The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation critique

This is a gelding I used to own & am considering getting him back. He is a lower level dressage horse.

As I need to learn more about conformation I'd like those in the know to be very honest. I take horrible pics & he wasn't standing well in the still shots.

Please do NOT rip on the rider's attire as she didn't know I'd be taking pics that day. http://www.picturetrail.com/gid23855739

I guess his conformation sucks! ack!

There is not a picture there that even allows a guess.

He looks like a cute horse and from the photos there's nothing that screams no. Can't tell all that much from the photos.

Keep in mind that almost any horse can do lower level dressage. And up to about 2nd level, you can compensate for mediocre gaits by riding accurate figures and having a horse that accepts the bit. I had one of those and we were successful in our local venue -- more so than his conformation and gaits would have predicted. I knew he would never be competitive in a larger setting but that wasn't important to me.

The key thing is the horse's brain. Does he try hard? Is he fun to ride? That's what really counts.

He's slightly behind the vertical in the under saddle shot and it's hard to know whether that's become habitual for him or whether he would lengthen his neck and reach into the contact if ridden different (or whether this was just an unfortunate timing on the photo). Not a big problem but can be tricky to fix if they don't trust the contact.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Can I play??

Let's start by saying ANY horse sound in mind and body is capable of lower level dressage.

If I were looking at him as an upper level prospect:
    Massive shoulder and withers, with neck tied in a bit
    lower than I would like, front legs set a hair back so that
    would limit shoulder freedom in changes and extensions,
    back very long and withers would make the saddle sit
    even further back, weak hind end - almost lady waisted
    with a bit of a goose rump, very straight hind legs.
    Lovely head.
    He may easily prove me wrong if I saw him move - hey, I have been wrong before.

Low set short neck,weak loin and gaskin,short leg long back...but he's a beautiful colour and has a lovely face and seems to be sweet and willing.Who cares, if you like him and he does what you want,get him

Shows what I know, I thought he'd make a nice WP horse.

Actually, I've ridden horses that were all wrong for something and somehow they pulled it together and we beat much better horses.

I think he's cute but then again, I think all horses are cute...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

What do you want to do with him now? Why did you sell him before? I think he's lovely and cute, and perfectly suitable and serviceable for lower-end stuff - and I can't rip on the rider's attire, because I'm pretty sure I have (and have ridden in!) those yoga pants before! If he has a good brain and heart and you miss having him in your life, then by all means go for it!

are you asking for a confo critique because you want to learn and you are curious about this guy--or are you asking as a deciscion maker for whether to take him back?

If the latter, I really wouldn't put a whole lot oe weight in how he is put together- think more about what you think of him, and whey he left your company before...he seems like a sweet boy who is willing to try, and that says a whole lot more than how his neck ties in or how his legs are put on.

Is he grand prix material- probably not- but is that really what you are looking for....

I guess what I am getting at is- think more about what you want him for --realistically--and is he going to be able to do that job for you. If yes, then take him home, if no, then you should probably pass.

I have seen some horribly put together horses that had the heart and work ethic - and they did quite well.

Thank you all for the critiques.

I'm asking in part, because I'm clueless about conformation unless it's a realllllllllllllly obvious flaw. I can be very barn blind. And again, I can't take a good pic even with a great camera.

I actually gave him away to someone I trusted as I needed to move due to a family situation & couldn't at the time afford to bring him with me. That person is now wanting to move him along & I just want to make sure he doesn't end up in a bad place. It's not that they would do that on purpose but you never know. I'd rather keep him close and I can do that now.

Thank you all for the critiques.

I'm asking in part, because I'm clueless about conformation unless it's a realllllllllllllly obvious flaw. I can be very barn blind. And again, I can't take a good pic even with a great camera.

I actually gave him away to someone I trusted as I needed to move due to a family situation & couldn't at the time afford to bring him with me. That person is now wanting to move him along & I just want to make sure he doesn't end up in a bad place. It's not that they would do that on purpose but you never know. I'd rather keep him close and I can do that now.