The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rules gurus: horse with one eye question

Can a horse with one eye removed event? I'm having an issue finding the rule if not or if it's considered an unsoundness. Does it make a difference if the horse has 2 eyes but is 100% blind in one eye vs having one removed and 100% vision in the remaining eye?

Tia!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

From the rulebook

4. HORSES. Eventing Competitions are open to stallions, mares or geldings. The age of the
    horse must comply with the specifications of the competition. For Horse Trials and Events,
    horses may only compete once and must be ridden by the same competitor throughout.
    a. As an exception to the general requirements of GR841, a horse is eligible for
    Eventing competitions even though it has complete loss of sight in one eye, provided
    sight in the other eye is normal and provided it meets the other requirements.

Doesn't specify whether the eye is present or not so I would think it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by Action42; Jul. 22, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Hit enter too soon

Quote Originally Posted by Action42 View Post
    Doesn't specify whether the eye is present or not so I would think it doesn't matter.
    It doesn't matter. I've personally seen 2 horses competing with one eye (both had the other eye removed). One was going preliminary, and the other novice.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Frankie Thieriot's upper level mount Fric lost vision in his right eye and subsequently had it removed. She has continued to compete him and was scheduled to ride at Rolex this year before a suspensory injury sidelined them.

http://www.thepilot.com/news/2011/ap...nkie-Listened/

http://www.rk3de.org/featured_rider.php?id=28
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Yes, there was a horse with only one eye competing at Tattersalls International this year. Don't know which class it was in, but it would have to have been FEI level.

Thank you guys so much for finding the rule and the good news. I really appreciate it!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

I'm pretty sure eponacowgirl events on a horse with one eye? And I have known a few one-eyed horses who evented.
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Yep..... Had a horse at our barn that lost vision in one eye and eventually had to have it removed entirely. He wasn't able to compete in the jumpers any more but he could still event.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    It doesn't matter. I've personally seen 2 horses competing with one eye (both had the other eye removed). One was going preliminary, and the other novice.
    Since you are in Tx, is the Novice horse you refer my big mare? Missing her right eye, big bay with big ears?
    If not, then there is another 1 eyed horse out there. :-)
    FWIW, my mare lost it when she was 3 m old. So as far as she is concerned, all horses only have 1 eye. We have not treated her any differently than any other horse in regards to her right side vs left side either. People who really know her (including me) swear she can see out of it. When she runs out, believe it or not it is most often to the right, ie her blind side.

I also know of a horse that had gone training that is blind in his left eye. Not missing it but blind just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Since you are in Tx, is the Novice horse you refer my big mare? Missing her right eye, big bay with big ears?
    If not, then there is another 1 eyed horse out there. :-)
    FWIW, my mare lost it when she was 3 m old. So as far as she is concerned, all horses only have 1 eye. We have not treated her any differently than any other horse in regards to her right side vs left side either. People who really know her (including me) swear she can see out of it. When she runs out, believe it or not it is most often to the right, ie her blind side.

I also know of a horse that had gone training that is blind in his left eye. Not missing it but blind just the same.
    It was a mare, but not you I don't think. She belonged to a woman in TX, and they actually quit competing a few yrs. ago. Didn't have anything to do with the mare's capablities however. I'll look for you in our area!
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Absolutely! We have a horse at our barn that had his left eye removed. He did Novice in June.

Briarlands Blackberry has competed at 4* level. Here's his record.

I compete on a horse that is blind in his left eye! He lost vision last summer and, though we had some difficulties during the "losing sight" process, now that it is gone, he really has no problems. We don't compete a lot and only at BN but it is certainly me and not his loss of sight that is holding us back!

Just adding to the roster of one-eyed eventers who've done well: here is Vena winning individual Bronze at NAJYRC in 2008.
    http://www.stockimageservices.com/de...d=137&pid=3215

Definitely some one-eyed eventers out there. To the best of my knowledge in North America (English disciplines, non-breed shows) one-eyed horses are allowed to compete in eventing, dressage, jumpers, eq. In the US they are allowed to show in the hunters, in Canada they are (were?) in the process of updating the rules to omit having "one eye" as an unsoundness (and therefore not eligible to show).

I believe they are not permitted to play polo due to the (obvious) hazards of the game.

The only way I can tell which side my horse's remaining eye is on is by the direction he spooks. He never spooks on his blind side, only his "good" side. (Yeesh... )
    Horses - if God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself.

Check out My Horse Chat!

I had to chime in only because a good friend of mine goes training on a one-eyed TB (he lost the eye to recurring uveitis). His honest-to-God JC registered name is Sea Pirate! The irony still cracks me up! He jumps around now pretty much the same way he did with 2 eyes.