The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to get the elastic on breastplate and girth clean??

Ah, summer

With the heat we've been having lately, all my tack is disgusting after I ride - especially the fleece and elastic on my breastplate and the elastic on my girth. What is the best way to get the elastic back to white again?? I've tried soap and water but it hasn't gotten it very white Also, how do I get the fleece...well....fleecy again? It's all gummy and matted flat from sweat I know, I should be cleaning my tack, but when it's a zillion degrees out I just dunk the bit in his bucket and call it a day

I wash my elastic and web breastplates with soap (Dawn), water, and a stiff brush. Everything always seems to come pretty clean. I don't worry about the elastic on girths very much, but if it was a leather girth (instead of one I can chuck in the washer), I would use the same protocol.

As for fleece...well, that's exactly why I don't like fleece on strap goods! I guess you could try washing it with something gentle, wring it out, and let it air dry. Don't know how fluffy it'll a get.

Peroxide +/- Oxy Clean +/- Spray n Wash +/- some sort of laundry detergent +/- dish soap +/- paper towel +/- hard brush = clean girth elastic

Add different soaps as you need them. Also hands, paper towel or hard brushes always seem to work to some degree.

you can also just pour some bleach on the elastic portion. Let it sit on the stained area for a few minutes, then use soap to wash it off.

It always worked well for me. :P

For fleece and elastics I've always used a brush (or hard tooth brush for elastics), mild dish soap and water. To get the fluffy parts fluffy again use a wire cat-hair brush after it dries. It'll look like new!
    I'd rather be riding!

I saw somewhere that you can use Woolite on the elastic part of the breastplate. Someone suggested toothpaste, but I tried that, and it didn't work worth a darn. I'm going to try to Woolite next.

Well, I am curious to hear how others have been cleaning their elastic breastplates as well. The weather has been horrid, so my breastplate looks like it took a dip in the ocean after use. I've been toting it over to the 'wash rack' along with my Pro Choice girth & horse, and thoroughly hosing them all off That salt is not good for the leather, or the elastic (or horse!), and besides being blasted with a hose, not sure how else to get it out. Now, I don't think this is the best way to care for my beautiful breastplate, but not sure how else to deal with the issue. I've been wiping the leather down with a towel & some Effax post hosing, and it looks/feels fabulous. Makes me cringe a bit, however, it only gets used for a serious jump school or show, typically once a week.

Oxyclean seems to do the trick for our elastic breastplates and fleece pieces.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by goodmorning View Post
    Well, I am curious to hear how others have been cleaning their elastic breastplates as well. The weather has been horrid, so my breastplate looks like it took a dip in the ocean after use. I've been toting it over to the 'wash rack' along with my Pro Choice girth & horse, and thoroughly hosing them all off That salt is not good for the leather, or the elastic (or horse!), and besides being blasted with a hose, not sure how else to get it out. Now, I don't think this is the best way to care for my beautiful breastplate, but not sure how else to deal with the issue. I've been wiping the leather down with a towel & some Effax post hosing, and it looks/feels fabulous. Makes me cringe a bit, however, it only gets used for a serious jump school or show, typically once a week.
    This is pretty much what I do. A good hosing off helps quite a bit. But I find to get it really clean you need to scrub with a brush. I don't like using a lot of different products, though...I have horses that break out in hives if you look at them crooked, which is why I stick to Dawn for washing things like their breastplates. I use Dawn on them, so I figure it's safe on the stuff they wear, and Dawn is pretty hard core when it comes to cleaning stuff. However, it is one of the few things that doesn't screw up MY skin (I'm almost as sensitive as the boys), so I figure it's safe for them!

Don't use Peroxide or bleach on elastic - it will eat it up. I think you need to use the soap and scrub...and treat the leather later. My experience is that the leather is tougher, so i am in the camp of hosing, dunking, soaking, and then condition/treat the leather parts to "make up" for it. The main thing is to get that salt off - of everything - as fast as possible.