The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Amish Horses Left Tied Up in High Heat at Cotsco

UFB!

http://lancasteronline.com/article/l...rking-lot.html

Excerpt from article:

The horses were pulling buggies and were tied on the asphalt lot for extended periods without shade or water in the humid, 99 degree heat, Dinkel said.

Their owners were inside the store shopping, she said.

In the first incident, Dinkel said, passersby called 911 and reported that a black Standardbred horse was repeatedly fainting and collapsing but was tethered and could not fall all the way to the ground.

"He got cut up and banged up on his legs, poor baby," Dinkel said.

Dinkel said other shoppers helped her hose down the horse, which was trailered home after being given water and checked by a veterinarian.

The owner said she had driven around since 9 a.m. without letting the horse drink, Dinkel said.

At 4:15 p.m., Dinkel added, some "frantic" people called police to report that another horse was panting heavily and swaying back and forth in the lot.

Dinkel said she was able to stabilize the 16-year-old medium brown horse in about 15 minutes, but that Smucker then drove off, refusing medical treatment for the animal.

Water is available at Costco, where Dinkel said employees told her that some other buggy drivers did hose off their steeds Thursday.

"It's the owner's responsibility" to protect the horse, said Dinkel, who said people should call her if they see possible cruelty incidents in Lancaster.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

and you are surprised because......

The Amish do not think or regard the horse as a pet, or partner, (I am sure there are exceptions), but the honest truth is, is that they regard the horse and other animals as livestock and beasts of burden used to do a JOB. As a way to get to point A to point B. On any given day you can watch several retired Standardbreds trotting down the road, head strapped in high by the over -check and 3 legged lame.
    I am sure the same day this was reported there were other horses in the same condition including big drafts working the fields that the nice, concerned passer-byers do not see.

I am sorry to be so blunt and rough, but I do not have much respect for the Amish.

This is not a new story, there are a few ever heat-wave that makes the news.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post

The Amish do not think or regard the horse as a pet, or partner, (I am sure there are exceptions), but the honest truth is, is that they regard the horse and other animals as livestock and beasts of burden used to do a JOB. As a way to get to point A to point B. On any given day you can watch several retired Standardbreds trotting down the road, head strapped in high by the over -check and 3 legged lame.
    I am sure the same day this was reported there were other horses in the same condition including big drafts working the fields that the nice, concerned passer-byers do not see.

I am sorry to be so blunt and rough, but I do not have much respect for the Amish.

I am glad you said it and not me, although I guess I will say, totally ditto.

I have a beautiful SB in my barn, er field right now that some jerk amish threw away. She has foundered on both fronts, suspensories shot to hell, and came to me as a 1. She is all fattened up and is still lame, but pasture sound. If you ever saw her, what a beauty to have been chewed up and thrown out before she was 10!
    I have lived in amish country, and yes some are good, but there are too many that treat their animals with little care, use it up, bring it to auction, buy another.

I really do not respect amish people as a whole. I think they are full of smoke and mirrors and not at all authentic. I mean if you want to have a telephone, well, not in the house mind you, but at the end of the lane is ok!!! huh??? or no electricity, but a generator is just fine. again huh?

I am sure I will get reamed on, but it is my opinion. I am not ducking, and I know my comments are very inflamatory and discriminatory, but I don't like animal abusers, and child abusers as well.
    The stories I could tell about my personal experiences...ugh.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I went to a huge Amish quilt auction which was held at their newly built community center. The horses were tied all day without water. Despite this being an Amish owned property, there was not even one water trough for the horses or any apparent way to water them. I never saw anyone atteding to the horses or carrying water to them. Only one horse has his harnessed removed. The rest stood there in full harness all day in the heat.

then again, they don't treat each other much better either....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

For the most part, they treat their dogs the same way. I have a problem with any extremist religion/culture.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by fivehorses View Post
    I really do not respect amish people as a whole. I think they are full of smoke and mirrors and not at all authentic. I mean if you want to have a telephone, well, not in the house mind you, but at the end of the lane is ok!!! huh??? or no electricity, but a generator is just fine. again huh?
    I have some concerns about the Amish as well, but this is a misunderstanding of the idea of plain living, at least according to my understanding. They don't believe technology is evil, but that modern conveniences and distractions pull you away from God and the community. So a phone isn't evil, and can be very good or even necessary if there is an emergency or to conduct business, but if it is used for personal calls instead of spending time in prayer or with your family it can become a bad thing. Keeping it in the barn or at the end of the lane avoids that temptation.

