The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Class Action Settlement- Natura Brands (EVO/Innova, etc.)

Class members include all U.S. residents who purchased any Natura product between March 20, 2005, and July 8, 2011. These products include Innova, Evo, California Natural, Healthwise, Mother Nature and Karma dog and cat food. Members may be eligible for a payment of up to $200.

The lawsuit, filed in March 2009, alleges Natura's website and labeling contain "a large number of misleading and false statements relating primarily to assertions concerning the human-grade quality of its food." The plaintiff alleged that these statements included such claims as "We only use ingredients you'd eat yourself," "All of our human grade dog and cat foods are carefully cooked and tested..." and "Natura's products use only human grade ingredients."

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/n...ment-food.html

Whoa...interesting.

I have submitted my claim!

Interesting...I know that they should have me on file...since the Pet Food Store kept track of my information when I bought CN for the cats...but I haven't received anything.

Glad Nature's Variety has come out with a Turkey Limited diet for cats/dogs...finally a decent kibble without fish! So I was switching anyway. But I've probably bought 100s of dollars of CN cat food over the past 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Interesting...I know that they should have me on file...since the Pet Food Store kept track of my information when I bought CN for the cats...but I haven't received anything.

Glad Nature's Variety has come out with a Turkey Limited diet for cats/dogs...finally a decent kibble without fish! So I was switching anyway. But I've probably bought 100s of dollars of CN cat food over the past 8 years.
    I've been feeding various Natura Pet brands for ... 15? 20? years, and I did not receive anything from them, either. They have my contact info from the "free bag/case" program they used to have.

I've switched my dog to Pinnacle Peak (from EVO dry) and the cats to Before Grain 96% Chicken (from EVO 95% chicken/turkey cans) and have been horribly impressed with both feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I've been feeding various Natura Pet brands for ... 15? 20? years, and I did not receive anything from them, either. They have my contact info from the "free bag/case" program they used to have.

I've switched my dog to Pinnacle Peak (from EVO dry) and the cats to Before Grain 96% Chicken (from EVO 95% chicken/turkey cans) and have been horribly impressed with both feeds.
    How did you fill out the form....first thing I saw was "claim number"

BTW..try nature's variety...best on the market IMO.

How did you fill out the form....first thing I saw was "claim number"

BTW..try nature's variety...best on the market IMO.
    Scroll down to "New User (NOT contacted by mail)." It is directly below "New User (contacted by mail)" on this page: https://natura.action-settlement.com/

I did not like the tapioca in the Nature's Variety dry dog (it's the second ingredient! Wow!), or all of the non meat items in the cat cans (and their raw.)

I liked EVO. The only reason I switched was worries over the P&G purchase. I wanted something quite similar. The Nature's Variety product did not fit the bill.

Pinnacle Peak is nearly identical to the EVO I'd been feeding, and the BG Chicken cans does not contain the Peas, Carrots, Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, or Parsley that the NV has.

You're so lucky to be able to switch to something else Simkie! My allergic wonder cat is still on the EVO beef. I've only been feeding Innova/EVO since I found her this past October, so I'm sure if I file a claim I'll only get a few bucks at the most.

I am wondering how the claimant was able to determine the meat wasn't human-grade though.

Scroll down to "New User (NOT contacted by mail)." It is directly below "New User (contacted by mail)" on this page: https://natura.action-settlement.com/

I did not like the tapioca in the Nature's Variety dry dog (it's the second ingredient! Wow!), or all of the non meat items in the cat cans (and their raw.)

I liked EVO. The only reason I switched was worries over the P&G purchase. I wanted something quite similar. The Nature's Variety product did not fit the bill.

Pinnacle Peak is nearly identical to the EVO I'd been feeding, and the BG Chicken cans does not contain the Peas, Carrots, Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, or Parsley that the NV has.

