The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Darcy wants a new career Guest

Smile working student

Hi. My name is Darcy and I am looking for a job as a working student. If anyone could give me advice or help me out I'd be grateful. I have an older schoolmaster type oldenberg gelding who has done alot of eventing up to preliminary level. I bought him so that I could learn eventing as it is something I have always wanted to do. I live in las vegas and we do not have any eventing here, or many people interested in it. I am a realtor currently here in vegas. I am not happy working lots of hours so that I can have a horse and show and take lessons. I was helping a friend last year part time as a quasi-working student who has many years in the eventing world and was a great teacher. Unfortunately she suffered a major stroke and a ruptured aneurysm, she was in a coma and is making a slow recovery. She will not be able to teach again for a long time. I have decided to pursue a career in horses. I have spent my entire life trying to live up to the great expectation of a fancy house and lots of money. I have not been happy. I have always loved horses and would rather be broke and happy than miserable with a pile of money. I have always had my horses on my property and taken care of them myself since I was 9yrs old and my parents got me my first pony. I am a very competent person and have been self employed the majority of my life. I am fascinated by all thing medical and am well read on nutrition, equine disease, wound and injury care and prevention. I am not an accomplished trainer or rider but I try, listen and am extremely motivated and determined. I raised one little quarter horse from a baby, taught her to lead, pull a cart. do tricks and ride. I made alot of mistakes but I learned from them. I also had a beautiful wacked out ottb that I got with no training other that track training. He had alot of old injuries and was very accident prone. but I did teach him basic dressage and jumping. (with a trainer on the ground) I also spent huge amounts of time with natural horsemanship with him as he was not a mello horse. I have always liked high spirited horses but he took the phrase "hot" to a whole new level. I now have an older scoolmaster so I can learn to ride better. I am showing at training level with high marks and hope to move up to 1st level soon. I am jumping small courses and learning to steer, jump get to the right spot all at once ect.. I am showing at the hopeful jumper level 2'6" at local shows. I would like to someday become a competent trainer and teach students. I have alot to learn and am willing to do all the work necessary to achieve my goals. I have cleaned stalls for years, trailered my horse daily and dragged, watered my arena. I understand pasture management. I can braid, trim pull manes,wrap legs and clean tack. I am not a good body clipper. I need practice. I have groomed for people at dressage shows. I am not a kid and I'm very responsible/ trustworthy. I get along with people from all walks of life and am a very hard worker. I am very handy and have rehabbed houses, been a licensed electrician and can fix things like broken fences and water pipes. I am ready to make a drastic lifestyle change and start doing something I enjoy. thank you. Iam working on having a video made and should have one next week. Darcy Parsons 702-429-3311 darcy.parson@gmail.com

I recommend sending some professionals a brief email asking if they're accepting working students, that is probably the way you're going to get the quickest and easiest response. best of luck!
    Why walk when you can ride?