The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Just did my good "rescue" deed for the year :-/

*Sigh*. I won't get into how I know this lady, but lets just say I found out she was keeping a 10 year old Collie x Bernese Mountain Dog mix in a 5ft x 5ft cage 24/7 most days, or if not in there then outside in this 90+ degree heat (without any shelter he could fit into) for periods of a few days at a time. He's been kept like that for the past 3+ years. IMO that's cruel for any dog, but especially for one with a typical Bernese coat. I told her I'd take him and I went and picked him up today.

His coat was SO matted. I don't know when the last time he was groomed. He had old feces matted to his hind end. He acted as if his ears hurt so I figured they were infected. Surprisingly he was up to date on the core vaccines.

We had him an hour before we took him to his vet appt. His ears are really badly infected, so they were cleaned and we are applying medication 2x a day. His eyes are slightly clouded... and at the time of the vet appt (he still had all his hair at this point) we could feel one fatty tumor.

Right from the vet he went to the groomer, who was nice enough to squeeze us in. They couldn't do anything to save his coat because it was so matted, so he was completely shaved down everywhere besides his head... he looks kinda funny now. It took almost 4 hours to get him groomed. Now that he is shaved, you can see that he has TONS of tumors everywhere (sides, stomach, back). I'm hoping they are just fatty tumors that dogs get as they age (our basset hound has a few). The vet just wants to watch them for now. You can tell though, that he already feels SO much better shaved.

He's such a great dog... so far he seems to be house trained, he knows a few commands, and will stick around with us in the yard. He gets along great with our other dogs (I know you should quarantine, but we don't have the set up for that and our vet felt he was healthy aside from your typical older dog issues) and is so, so, so sweet. My parents want to eventually adopt him out, but I'm working on trying to convince them to keep him for at least the next year until I can get a place at school that allows dogs and can take him with me. I'm secretly hoping that nobody wants a 10 year old dog with all these tumors and grooming needs Regardless of whether we keep him or adopt him out, I'm just glad that I was able to get him out of that situation. I just hope he knows that he has the good life now.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

I don't know why people get a dog, to just forget it outside.

At least you are looking after him now.

Default Bless You For Helping Him ~

* Bless you for helping him ~

Hoping he has found his forever home in yours ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Good for you! Quite possibly just fatty tumors...gives them that cottage cheese look.

Actually I wouldn't have tried to save his coat anyway, not this time of year. And most thick coated dogs *adore* being shaved in hot weather. Well, after they get over the initial "I feel weird and why do you keep laughing at me" phase.

I've had Malamutes often in the past and always shaved them into the close velvet clip in late spring. Made them feel fantastic, cut down on me having to vaccuum every 5 minutes (boy can Mals shed!) and was always good for at least a week of giggling at how silly they looked.

I've taken in a handful or so of dogs that people tend to keep/treat as unwanted cattle. Never did understand why anyone would get a dog and then ignore it and keep it away from the family. Glad you took this one and glad he's got a sweet personality and is happy and comfy now.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Good for you! Quite possibly just fatty tumors...gives them that cottage cheese look.

Actually I wouldn't have tried to save his coat anyway, not this time of year. And most thick coated dogs *adore* being shaved in hot weather. Well, after they get over the initial "I feel weird and why do you keep laughing at me" phase.

I've had Malamutes often in the past and always shaved them into the close velvet clip in late spring. Made them feel fantastic, cut down on me having to vaccuum every 5 minutes (boy can Mals shed!) and was always good for at least a week of giggling at how silly they looked.

I've taken in a handful or so of dogs that people tend to keep/treat as unwanted cattle. Never did understand why anyone would get a dog and then ignore it and keep it away from the family. Glad you took this one and glad he's got a sweet personality and is happy and comfy now.

My initial plan was to just shave him completely, but my mom wanted to see if they could leave a little length. He is so much more comfortable shaved though.

As for the fatty tumors, I'm thinking and hoping that's what they are. Our basset hound is 14 and he has them too. Our dogs are all oldish :-/ 9, 10, 10, and 14! Hard to believe we've had the 9 and 10 year old since puppy age.

My dad agreed to taking him "temporarally" because of the situation he was in. He claims that he doesn't really like the dog but I can see otherwise He'll fall in love with him soon enough lol
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

If they are squishy don't worry about them!
    It's when they are hard you have to be concerned .

And... PICTURES!?!?!?!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Quote Originally Posted by Nes View Post
    If they are squishy don't worry about them!
    It's when they are hard you have to be concerned .

And... PICTURES!?!?!?!

He weighed 80lbs at the vet today, but I bet he weighs a good 10 lbs less without all that hair! I'm going to take him to Petsmart tomorrow to use their scale and see how much he weighs now. We are gonna have to put sunscreen on him for now until his hair grows in some.