Understood. I absolutely love the NV products...only kibble I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    You're so lucky to be able to switch to something else Simkie! My allergic wonder cat is still on the EVO beef. I've only been feeding Innova/EVO since I found her this past October, so I'm sure if I file a claim I'll only get a few bucks at the most.
    I'm not sure how they will determine payout--I gave them my first purchase date of this year...I wonder if I should have given them the farthest back purchase date I could confirm...hmmm :-/

And the BG people make beef! My kitties love the chicken, and I have had ZERO problems transitioning my allergy/IBD/sensitive/whateverthehellsheis cat over.

Also! For anyone who is looking for the large 13 oz cans: I have confirmed with the BG people that the dog version is 100% nutritionally complete for cats. The only difference between the cat version and the dog version is the addition of glycine in the cat cans. It is there as a flavor enhancer.

And the BG people make beef!
    I looked at it previously, but alas, they put egg in it. Dried egg is the 3rd ingredient. Chicken/egg and seafood cause definite problems with the little girl in the tiger stripe suit, along with laundry detergent/dryer sheets and who knows what else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
    I looked at it previously, but alas, they put egg in it. Dried egg is the 3rd ingredient. Chicken/egg and seafood cause definite problems with the little girl in the tiger stripe suit, along with laundry detergent/dryer sheets and who knows what else.
    Oh, damn! That is really too bad

I forget--are you interested in raw, maybe? I picked up a raw I'd never heard of at one of my local pet places, and I know it comes in beef. What I liked about it is that it's really just turkey meat (meat, organs, etc) and vitamins. It's about the same $$ as the EVO or the BG. I can't remember the name of it right now for the life of me, but I could tell you once I get home!

Oh, damn! That is really too bad

I forget--are you interested in raw, maybe? I picked up a raw I'd never heard of at one of my local pet places, and I know it comes in beef. What I liked about it is that it's really just turkey meat (meat, organs, etc) and vitamins. It's about the same $$ as the EVO or the BG. I can't remember the name of it right now for the life of me, but I could tell you once I get home!
    If you guys can get Blue Ridge Beef..it's very affordable.

Between 2-3.00 for 2lbs...chicken, turkey, beef, venison, tripe.

I buy it from my farrier's wife who has her own vet practice.

If you guys can get Blue Ridge Beef..it's very affordable.

Between 2-3.00 for 2lbs...chicken, turkey, beef, venison, tripe.

I buy it from my farrier's wife who has her own vet practice.
    I remember you mentioning this before, and there is not a distributor in my state

The raw I found locally is Nature's Menu. I'd never heard of it, but the lady at the pet store said they've carried it forever. It was $11 or so for 3 lbs, and here are the ingredients for the turkey formula:

TURKEY DIET
    This Grade A turkey product contains no growth hormones & no antibiotics within 90 days of slaughter. There are no dyes, fillers, or preservatives.

Ingredients: Turkey muscle meat, turkey heart, turkey liver. See the Vitamins & Minerals tab below for further details
    The cats have had it once and seem to like it! Cammie, if you'll do raw, it does come in beef with a similar ingredient list. It's packaged in 1/4 lbs pucks, which is supposed to be enough for one cat per day. It doesn't look like they have a CA retailer listed on their site, but they also don't have the store I'm buying it from, so if you are interested, perhaps it would be worth an email to them?

Simkie, thanks for the info on that Raw brand. I'll look around me to see if I can find it. I'm unsure on whether to try it or not. Kitty did have an allergy flare-up when I tried a different brand of straight beef, but of course I have no idea if that set her off or whether it was triggered by something else as she was staying at a friends house. I also only have a mini-fridge, with a crummy freezer compartment. I think it would stay frozen, but would have to make sure (and that it would fit!). I wonder how long that would last her, in 1/4lb rounds.....she gets one 3.5 oz can of EVO per day (and weighs right around 7 pounds).

I've looked at other frozen in the stores near me, and either its labeled for "dog/cat" and thus filled with peas/corn/sweet potatoes/etc., or its not straight beef.

She gets 5.5 oz per day, right? Not 3.5? I don't think they even make EVO in the tiny cans, and 5.5 oz per day would be about right for a cat that size?

