The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaff Foxhunter View Post
    Hi Problem! The link didn't work but I'll look them up. Thanks!
    I know! I just checked it yesterday. Bummer.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Leather has changed from the stuff Dehner could get their hands on decades ago. Thanks to modern farming practices, hormones, etc., the supply of the wears-like-iron leather from 40 years ago is gone.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Quote Originally Posted by intrepid View Post
    Corky, did you ever have any luck selling your boots?
    Never have gotten rid of them, these things are the plague for me! I just want them gone and can't get $150 in Canada for gorgeous, vintage brown boots in a 7.5R! ARG

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaff Foxhunter View Post
    An ex-Master of my acquaintance is now 93. His Dehner boots were 50 years old when we were still hunting together in the mid-to-late '80s. As far as I know, they're still in good shape. I guess the quality had slipped between the 1930s and the 1960s if yours are failing after only 44 years!
    Indeed! I am still wearing a pair of 'made in England for Abercrombie and Fitch' brown field boots that I got in the mid-1980s. I got them from a friend who found them in his grandmother's attic. Best we could tell, acquired within a few years of the end of WWI. Now, I'll admit, they are ready to blow any time now- last time I had them fixed, boot guy said 'no mas.' But my early 70s brown field boots (Loeb, finally successfully swiped from college roommate a few years ago) are going strong. My Dehner brown topped for whipping in boots (mid-80s acquisition) are just barely broken in!

Hinderella. Gasp. Never oil boots. But that is a whole 'nuther argument!
    Last edited by Beverley; Jul. 27, 2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: typo

OK, "oiled" for me is a sort of generic term, like Kleenex. I actually use Lexol leather conditioner
    But I will admit to using Tanner's oil on my Western saddle, and i've used mink oil on my everyday shoes. But I've never really known why we don't oil our tack...why?

Oiling (or whatever you want to call it) your tack is fine, indeed encouraged.

Boots- never. Clean w/ sponge and warm water, allow to dry, polish. As per my previous post- it's still working for a pair of 80+ year old boots (admittedly now close to the last use!).

Interesting...I actually do not do much conditioning of my everyday boots, but more out of sheer laziness than from any sort of plan When I leave the barn, I hose off the mud. I keep them upside down on boot stands, and when they're looking shabby, polish them.
    I do have Lexol leather wipes that come in a container, sort of like hand wipes, and every so often I use them on both boots and tack.
    I'm hoping to keep the brown Dehners going, at least long enough to take them out hunting once or twice. I suppose if the lining really falls part, they'll still be good enough for everyday riding, at least until they fail.

Really - put nothing on your boots except water to clean, and boot polish, and they will last far longer. Lexol, mink oil, saddle soap, neatsfoot oil, whatever...no no no!

Since I often see this thread rise to the top, I thought I'd post this link (NOT my boots and not a listing from anyone I know).

Ladies size 8 brown field boots, look to be in good shape -- maybe scuffed on the inside calf? (I have sasquatch-sized feet, so would never fit me anyway.) The listing isn't titled with "brown" so they may go unnoticed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ladi...item1c29edeb09
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Default Where to find treadstep Tuscany brown field boots?

I need a pair in 6 1/2 with the extra wide calf-can't find a store that can get them in this size (although the sizing chart shows they are manufactured in this size). I need them in the next 6 weeks to start cubbing season. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride2Fly View Post
    I need a pair in 6 1/2 with the extra wide calf-can't find a store that can get them in this size (although the sizing chart shows they are manufactured in this size). I need them in the next 6 weeks to start cubbing season. Any suggestions?
    We all covet brown field boots, but you don't actually need them. Just wait and watch until you find a pair (or save pennies to custom order a pair) and hunt in your dress or black field boots. They won't draw and quarter you, I promise

Default Still looking

Thanks for the replies -- looks like the ones on eBay start at size 7.5 and I'd be swimming in those. Corky, I love your attitude. You ar right that I won't be drawn and quartered but I would love to meet the tradition. So if anyone else has ideas I am still looking.

Ride2Fly, try here:

http://www.foxhunter.on.ca/tackshop.htm

They special ordered a brown pair for me last year. It took longer than 6 weeks, though. And, just FYI, the foot is pretty big. I could have gone down a while size. But, you can't beat the price!

Actually, mine are Treadstone, not Treadstep, though!

Default Thanks!

For the suggestions -am following Muffin's link -will keep you posted

Ahh, cordovan. I once lived in cordovan Dehner lace up paddock boots from Bevals. Like 3 pairs.

For anyone still looking for brown field boots, here's a great buy on some Dehners (not my listing):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dehner-Brown...item3a79a590b0

Is it possible to have too many pairs of black/brown/field/dress boots? Is it?????

I didn't THINK so! That is why I'm on eBay daily.

Quote Originally Posted by ManyDogs View Post
    Is it possible to have too many pairs of black/brown/field/dress boots? Is it?????

I didn't THINK so! That is why I'm on eBay daily.
    Absolutely not! A constant quest.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~