And this is the only pic I have so far. I will get more tomorrow. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4339011...in/photostream

My dad agreed to taking him "temporarally" because of the situation he was in.
    LOL, yeah that's what they all say. We took in my neighbors dog overnight last December. According to my husband it was "Just for tonight. I do NOT want another dog! I mean it!"

He hasn't left since. has had major dental work done, a few other small things. Hubby buys him beds and toys and chews and spoils him rotten.

That photo of your new dog is priceless! I grinned like heck when I opened it. He looks adorable all nekked with a foofy head and ears! Like a Muppet, LOL!

So what's his name?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    LOL, yeah that's what they all say. We took in my neighbors dog overnight last December. According to my husband it was "Just for tonight. I do NOT want another dog! I mean it!"

He hasn't left since. has had major dental work done, a few other small things. Hubby buys him beds and toys and chews and spoils him rotten.

That photo of your new dog is priceless! I grinned like heck when I opened it. He looks adorable all nekked with a foofy head and ears! Like a Muppet, LOL!

So what's his name?
    Lol, yeah, my dad claims he doesn't like our dobie/hound x either. But guess who is the one covering her with a blanket because "she's cold". Or giving them all a bone before he leaves for work in the morning I think he just doesn't want to be seen as a softie.

And his name is Carl . Such a terrible name for a dog, but it fits him and he knows his name so that's the name he'll keep.

Oh he is adorable!

Love his alert pose... have fun with your new pup.

Awww. Good for you! He must think he hit the jackpot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Milocalwinnings View Post
    And this is the only pic I have so far. I will get more tomorrow. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4339011...in/photostream
    OMG, he's darling! And I actually like the name Carl

Good for you for taking care of him. I bet he feels a ton better with all that dirty matted hair off, and hopefully the ears will also feel better soon.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Bravo, bravo bravo and bravo. If only EVERYONE thought this way! I have two misfit shelter lifers and I wouldn't trade them for the world...my roommate and I are both veterinary nurses (but met each other when we both worked for a shelter) and the first dog I ever adopted from there was a 14 year old tumor ridden, blind, deaf and MATTED old english sheepdog. I had her for one year....and it was one of the most precious years of my life. When she finally had a lovely coat growing out, looked and felt good, I just teared up looking at her. I find NOTHING in the world more satisfying than being a retiree home to an old dog who's given their whole life to human servitude...it feels so dignified to offer them a quiet place to be safe. And they require so little. One of my dogs currently I adopted last year as a puppy; he came in with heatstroke/seizures and was born deaf/blind so its not like I picked him from a catalogue, but GOOD GOD I AM NEVER DOING THE PUPPY THING AGAIN. I think the only reason he's half sane is because he has my 9 year old baldy I adopted 2 years ago. Less time commitment, less training commitment, old dogs rule. Seriously, bless you. You have absolutely changed his life for good and you will have a DEVOTED companion for the rest of his years. Older dogs just KNOW when they've met their savior.

CONGRATS!!!

and ((((HUGS)))). You did a wonderful thing for Carl. He looks to be very happy already, and I'm glad he found his Guardian Angel

I didn't expect him to look like that, with the history of infected ears, I thought he would have berner ears, not those.

He looks very handsome there, you do need to take many more pictures.

He looks wonderful, now that he has a real home.

My Berners say thank you The picture is priceless, what a look he's sporting My DH is the true softie of the house as well. I hope Carl has a great life with you
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Yes, we have three rescue dogs. And I just convinced my husband to take a long term collie foster. Every dog, he says no more dogs. He's such a pushover, poor guy.

Congrats to you on your new dog. The seniors can add such joy to your life.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

You did a really great thing taking this dog. As long as it taking 4 hours to get him groomed - I'm a groomer and that's just how long it takes. What probably happened was the groomer pre-shaved him, but had a hard time getting the clipper through since he was so dirty/oily it kept clogging up the blade. So be happy that he wasn't in there for 6/7 hours like some Great Pyrenees or Newfys end up.

Bernese are such great dogs, but I agree you probably won't find a home for an older large dog with fatty tumors and cataracts developing. Good thing huh since you love him already.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" -Winston Churchill

Thanks guys. All of our dogs have been personal rescues or adopted from shelters. We have also fostered quite a few dogs from the rescue I volunteer with, some have taken longer than others to adopt (one took a year to adopt out because of his fear issues). I do hope that nobody wants to adopt him because that means we get to keep him I'm also slowly trying to talk my dad into keeping him if I give him $$ each month to build a fund for any vet or kennel bills. We'll see- I'm trying to not push too hard for that yet since he did at least agree to letting me bring the dog home.

I'm amazed at what a great dog he is though. I expected us to have to do at least a little bit of house training work, and he seems completely housetrained so far. We have had no issues with him at all and our dogs have been great with him.

As a side note, I counted 14 fatty tumors, some fist size, others smaller. There's also a growth on his leg that I will point out to the vet when we take him in for a recheck on his ears. He does NOT like having those meds put in...

I'll take more pics today once the battery on my camera charges.

He's adorable!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant