so definitely a cooler weather breech but for $60 on sale I couldn't really go wrong with them.

My most recent pair is TS I got on sale because they discontinued the line.. I think they're just the TS front zip. I quite like them, they're comfortable, but the tag on the back is SO itchy it drives me insane! I'll have to cut it off one of these days..

I've heard the ariat breeches are nice but I haven't tried them yet, they're quite pricy.. also the ovation breeches look nice but I haven't tried them as well.

Tropical Rider enduracool's

Tailored Sportsman Schooling Breeches (I think that's what they call them) - the thin, cotton ones that are much cheaper than the regular TS breeches. I wear through them after about a year, but I ride anywhere from 1-6 horses a day, depending on where I am. They're probably cooler than the other material.

(I'm kind of biased though because getting breeches that fit me is a nightmare, so I love whatever fits.)

I love my Ariat Pro Circuit's,around $200 but they are extremely lightweight and do not show sweat like my schooling Ariat's do. I've tried the TS show breeches, but they just do not fit me right. (I have an athletic build with a big butt, thick legs, and small waist)

I will only ride in my Ariat Pro Circuits. I've tried tons of other brands and I always come back to the Ariats. They're lightweight, fit really well, and last forever! The price tag is high at retail stores, (Dover, Smartpak, etc), but I just end up buying new pairs off of Ebay for $50.

Just fell in love with a pair of Pikeurs I got while studying in Austria currently. They are low rise but hit me right at my waist, are a beautiful color, extraordinarily comfy fabric and breathable. To top it off they're fullseat--never thought I'd go down that road but boy my backside has never looked better. For sure I'd school in them, and while I don't think I could get away with them in hunterland, you betcha if I end up on a jumper in the fall I'd show in them.

Otherwise, I have TS cotton which I like fine for schooling sans the ankle velcro. That, and mine have/do shrink, beit dryer or no dryer.

I also have a couple (OLD) pairs of Ariat Procircuits that I do like for showing, but not as much as my new pair of Pikeur. They are breathable and smooth fitting, though, and have held up for six years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony+ an inch View Post
    Just fell in love with a pair of Pikeurs I got while studying in Austria currently. They are low rise but hit me right at my waist, are a beautiful color, extraordinarily comfy fabric and breathable. To top it off they're fullseat--never thought I'd go down that road but boy my backside has never looked better. For sure I'd school in them, and while I don't think I could get away with them in hunterland, you betcha if I end up on a jumper in the fall I'd show in them.

Otherwise, I have TS cotton which I like fine for schooling sans the ankle velcro. That, and mine have/do shrink, beit dryer or no dryer.

I also have a couple (OLD) pairs of Ariat Procircuits that I do like for showing, but not as much as my new pair of Pikeur. They are breathable and smooth fitting, though, and have held up for six years.
    Not gonna lie, some of us may have cheered when you shrunk the rust ones
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I will only ride in my Ariat Pro Circuits. I've tried tons of other brands and I always come back to the Ariats. They're lightweight, fit really well, and last forever! The price tag is high at retail stores, (Dover, Smartpak, etc), but I just end up buying new pairs off of Ebay for $50.
    How do you find them for $50?! I've trolled eBay endlessly for them and can't find them below around $170. Better than $220, but still!

For home/schooling I like the Tuff Rider Aerocools, if only because they seem to be cooler and don't show sweat. I don't like the height of the rise, but I usually just fold them over at the top and it's fine. I also like the Ovation breeches, but only for winter as they're a bit thicker.

Shows all I ride in are the Ariat Pro Circuits. SOOO comfy and again, they don't show the sweat! The last thing I want to worry about while I'm jumping around is someone giggling at my sweat marks.

Quote Originally Posted by Across Sicily View Post
    How do you find them for $50?! I've trolled eBay endlessly for them and can't find them below around $170. Better than $220, but still!

For home/schooling I like the Tuff Rider Aerocools, if only because they seem to be cooler and don't show sweat. I don't like the height of the rise, but I usually just fold them over at the top and it's fine. I also like the Ovation breeches, but only for winter as they're a bit thicker.

Shows all I ride in are the Ariat Pro Circuits. SOOO comfy and again, they don't show the sweat! The last thing I want to worry about while I'm jumping around is someone giggling at my sweat marks.
    I'm a 24. I just bought a brand new, with tags, pair last week for $40 plus shipping

Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I'm a 24. I just bought a brand new, with tags, pair last week for $40 plus shipping

For schooling at home I really like Kerrits microcord pull ons. I bought them on Ebay for $40 each, the fabric wears well, they aren't slippery in the saddle, very comfortable for both riding and barn chores. I also have several pairs of TS trophy hunters in several colors, purchased on closeout for half the MSRP. The dark brown are my hands down favorite because they don't show dirt at all.

For showing I like TS trophy hunters and Ariat Olympia euro seat, both are a bit stretchy, wash and wear well, seat and rise are flattering. The Ariats seem to be more stain resistant and don't stretch out as much as the trophy hunters. For summer showing I love the Ariat all circuit because they are very lightweight and cool, absolutely stain repellent, comfortable, and no sweat marks at all. My favorite thing about Ariats is the elastic calf, they feel great under tall boots or half chaps.

ETA: Just my 2 cents, but I think expensive breeches are worth the extra money because the fabrics are higher quality and they last longer. I also think expensive breeches fit better and have a more flattering style.

Love my Trainer's Choice - I primarily have the Rene style but they have lots of styles and I have been lucky to find on new on eBay at reduced prices new with tags over the years. The Rene has 2 zippered pockets and are front zip. I have had some of the side zip I think Champion style again with 2 pockets side zip but there are no zippers on the pockets.

Try some and once you know your size the the style you like you can look for them on eBay and similar sites and often find them new with tags at reduced prices.

Love, love, LOVE my tailored sportsman! I find them very comfortable and they fit my lumpy old body well. I have different kinds but don't know the names. some are 4 way and some 2 way. I show and school in them and don't find them too hot. I love the big enough for my phone pockets! I lurk on Ebay to find breeches and have gotten almost all of them off there or Bits and Barter. I wear a 34 which is either a popular size or rare one so hard to find and keep to a low price!
    I picked up two pair of Devonaire schooling breeches at my local tack shop for $15 each! They are really nice, fit well and cool enough but there are no pockets which I hate. I also hate those little tiny pockets they put inthe waist band of some breeches which are nigh on impossible to access, let alone put anything in!

Dublin

I have two pairs of their pull on jods and I love them, the fit properly everywhere, even length-wise (36" inseam), I'm constantly looking for more pairs of them!
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)