The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default making horse cookies with supplements

Anyone do this? My horse is on 24/7 pasture at a ranch. I give him a little bucket of grain with his supps about 2-3x week, but I'd like him to get his probios more often. My thought is to make some cookies-uncooked-the usual horse cookie ingredients plus daily doses of his supps. BO said she'd be ok
    with giving him one a day.

Any reason why this is not a good idea?

if you don't cook them, won't they spoil? Maybe you could dry them in a dehydrator? I have thought about this and wonder if baking will take away effectiveness of supp's???

I'm almost positive that probios already is available in a "treat" form - let me double check!

I was going to make only 5 or 7 at a time, indiv. bag them and keep them in the fridge-

And yes, next time I'll try to find a treat that has the probios and msm together!

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by islandrider View Post
    I was going to make only 5 or 7 at a time, indiv. bag them and keep them in the fridge-
    It should work, I had to do that for my gelding who turned his nose up at the expensive chinese herbs that the vet wanted me to have him eat. I ran the recipe past the vet, and he said as long as they were unbaked, it should be fine, and that there was nothing in the recipe that would be bad for the horse.

Wrap in wax paper, it makes it easier to serve, as they won't stick to the wax paper.

My recipe was ground up oatmeal (in a coffee bean grinder), shortening, molasses, and a dab of brown sugar. I would also roll each "cookie" in the unground oatmeal, they looked a bit like nut-covered cheese balls.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams