The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 20+ horse manure management

How are those of you with larger horse herd operations managing your manure?

Are you haing professionally removed from the property after you pile it?

Are you using dumpster service?

Do yo just keep on piling?

Are you using spreaders, tubs or wheelbarrels?

Currently, we have 23 horses and clean with tubs, loading into a dump truck off a ramp, we have to dump the truck twice a week, it gets frozen in during the winter and we start a pile anyway. There has got to be a better way...

well...14 horses here....but a lot of poo.
    first, the horses live out 24/7 spring summer fall except for extreme weather (like the heat this week/are on night TO only) and come in every night in winter. They rotate pastures. With the remaining poo...which was quite a mountain this winter as it was a severe one and they were in much more than usual.....we compost it for 6 months then spread it on the hay field: once in early spring and again after hay is done being baled. The poo pile gets turned with a bucket loader tractor on occasion. It is spread with a good sized manure spreader. Bigger is better....composted poo is HEAVY stuff!

Thirteen horses here, stalled about 12/7.

Depending on the weather we either compost or spread the bedding.

I have a Newer Spreader 200 which I pull with a golf cart. I can do it easily with 2 loads or if I am lazy and have a gate to go through to a far pasture I overfill the spreader and put 4 tubs in the back of the golf cart, dumping them into the spreader when it is emptied.

The Newer Spreader is awesome as lomg as there is not to much wasted hay in the manure. For more horses I would go with
    http://www.abiequine.com/products/ma...-spreader.html

Both shred the bedding and drop it straight down....no flying turds

We have a LARGE compost heap. Barring disaster I am thinking of selling preplanted grow bags with potatoes, peppers etc
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

We have 18 horses stalled (night turnout for as long as possible, day turnout during the winter), plus 6 on field board. Our manure is stored in a dumpster and hauled off as needed. During the winter, that's every 2-3 weeks, over the summer it stretches to 4-5 weeks.

For transport to the dumpster, we use some combination of wheelbarrow, muck buckets, and Kubota RTV, depending on ground conditions and point of origin.

Love my dumpster!

Quote Originally Posted by findthedistance View Post
    We have 18 horses stalled (night turnout for as long as possible, day turnout during the winter), plus 6 on field board. Our manure is stored in a dumpster and hauled off as needed. During the winter, that's every 2-3 weeks, over the summer it stretches to 4-5 weeks.

For transport to the dumpster, we use some combination of wheelbarrow, muck buckets, and Kubota RTV, depending on ground conditions and point of origin.

Love my dumpster!
    Same for us, 16 horses--dumpsters (2) that are emptied once a month at a tree farm 1 block away. I bought the dumpsters years ago, and the roll-off truck driver charges $100 to empty them both. It takes him about 15 minutes from start to finish.

Lots of property here in KY and not too much worry about contamination of the water supply, although that could change.

Several hundred horses generate manure for a commercial composting operation, they use 20 or so acres out of about 400+to make windrows and start at one end turning, by the time they get back to the beginning it's finished product and sold at a reasonable price. They also reclaim straw from bedding and sell it at baled at half price for lanscaping uses.

The other two operations I'm familiar with spread their manure daily. The 94 acre one grows their own hay and right now is growing corn in half the hayfields. They spread and they make a composting heap that my DH loaded up on last year for our little trees, the BO knows quite a few gardeners and that pile is always spoken for. The 60 acre one spreads and makes heaps in one of the pastures. I don't know if anyone loads up the heaped piles or not.
    KY does not as a rule have snow on the ground for more than a week in the winter, we usually get about four inches and it melts off before we get more snowfall so although we freeze pretty good driving out to the fields is doable.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible