The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Brrrrrrown Field Boots! I found some!

For all of you that have pined over a pair of gorgeous BROWN boots, I finally found some (that aren't custom & didn't cost a fortune) after searching & searching!

I got a pair of "Oxford Brown Field Boots" from Dogwood Saddlery in London. http://www.dogwoodlondon.co.uk/ . They are made by HKM and I wasn't too sure what the quality would be like or if they'd even fit, but the price was certainly right and I decided to take a chance.

Well I'm sure glad I did! They are REALLY nice! Nice soft leather and they fit like a glove. Pretty dark chocolate brown color.

So if you've been hunting for a pair, hopefully this helps you out!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Thanks for the lead. How long did it take for them to arrive after you placed the order? Are they fully lined, cuff lined??

My size were out of stock so they had to be ordered in from Germany. They say they ship them out within 24 hrs if they have them in stock. I believe it only took a week or two to get my size from Germany to London and then it took them 5 days to get here from London to me. It was pretty quick actually! Shipping cost 39 GBP for DHL Global.
    I think they are fully lined and they have the full zip down the back.

JEALOUS!!!

I could use a new pair of field boots. Maybe I'll go brown!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Thanks for the lead! I can't really justify them now, but Christmas is coming, sooner or later...

These are really nice! I wore them around the house a bunch last night to start breaking them in and can't get over the nice leather, it's so soft.

Only issue is, they are pretty narrow in the foot, I'm hoping I can get the one toe stretched as it seems my left foot is bigger than my right. My poor baby toe is pretty sore today from being squashed in there! lol

Default what about these?

The description does state they are narrow in the foot, which means they would never fit me.

What about these? They come in wide widths.

http://www.stoobinternational.com/al...all_boots.html
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Lucky you, I love all shades of brown boots, its a shame they are so hard to find now. A friend found a pair of beautiful cordovan field boots on ebay for about $75 I think.

Wonderful to know that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
    I'm happy to hear such a positive review.
    Last edited by supaflyskye; Jul. 20, 2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    The description does state they are narrow in the foot, which means they would never fit me.

What about these? They come in wide widths.

http://www.stoobinternational.com/al...all_boots.html
    Oh those look nice too! I haven't seen that website. I pretty much bought the first pair of reasonably priced (see: Under $400) brown boots I could find. I've been searching for so long for some. If you order some, let us know how they are!

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Lucky you, I love all shades of brown boots, its a shame they are so hard to find now. A friend found a pair of beautiful cordovan field boots on ebay for about $75 I think.
    Isn't it a big shame? I just love the look of the brown. I can't wait to go to a show all decked out in brown boots, gloves & helmet with a nice tweed jacket!

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    Wonderful to hear that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
    When I originally asked them about sizing, I carefully measured my foot/leg and they told me the same thing. "No sorry, we don't carry your height/size combination, you'll have to order custom". So I thought to myself, well the price is right, so I'm going to wing it and hope they fit. I measure a 40 cm calf height (to the back of my knee) and their "short" measurement was 43 cm and my calf circumference is a 35 cm and the regular width was 37.5. So I thought they'd be a touch on the tall side (but would drop a bit) and probably have a bit of room at the top. Not so much! They literally fit like a glove.... so much so that I had to have help zipping the one boot up because it was snug, after wearing it for a few hours, it loosened up a bit and was easy to get on & off. And they're not too tall at all.

attention petite brown field boot lovers:

http://capecod.craigslist.org/clo/2447681616.html

Or not so petite:

http://york.craigslist.org/grd/2502002244.html

Too bad I'm a size 10!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Or you could go to:

www.horsecountrycarrot.com

and get the Waverly field boots that come in more of a tan than chocolate, but have multiple foot/calf/height combos, are fully lined and have a full zip. They hold up well and are GORGEOUS with most hacking jackets (which tend to use tan rather than brown in their weaves).

If you're worried about buying boots 'online' then call the store (800-882-4686) and the staff (which sells a boat load of these boots every year) can help you find the perfect pair.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by supaflyskye View Post
    Wonderful to know that you enjoy them! I actually placed an order for the same pair of boots earlier this year, but shortly thereafter cancelled it in favour of brown Petries, since HKM carried no calf width/height options entirely appropriate for my leg.
    I have Brown petries as well, they're really nice

As to the Horse Country boots - I'm sure they're very nice but most of us can not afford the price tag !

I was just reading the latest issue of Garden and Gun magazine, and what do I see?

A section on "Good Hunting Style" featuring GUCCI riding boots from their 1921 Collection. ".... A look influenced by the stroried fashion house's equestrian roots."

Yours for a low low price of $1250 .00.

I'll stick with my Dehner's. Those Gucci boots don't look as if they'd stand up to actual hunting.... Except maybe hunting for antiques in the Hamptons.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    A section on "Good Hunting Style" featuring GUCCI riding boots from their 1921 Collection. ".... A look influenced by the stroried fashion house's equestrian roots."

Yours for a low low price of $1250 .00.

I'll stick with my Dehner's. Those Gucci boots don't look as if they'd stand up to actual hunting.... Except maybe hunting for antiques in the Hamptons.
    Too funny!!! LOL But agreed, doubtful they'd last very long under tough riding conditions!

I lucked out on a pair of used Dehner's I bought off of Painted Wings. The gentleman who had them before me had the exact same size and shape foot and calf and they feel like slippers! Very pretty chestnut color (in my profile pic). They are well-loved and I hope they carry me through many more seasons!

I'm waiting on a pair of brown Treadstone Tuscanys to arrive... As soon as I get them, I'll let everyone know how they are! They estimated about three months to do the special order in brown, but hopefully they'll be worth the wait.

I was debating on the ones from Dogwood, but the height just wasn't high enough for me (when I was measured for my Vogels, the guy giggled at the length of my lower leg!). The Tuscany's came in a tall height of 20 inches for no extra cost, so even though they're shorter than customs, they are hopefully worth the $350 off the rack price.

Oh boy! You must be very tall! I had to order the "short" height and "regular" calf width combination. I'm 5'6" and figured I was pretty average. Their "tall" height would come halfway up might thigh I think!

Would love to see pics of your new boots when they arrive though!

That was essentially my problem as well, Muffin; I really needed the tall option(even then, they may have been a bit short after dropping), but they don't carry tall/standard, and the tall/narrow would have been slightly too narrow for me. While I may have been able to squeeze in, I didn't want to chance it.
    My Petries are 51cm and should fit me perfectly after they drop(I haven't had a chance to ride in them yet as I've been on vacation since shortly after they arrived).
    I've never considered myself to have terribly tall calves, really; it seems to be only European boots that I have to wear a "tall" in.