The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default FREE Literary Salon at Hunter's Rest with CotH's own Jody Jaffe!!!!

Testing the waters for interest in a FREE writing seminar here at Hunter’s Rest on August 6 and 7, 2011.
    My friends – and Pulitzer (and other) prize-winning journalists and journalism and feature writing professors John Muncie and Jody Jaffe are trying out a new format for “weekend writing salon” they are developing. And they want to try it out on us!!
    I’ll let Jody Jaffe (part of the Pulitzer Prize winning team from the Charlotte Observer, and a renowned horse show mystery writer, journalist and novelist) describe the weekend:
    “Great narrative, be it fiction or non-fiction marries the bones of
    writing (tension and plot) to the flesh (detail, character and voice).
    Some writers tend toward flesh, others toward bone. During this
    weekend workshop, we'll explore balancing and strengthening both
    components of writing.

On Saturday evening (**August 6, say, at 5 pm**), we'll read some flash fiction and article excerpts
    to illustrate how to accomplish this quickly and economically. We'll
    talk about the components of good writing and flabby writing and how to
    tell the difference. This will be a discussion, not a lecture. So if you come, you have to talk.
    We'll also do a few in-workshop exercises to prime the pump for the short writing exercise
    to be completed and discussed on Sunday (**August 7, say, at 10 am to 1 pm**). You will have the option to write
    it as memoir, fiction or non-fiction. It will be short, fun and
    structured. Consider it training wheels (or for you horse peeps,
    cavelletis) for writing. This two-day mini workshop and literary salon is for any kind of writing: novel, memoir,
    feature story. Good writing is good writing. The building blocks are
    the same.”

Now, let me tell you about their credentials, and about the proposed schedule:
    ** Jody Jaffe and John Muncie will lead the mini-workshop. Jody
    is the author of the Nattie Gold equine mystery series featured in
    People Magazine. As a feature writer for the Charlotte Observer, she
    was on the team that won the Pulitzer Prize for the Jim and Tammy Fae
    Bakker story.
    She and John have taught fiction writing at the Bethesda
    Writer's Center and journalism at Georgetown and Hollins universities.

John was the Arts and Entertainment Editor at the Baltimore Sun, the
    Assistant Managing Editor at the San Diego Union-Tribune and a travel
    editor and columnist at the LA Times. He co-wrote two novels with Jody,
    under the pen name John Jaffe. He is the journalism intern coordinator
    at Washington and Lee University. Their freelance articles have
    appeared in many major newspapers and magazines including the New York
    Times, the LA Times and Washingtonian magazine.

** A proposed schedule could look like this:
    Salon session 1 – Saturday August 6. 5 pm at Hunter’s Rest. Drinks and snacks provided during a 2-hour introductory session with short presentation by our instructors and start on the writing exercises. Self-treat dinner at the Griffin Tavern afterwards (I’ll reserve the upstairs room.)
    Salon session 2 – Sunday August 7. 10 am at Hunter’s Rest. Coffee provided during a 3-hour workshop with writing exercises and practice. Lunch to follow session. (bring a dish or drinks to share.)
    This event is free and open to all – all ages, all experience, all types of writers, even non-writers who crave intelligent conversation and expansion of your experience. Feel free to pass this along to anyone you think would appreciate this type of workshop.
    And PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP to let me know if you are: a.) Interested, b.) If the days/times work for you (and if not, when might suit better – I can change it), and c.) If you have any ideas to make this better.
    This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us – a chance to go back to college for a high level writing course without actually having to leave the ‘hood.
    Betsy Burke Parker
    Hunter’s Rest
    Flint Hill, Virginia
    (540) 364-2929
    (540) 229-2048
    www.HuntersRest.net
    BetsyP@crosslink.net
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Ugh, if I lived in the same state (or even a nearby one!) I would ABSOLUTELY be on board! Alas, I will have to pass - but wanted to say that it sounds like a phenomenal opportunity!

I'm not even a journalist and I'd love to come. Hope you can get a good group together.
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

I'm VERY interested. DH is sleeping so cant ask him, but he may well want to join in as well. Keep us posted! Thanks for sharing this possibility! Cheers- Kirsten
    Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Jealous! That sounds amazing. We need an equestrian writers' salon here in NYC...
    Natalie Keller Reinert
    Tweet! * Retired Racehorse Blog * Books

That sounds great. While I'd love to attend i'm not sure I can arrange it on such short notice. With more planning time, I'd find a way.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

DH is a go as well. Now trying to get a good friend and her hubby in NYC to come-they were talking about visiting sometime in August anyway....

Cheers--Kirsten

Is there an age limit? I have a 16 year old student very interested.
    She's delightful, brilliant, and very mature for her years.

Cheers, Kirsten

The Writer's Salon is full (at 12, plus 'the house' but Jody has agreed to repeat it, maybe in December!
    Email me at home (thru my website) to get on the list for updates!!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

We're looking forward to our first Writers' Weekend Workshop. Thanks to everyone for your interest. We plan to take our act on the road, like the riding clinicians do, except we'll be training writers instead of riders. Think of us as the Buck of Words.

If there's interest in NYC, we would gladly go up there. My agent, Jenny Bent, has agreed to be a guest speaker at events near her (she lives in Brooklyn).

So if anyone's interested in hosting a Salon, let us know. It would be two days, Saturday and Sunday.

Thanks
    Jody Jaffe
    jodybjaffe@aol.com

Just popping in to say a friend and I attended the writer's salon at Hunter's Rest this past weekend. I have attended a semester long for credit writer's workshop through a University and also a series of classes at the highly regarded Bethesda Writer's Center and found Jody and John's tag team critique approach unique and refreshing. Plus it was a great opportunity to meet imaginative intellectual rider/writers from the Mid-west, South and Mid-Atlantic. Hunter's Rest took us all on trail ride through the Jordan River and Old Dominion Hunt Territory and even found time to give my 30+ year old never ever writer friend from Brooklyn trotting in her front field on Sunday Morning after she whipped up breakfast!

Thanks so much to our Hostess Hunter's Rest and Jody and John! I look forward to attending the next iteration of the workshop and loved meeting y'all in person and learning from you.

It opened up a whole new world for me.

I can't thank Jody, John, and HR enough for their generosity. My life has become rather parochial, so to be in a room with filled with such wit and erudition was just plain refreshing.

Kill the adverbs!!!

Lesson13-it was so nice to see you again. Hope to see you out this season.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default Yes, death to the adverbs. quickly :)

We were humbled by the talent at this first workshop. There were many times when I said to myself, "Darn, wish I'd written that."

We think we've worked out the kinks for the next one, thanks to the feedback we received (which was the price of admission).

If there's one thing I love almost as much as horses, it's words. So spending a weekend tending both is my idea of heaven.

Our youngest participant was 14, and she taught us all a lesson in clarity. Well done Mackenzie. Or as my old editor used to say, "Write to express, not impress."

I'll close on the words of Anton Chekov:
    "Don't tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass."

We saw many glints this past weekend. Thank you.

Jody Jaffe and John Muncie
    The Comma Factory Writing Workshops
    jodybjaffe@aol.com