Another example is the fact that they can't own cars, but can ride in them...that has to do with status. They want to avoid putting emphasis in material possessions and vanities, and feel that cars would put some members of the community (ie. those who could afford a car, or afford a nicer one) above others.

I'm not saying I agree with that, obviously I don't since I'm typing away on COTH, but it isn't hypocrisy IMO.

I don't like stereotyping any group of people. I've spent some time with plain Mennonites and I've found there is both good and bad in the community. I have some significant qualms with that lifestyle, especially with regard to the power it gives men over every other living being in their home and the likelihood of abuse that entails, but it also seems wrong to me to generalize too broadly about the community. The very article the OP posted mentioned that other drivers (presumably Amish as well since not many others drive their buggies to Costco) did take appropriate care of their animals.

I have a huge problem with both of these animals being returned to their abusers (if I understood the excerpt correctly). It sounds as if they even trailered the horse home for the "nice lady"! I wonder if they also carried her and her shopping bags home, too?
    If it weren't so cruel, it would be laughable that you have to tell people not to take their horses into town on a 100 degree day and leave them tied for hours on hot pavement! My heart will always have a soft spot for these working horses.

WG, I thought that too. Especially the one they just let drive home! If the horse needs that kind of intervention, the owner shouldn't get to decline vet attention or take it home. Do people get to keep dogs they leave locked in hot cars until the cops have to break in?

Why the HELL arn't they EVER charged with a abuse or neglect?!?!?!? If any one of US did that kind of crap we'd have the ASPCA/Humane Society/Police up our backsides! Why is it that the "Amish" don't have to follow the same LAWS as the rest of us? Seriously, what the hell. They openly abuse and sometimes WORK TO DEATH their animals right out in the open in front of everyone and NEVER are they even investigated much less CHARGED. It's freakin insane. Last time I checked RELIGION does not exempt a person from the LAW!

The TV news reported the one (I think the woman driver) was fined $300. I just don't understand under what laws abused animals are sent home with their abusers?

I'm not defending the Amish, but I find it strange that no one took issue with Costco. It is a huge retail chain. Since the chain has a store in Amish country, I assume Costco executives KNOW that the Amish shop at their store. I'm sure Cosco profits from its patronage by the Amish.

Seems to me that Costco should accomodate the Amish AND their horses by providing a shed over the area where the Amish hitch their horses. I have heard that other big box stores have provided covered areas for the Amish to hitch their horses. In 99 degree heat, a covered hitching area with water troughs provided would go a long way towards helping the horses.

As for the Amish, well I assume some are good stewards of their livestock and others are not, just as horse owners in any discipline. I freely admit that I have only met a few (three) Amish people, and that was at a demonstration booth for farm equipment. They only had equipment there, no horses so I don't know how those particular Amish treat their animals.

I do know that members of the Amish and other plain sects have been involved in running horrific puppy mills. They basically have a 19th century attitude toward animals in a 21st century world so this is bound to cause conflict. I don't particularly approve of their attitudes toward and treatment of women and girls, either. But again, they are living in the past in an extremely male dominated society.

I applaud those who go to the auctions in Amish country and buy their old or used-up horses to either return them to health and provide them a caring home, or have them put down humanely.

I have hauled Amish goods for them and in the "backwoods", some aren't so pious when it comes to making a living. Driving a dually pickup, anyone?? In Goshen, IN, the Wmart has a shed and water. I did see some thin horses. For the most part, all the Amish horses have been decent weight. However, in a blinding rainstorm, not too long ago, a man was trotting down the highway, totally enclosed in the cart and the horse a soggy mess.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Why the HELL arn't they EVER charged with a abuse or neglect?!?!?!? If any one of US did that kind of crap we'd have the ASPCA/Humane Society/Police up our backsides! Why is it that the "Amish" don't have to follow the same LAWS as the rest of us? Seriously, what the hell. They openly abuse and sometimes WORK TO DEATH their animals right out in the open in front of everyone and NEVER are they even investigated much less CHARGED. It's freakin insane. Last time I checked RELIGION does not exempt a person from the LAW!
    True. People need to call in AC or law enforcement when they witness abuse. The question is, do the local AC officers and police follow up thoroughly? It's not uncommon here on COTH for posters to complain about the lack of enforcement of anti-cruelty and neglect laws in many areas. Is the level of enforcement any different if the individuals involved are Amish? (I don't know, I'm asking sincerely.)

