The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yearling decided to make hamburger of her hind leg

I have a yearling foal who somehow made it over/through the fence while out on pasture (50+ acres). She severely cut up her left hind leg, right below the hock on the front side of the canon bone about 6 inches down. It is widest at the top maybe 3 inches and somwhat tapers down the leg. The bone was exposed but the extensor tendon does not seem to be damaged.
    I recently moved away and am unable to go see her myself. She is well cared for, and the vet was out immediately. He put a couple sutures in it but just to hold it a bit closer together (they will likely pull through in a couple days). She is on stall rest, excenel (antibiotics), and the area has been packed with honey and wrapped.
    I don't have much experience with Honey. I have heard it works great and I don't doubt that it can be very successful. Is there a specific type that should be used? Is it worse to use in the summer?? Is there any risk factors? Although she is in very good hands, I just want some reassurance that this is a good treatment plan, especially since I feel guilty about being far away.

I tried calling the vet who saw her, but they were closed before I had a chance to talk to them so I will call to discuss it in the morning.

Honey is very good for that sort of thing. I've used Manuka honey for my horse's wounds (bad puncture wounds and when the knee was torn up). It healed up the wounds, plus there was no proud flesh to deal with.

If you do a search on honey for healing there is a lot of information 'out there'.

One such site is: http://manukahoney.com/resources/research/index.html

"packed with honey?!?!?!"

never heard of it, or done it before.... is this ligit?

arent there BETTER meds out there than that?

I guess you will need to watch out for Winnie-The-Poo

Never used honey before, but I do recommend Dermagel and Vetricyn.

I don't have personal experience with honey, but have seen sugar do AMAZING things for bad wounds......

I had a horse do the same thing. We wrapped with Silver sulfadiazine for the first year then a mixture of Gentamicin Saline for the last 6 months. It healed up great. Took forever but healed fine! He removed the skin from his hock to his fetlock. When we found him it looked like his socks had fallen down.
    Anyway good luck and expect the wound to take months to heal!

Yes thankyou, that is what I'm expecting. I have heard of Silver Sulfasiazine as well and have used it in the past for smaller wounds.

I spoke to her veterinarian and he gave me a relatively good prognosis. Although he said there is a chance that there is joint involvement. I am obviously hoping that isn't the case. Basically if she is non weight bearing lame by the end of the weekend then we know if there is joint involvement. So far so good though.

I spoke to a friend that is a veterinarian too and she said she has used honey in the past (non pasteurized is the key) with good success, so I will stay on the current protocol and cross my fingers.

Thanks!

Another vote for Vetricyn. It worked better than anything I have used before. I wouldn't use it on a puncture because the outside may heal too quick and it will not drain. Ask me how I know, it was soo quick.