The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yet another horse pricing question...

What would be a reasonable amount to offer for a 4 year old Oldenburg gelding with no undersaddle training. Hes by Riverman, is a gorgeous gray, and right now is about 15.2-15.3. Very beautifully put together, with a nice powerful hindquarter, a short back, and a nice neck that could be a tad bit longer but still nice. Moves like a dream, easy to handle on the ground. Was shown in hand as a yearling a handful of times, was great at the new showgrounds. Has been sat on, and a year ago was doing WTC consistently but due to owners circumstances has done nothing since then.

I would say somewhere between 17k and 35k depending on how willing the horse is to go back to work. It also depends on conformation. I would say if this horse is willing to work again I would pay around 20-25k. If you would pay for 30 days of training and the horse is willing to work I would pay between 25-30k.

I'd wonder about the lack of flat work at 4... It may be skeptical of me but if horse is that nice ---to just let it hang out for "reasons unknown" I'd be cautious.

Otherwise, not seeing pictures or video I'd say 3,500-4,500 would be reasonable.

Just my opinion

Hmm, I would think 10-12k, max. Probably less because it is small. Horse is barely started, no way I would think anywhere near 20-30k -- that is what horse going confidently around the 2'6 with changes would go for. Assuming average quality for your description, good enough to do well at As but not the hack winner. If he's going to be the winner at WEF, of course, he's worth more.

Given the breeding, and the potential for difficultness there, I would think under 10k since he is barely started and now on vacation.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The reason he has basically done nothing is to no fault of the horse. From what I understand the girl is very sickly, and has been in and out of the hospital this past year, so she hasnt had the finances, nor the energy to keep him in training.

Thanks for the responses, I was thinking under 10k myself so its good that Im pretty much on the average.

Definitely under 10k because of his size, nobody will pay big bucks for a young horse under 16 hands no matter how fancy it is. If he's 15.2-3 at 4, he's probably not going to be the 17 h+ monster like the rest of them. Which is great if you can ride a smaller one! You get the look of the fancy million dollar horse at a reasonable price.

As for not doing much in his young life, I wouldn't be concerned with that at all and would actually prefer it. He sounds like a fun project. Good Luck

Definitely under 10k. Untrained and small (Don't expect him to grow with that breeding, or to be easy to start. They also change a lot in attitude between 3 and 4, and just because he's been in work before doesn't mean he's going to easy to put in work now.).

Riverman babies are typically terrors once started. without knowing that it is not going to be one of those terrors because it hasn't be consistently worked with, I would stay way under 10K.

If this is a resale project, I wouldn't even go there. Riverman babies have such a bad rep that a lot of people won't even look at them unless they've got a significant show record, which means you've got a long time before you could turn it around for any money.

Just my opinion!!

What is his jump like? Any chance of putting him through the chute?
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Breeding Horses Today, for the Equestrian Sport of Tomorrow.
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Ive seen video of him in the chute, and he has very nice bascule and is very stylish with his front end.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Hmm, I would think 10-12k, max. Probably less because it is small. Horse is barely started, no way I would think anywhere near 20-30k -- that is what horse going confidently around the 2'6 with changes would go for. Assuming average quality for your description, good enough to do well at As but not the hack winner. If he's going to be the winner at WEF, of course, he's worth more.
    that could be a good size for a small junior. A top of the line small junior is going to go for way more than an average size (16.1-16.3) large junior. At 4 years old he'll still grow some more

The horse is a long way from being a rideable small junior now, though, so that's too speculative to be a factor IMO. Small green horses are hard to sell, and sell for less when they do get sold.

Quote Originally Posted by LeandraB View Post
    that could be a good size for a small junior. A top of the line small junior is going to go for way more than an average size (16.1-16.3) large junior. At 4 years old he'll still grow some more
    Yeah, but Small Juniors are only worth Small Junior Prices when they've proved that they can march around the 3'6". Until then they're just small horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

If he is 15.3 at 4, you cannot assume he will stay small enough to make a small junior, IMO. And I agree that one that is essentially unstarted at that age (and with that breeding) is a real question mark. I personally wouldn't touch a Riverman baby as a prospect, too many other easier lines out there that don't have the baggage to deal with from a sales standpoint.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    If he is 15.3 at 4, you cannot assume he will stay small enough to make a small junior, IMO. And I agree that one that is essentially unstarted at that age (and with that breeding) is a real question mark. I personally wouldn't touch a Riverman baby as a prospect, too many other easier lines out there that don't have the baggage to deal with from a sales standpoint.
    Amen, sister.