The 1/4 lb puck is one day worth for a 7ish lb cat, and it appears to only be sold in 3 lbs packages (12 pucks.) Each puck is about 1" tall and exactly as big around as a soup can, or the large 13 oz cans of EVO. Stack 3 pucks and you are just short of that same can. I found the food to hold the puck shape when thawed, and I broke it down with a fork and added water to make a "stew" type consistency. The various bits were apparent.

They have a long essay on their vitamins and minerals--perhaps there is something here that could have (with your other raw option) or would (with this raw option) set off your cat?

It looks like they do online orders, if you'd like to take a flier on it: http://www.naturesmenu.com/site/493564/page/82511 Not sure how much they ding you for shipping!

This stuff might also be worth investigating, especially with your freezer situation? http://www.stellaandchewys.com/cat-driedbeef.php I have the chicken formula...my cats were excited about it the first time, and were not enthused on future feedings. But perhaps your meow would think it was nifty?

Wow, thanks for the info. Claim submitted!

I'm not sure how they will determine payout--I gave them my first purchase date of this year...I wonder if I should have given them the farthest back purchase date I could confirm...hmmm :-/
    I generally do not keep my feed store receipts, so I can only go back to February of this year. I've been feeding Natura products since 2006. I was able to rescue the last three receipts from the trunk of my car, because I have the tendency to toss the cases of cans and the receipt in on top of it. It appears my mother shredded every bit of paper she could find in my house when she last visited...!

I never qualified under their old loyalty program, either, because my cats simply did not eat enough for me to go through the 10 of the same item/year. I had just started the new loyalty program (the one you collect yourself.) Sigh.

I did find a really old Luna bar during this process. Maybe the $5 I'll get from the settlement will buy me a new one.

Most even premium pet food aren't using human-grade ingredients. They're just smart enough not to advertise it. This does seem like a pretty big blunder on Natura's part.

It has nothing to do with P&G though as Natura have been advertising for years.

If you want to feed human grade food then you should feed raw that you make yourself and buy from a reliable source--like a local place for instance. It's the only way to really be sure you're feeding human-grade meat if that is something that is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by redkat View Post
    I generally do not keep my feed store receipts, so I can only go back to February of this year. I've been feeding Natura products since 2006. I was able to rescue the last three receipts from the trunk of my car, because I have the tendency to toss the cases of cans and the receipt in on top of it. It appears my mother shredded every bit of paper she could find in my house when she last visited...!

I never qualified under their old loyalty program, either, because my cats simply did not eat enough for me to go through the 10 of the same item/year. I had just started the new loyalty program (the one you collect yourself.) Sigh.

I did find a really old Luna bar during this process. Maybe the $5 I'll get from the settlement will buy me a new one.
    Based on this: http://www.petproductssettlement.com...f-501a1c162628 I think payout will be determined by the courts and by how many people register, not by how long you have been feeding their products.

I LOVED Natura Pets products for many, many years, and have fed and recommended California Natural, Innova and EVO. I have no complaints re: "human grade ingredients"...but free money is free money. I DO have a problem with the P&G purchase, as I really do think that the EVO canned cat has changed in the last 3 or 4 months.

She gets 5.5 oz per day, right? Not 3.5? I don't think they even make EVO in the tiny cans, and 5.5 oz per day would be about right for a cat that size?
    Argh, yes- 5.5 oz per day. Although lately I've been buying the bigger 13.2 cans which makes 6 meals for her over two days. Its $1.19 vs. $1.59 for the two sizes. Makes much more sense for me to buy the bigger can and slice it up into rounds.

Stella's seems pretty expensive, but I don't see a feeding recommendation on their website to get an idea of how many meals in a bag. It's $23 for 12 oz on Amazon, which seems awfully expensive.

I'll have to see if I can find that brand of raw food, as the size may work. My freezer really is lousy, and of course isn't frost-free, so the space gets smaller and smaller until I finally get motivated to chip all of the ice off. And of course, I need to maintain room for ice-cream.

As for the rebate, I will send in a claim. Even a few dollars back will at least pay for a couple of meals for the cat!