The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Most rugged UV blocking turnout sheet??

I'm looking for a UV blocking fly sheet for my pink skinned white TB. He likes to roll and our ground is dry, HARK, black clay. Will any sheet stand up to rolling in this junk?? I've found about 4 different Weatherbetta ones, but don't know how to pick one. Thanks.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Baker. And unless you have the 100% humidity in July/Aug like we do here in TX, they can wear it in 100+ degree heat - my mare is actually cooler with it on when it's just hot....but hot and humid is just too much and she goes without for about a month and a half.

IME it was the old Rambo FlyBuster, but if that's even still made I have no idea if it's the same quality.

I've tried the Rider version - not as good; Kensington version - much too hot.

The Rambo was stiff, tented, and this meant more shade on the body and more airflow and yes my black horse with a white sheet on was always cooler than his un-sheeted bay and gray buddies.

Thanks. We've been sitting in the low 100's for over 6 weeks. Not very high humidity - but by now we're so overcooked, who can tell!! I don't have a bug problem and the horse has access to big shade trees, two large run-ins, one with fans, but the goof chooses to stay out in the unshaded pasture. He's used to being stabled at night when the other horses are in, but has a hissy if I stall him in the daytime - even with a friend. If I put the "friend" in a stall, he'll stay in the shed. Foolish horse!! He's the only one out of 26 horses who seems to sunburn.
    The sheets I've seen are kind of "soft" looking and I wonder if they wouldn't be really hot with our intense sun. So I should look for something stiff like a fly mask fabric??
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

look at sstack.com they have several styles of textilene fly sheets, stiff, sturdy, and tent off teh body. I just bought one for my new tb and he hasn't come in sweaty once yet (only had it two weeks tho).