Quote Originally Posted by ToiRider View Post
    I went to a huge Amish quilt auction which was held at their newly built community center. The horses were tied all day without water. Despite this being an Amish owned property, there was not even one water trough for the horses or any apparent way to water them. I never saw anyone atteding to the horses or carrying water to them. Only one horse has his harnessed removed. The rest stood there in full harness all day in the heat.
    I hope you DIDN'T buy a quilt nor spend even a penny on a soda while you were there!!! I won't support people like that by purchasing items or spending any money on attending their events.

Bayou,

I see your point about having a shed and water available to the horses and the drivers but here is the problem...My car gets really hot when I park it in the sun, where is my shade/shed? I am not saying that a car and a horse are similar they are not; one is a breathing animals that deserves more and the other is a machine, but the Amish view the horse as a machine so to them its a moot point.

I also feel that it's not the stores responsibility to make sure that their patrons take care of their "rides" car or other wise.

It would be nice is there was shade and water and the story does say that there was water and that one horse was even hosed off. Its the blatant disregard of the Amish and I feel that most people have this romantic notion about the Amish. The fact remains that they are a religious sect that gets by under the radar all the time.

What are Amish people doing at Costco in the first place?

Its about time to go ahead and get a car when you start shopping at Costco. You're already on the downhill side of being true to your Amish heritage at that point..

Poor horses.

Do you realize that there are different sects of Amish people? That they are not all the same? Generalizing is the same as me saying I do not like white people because they are arrogant scum, or perhaps I hate people who horse show because they abuse to get a better show ring performance and then dump the horse when they can no longer win. Are you upset now? That's how your generalizations make me feel!

We have Amish neighbors and while their animals are not pets, they are well taken care of. These folks built a barn for their animals before they had a safe house the first year they moved upstate. They animals are fed first, get vet care if needed (including preventative shots), and have well fitting equipment. When their horses are done they are given away for free to community members who want a horse. Not just to anyone, but if they know you it can result in getting a very good riding horse or team. They know they pedigrees and buy these horses from Amish breeders, not one is a ex-racehorse. The few times when we used them to work on our barn, those horses were in the shade and the owner asked if he could use our pump to give them water. We have seen an Amish man on the side of the road unhitching his horse, we stopped to see if everything was ok. HE said the horse was lame and he was going to walk him home because he didn't want the horse to work in pain. See why your generalizations offend me so much?

Our local Amish do not shop at grocery stores, I have feelings that these people may have not even been traditional Amish. They grow and preserve everything themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Last time I checked RELIGION does not exempt a person from the LAW!
    Sure it does. The Amish don't have to send their kids to school past the eighth grade. See Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972).

I have DSS clients who are sent to jail because their kids are truant.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post

I sadly agree. I do have respect for the Amish, but my heart aches whenever I see this happen. I used to go to Holmes County Ohio a lot growing up and saw it all the time. The Amish do not see them as pets, and treat them like we do our cars. How many times have we all know we need new tires (shoes), a wash, an oil change, etc... and put it off. To them, its the same thing. Not ALL amish do this. Some are considerate of their horses, by going places early or late. You can tell which horses are cared for well. I don't agree with what some owners do, just giving their view.

The Amish do have stores and sell regular things, such as shampoo and deodorant and spaghetti/sauces. I have hauled such household items to their stores. To unload, the owner(s) went to the school house next door, got all the boys out of school (yahoo!!) and made a human unloading line. They all came up on carts and the houses didn't have electricity. We had trouble communicating with the wee ones because they spoke High German. The adults spoke a mixture of High German and English.

A lot of the wooden furniture you see in Costco is from the Amish. They aren't hooked up to the grid but use 10K watt generators. I confess I don't see the difference but it's their money and life. Everything else was done by hand. Their horses weren't what I'd call in great weight but good enough. They weren't starving or downright skinny. Fairly shiny but needed brushing.

I've seen the carts at Home Depot and Menards. Whereever the 'regular' people go, they go there too. They have batteries and back up lights, blinkers and running lights.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jul. 24, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarifying
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!