The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Tiny Kitten!

Last Saturday, a tiny little month-old kitten was dropped off in a box at night at the vet clinic where I work.

Today I took her home and she is absolutely adorable! After going back and forth on name ideas for a while, I've decided on "Rumble", since the purr engine starts going and going as soon as I walk into the room.

She is absolutely hilarious to play with! She does the whole halloween cat stance, puffs up, and hops sideways towards the toy. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow (and more pictures of course!)

But since I know you need pictures now, here is little Rummy in a box on the car ride home!
    http://i54.tinypic.com/tzhu8.jpg

I love tortiseshells! She is adorable.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

She's beautiful!

Can't wait to see more pictures and the video of the halloween cat pose.

*reaches for kitten*

Oooooo! She is ador-able!

Awww...what a cutie!
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Looooove new kittens!!!!! My newest one still does the Haloween cat stance and jumps 5 foot in the air if she sees something different, and she's almost a year old now. They are so much fun! The other cats look at her like she's nuts

She's adorable! What does Jack think about her?
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

What a little cutie! I have an 12 year old tortie, and I can tell you that torties often have very, ah, forceful personalities.
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Quote Originally Posted by tikihorse2 View Post
    What a little cutie! I have an 12 year old tortie, and I can tell you that torties often have very, ah, forceful personalities.
    Yes, this has been my experience as well.

I used to own a Tortie, I adopted her from a shelter when she was a kitten. They were going to put her down because she "wasn't friendly enough." She was just scared, sat in the back and hissed when people walked by. Took her one day to warm up, and she stayed with me until she passed away a few years ago when she was 18. Her name was Tita, and she was very opinionated.

Once, when I came back from vacation, I set my duffel bag on the floor, and Tita ran right up, jumped on my luggage, looked me straight in the eye, and peed all over it. Thankfully I'd set my raincoat on top of the pile, or it would have been a whole lot less funny.

OP, that's a darling kitty! I hope you have many wonderful years together!
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Too cute!!! Congrats and great name!

At our clinic, we keep seeing kittens that are newborns or maybe a week old. Luckily, only one was actually given to us to care for; he didn't last 24 hours. But, we've had clients bring in others. So far we are 0 for 8. (Technically 0 for 6; 2 were DOA ... still upsetting!) Glad to hear you're having better luck!
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

Oh you are in trouble. Have you ever had a tortie before? They are serious troublemakers with a tortitude.

My mom has 2. She swore after the first one she would never have another, but she caved in for the cutest kitten. Now there are daily high speed tortie wars all over the house. (just playing).

They are the weirdest cats. But very fun and entertaining as well. My mom's older one goes for daily walks on a leash.

Yeah, torties are ... different. They are full of opinions, and they will share them with you. Not a reticent cat.

Keep the photos coming and hopefully Rumble is thriving.

I miss tiny ones.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

This is a little behind schedule, but Rumble is doing great! She has so much energy and everything is play play play! I'm still working on teaching her not to bite me though, those tiny kitten teeth hurt!

She has went from 1.8 pounds to 3.4 and growing!

She is the sweetest thing though, constantly purring, and she even loves to lick like a dog.

http://i55.tinypic.com/90drnq.jpg
    Here she is waving at her fans!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ezjym8.jpg
    looking a little bashful!

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dv64o6.jpg
    and for once, getting along with the other kitty who usually wants nothing to do with her.

Ack! She is adorable - but I can see she definitely has "tortitude."
    "Cats aren't clean; they're covered with cat spit."
    - John S Nichols (1745-1846,writer/printer)

Don't come for me - I didn't send for you.

Oh, a tortie and a black - lovely!

*grabby hands*!!!

She's darling!! Everyone is right - the torties and calis have a 'tude like no other - very very loyal IME. I had a black and white torti, and now have an all-black torti, as well as 2 gray tabby and white tortis, and they all have/had a 'tude like the others did/do not.

She's absolutely adorable! *snuggles kitty* I love the picture of her waving.

Is she showing signs of tortitude yet? Evy, my tortie, did immediately. Came in and took over the house instantly, establishing dominance over two grown cats within a week.

If you ever need a new home for her...
    I loff my Quarter horse clique

I kill threads dead!

Besides being mouthy and trying to bite, no tortitude yet! I'm definitely hoping the biting will go away when she gets older.

She is surprisingly respectful of the older cats too. She loves to follow my black cat around, but doesn't normally attack her or get too obnoxious about it.
    I know other kittens we've had in the past constantly divebomb the other cats wanting to play!

She has been absolutely perfect about using her litter box too!

She has tons of energy though, I nicknamed her "Chock Full O'Nuts". I've devised a rating scale of kitten nuttiness, from a little nutty, to the nutty professor, to chock full o'nuts, to pure unadulterated almonds. Luckily she's not an almond!

Love, love, LOVE little Rumble! I, too, fell victim to a tortie while at the Humane Society. She's hilarious! Keeps me in stitches!