The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Found cause - need solution . . .

So, every spring/summer my guy gets a bald spot just below the top of his tail. I finally figured out what he's doing to cause this - when he rolls, he grinds his tail into the ground!
    The skin is not dry, nor is it itchy - that's just part of his rolling routine.

Not an issue in the winter, because he's blanketed and the blanket protects his tail.

So, now what? Any ideas? Not sure if a tail bag would work, because this is so close to the top of his tail . . .
    http://fromdressagehorsetocowpony.blogspot.com/

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

You just explained why the top of my geldings tail always looks rubbed out....thanks...now a solution?????

Quote Originally Posted by qhwpmare View Post
    You just explained why the top of my geldings tail always looks rubbed out....thanks...now a solution?????
    It was so obvious once I put it all together . . . and explains how the spot can be hardly noticable one day and huge the next . . . and no signs of rubbing on his butt cheeks!

"I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

OK -- I'm just brain storming here.

What if you bought some women's knee-high "hose" type socks, cut the foot off and slid the tubes up the tail with the elastic part at the top? Shouldn't be too tight and should protect and smooth the tail??? Rinse-able and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvegates View Post
    OK -- I'm just brain storming here.

What if you bought some women's knee-high "hose" type socks, cut the foot off and slid the tubes up the tail with the elastic part at the top? Shouldn't be too tight and should protect and smooth the tail??? Rinse-able and cheap.
    Interesting idea! I'll have to try it - not sure if it would stay in place - but it would be cheap enough to do some experimenting. Thanks.