The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ordering a New Saddle

For those of you who have custom/build to suit saddles, about how long did it take for you to receive your saddle after you ordered?

I'm looking at getting a new saddle and am thinking either CWD or Antares. I've ridden in both and really liked the CWD half deep seat model.

I've heard French made saddles take a long time between order and delivery. Someone told me that the factories shut down in the summer months for some sort of French vacation (I think it was CWD they were referring to). Can anyone tell me for how long?

Any feedback (on other brands too!!) is appreciated.

I just don't want to get stuck waiting 6 months for a saddle for my new horse!!

My CWD came almost exactly 4 weeks from when I first saw the rep. I believe I was quoted 6-12 weeks.

I have heard that Italy shuts down for a vacation sometime in August/July, but I don't know about France.

My Albion came pretty much exactly two months after I ordered it.

One thing that is important to me as a customer is that the saddle fitter who sold me the saddle comes to me and actually DELIVER it. This way they can actually stand behind their product, check to make sure it is perfect, and make small adjustments to perfect the fit. Right there on the day it arrives as part of the service you are paying for.

I don't understand the companies who charge twice as much and then provide half the service.

I've never ordered a custom saddle, so I can't help you. But I have just seen the info on the new Stubben biomax seat, and, as someone with a serious end of the spine problem, I am considering...

And also after reading and hearing Catherine Haddad on the subject...

A Stubben? I know they last forever, etc, but I do love my Butet.

But that seat sounds incredible - and if they could put it on their flattest tree with no extra padding, I'd be a happy camper... broke, but happy
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I just bought a new county innovation and love it. They feel broken in as soon as you get it in the mail. These saddles are made to perfectly fit your horse. The reps are awesome to work with. I would definitely try one!

My CWD came in about 6 weeks, much faster than the 8 to 12 weeks they quoted me

Thanks for all the replies.

Where are County saddles made?

I'm still wondering how long this French summer holiday thing will set back a saddle from France! I read that in France people get 8-10 weeks of holidays per year. Wouldn't that be nice!!

I have a Delgrange and it came in about 5-6 weeks and I was quoted up to 12.
    Oakwood Farm
    Home to Rowntree Welsh & Half Welsh Hunter Ponies!
    Bloodlines includes Llanarth Senator, Rosedale Top Cat, Telynau Elgar & more!

My Antares came in at 12 weeks as quoted. There are some models though that are coming in as little as 8 weeks.

Default The French take off 3 weeks in the summer

They are headed into the final week off. Most of the saddle makers will plan so that production doesn't get to far behind. 8 weeks is a reasonable deliver time frame sometimes faster occasionally slower.

County saddles are wool flocked versus the foam of the Antares and CWD so can be custom fit to you and your horse. My County took longer to arrive as there was a problem with the hides that they received and would not accept but the saddle fitter let me use one of her demo saddles during the wait time.

Try County - love them.

Quote Originally Posted by LastCall9 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

Where are County saddles made?

I'm still wondering how long this French summer holiday thing will set back a saddle from France! I read that in France people get 8-10 weeks of holidays per year. Wouldn't that be nice!!
    County saddles are made in England. They take between 8-12 weeks but normally you get them in 8-10 weeks. My rep let me use a demo of the saddle until mine came in the mail.

I'm fairly certain that CWD and Devoucoux pretty much shut down in August - that's what I've heard from their reps.
    www.saddlesolution.com
    Your premier source for quality used and consignment saddles

Yikes - so not only for the next week but also for the entire month of August?

I guess that would add an extra 4 weeks onto my saddle order.

I've ordered two.

My County, which came from England, took 10 weeks, I think... I was itchy for it! That was over a summer. (ordered in late May, arrived in later August)

My Delgrange was quoted up to 12 weeks but came in something like 6 1/2 or 7 weeks. Ordered in late September, received in early November.

A friend of mine ordered an Antares and it took five months over winter to show up. Another friend who ordered an Antares waited 3 1/2 months. I haven't heard of anything under 12 weeks for them.

My new Stackhouse (truly custom, not "customized") took less than 6 weeks.

My County took exactly 12 weeks. My rep said ordinarily it would take 10 weeks, but I ordered it in November, so the intervening Christmas holidays added a couple of weeks.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson