The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Perchie-power, 3rd Training! Have I mentioned how much I love this little mare?

My little perch cross dragged me around our third training this past weekend and we had SO. MUCH. FUN.

She was a bit fussy for me on Friday and I wasn't riding nearly as well as I had at Midsouth, but her dressage score actually broke 40- 38.9 before my silly error- and we moved up two placings with our single rail in stadium. I was a little disappointed with myself for a minute, but XC made me love everything about this sport with all its ups and downs and otherwise.

I made a couple of rider-errors that taught me a thing or two and Miss Brandy just trooped around like it was her job. We came in a little less than 20 seconds under optimum time (and we thought time would be an issue for this horse beyond novice! HA!), recovered FABULOUSLY and I just couldn't be more thrilled. The weather was perfect, overcast, cool and greatgreatgreat footing. And huge kudos to Cathy W for an excellent course.

Here's our pics from the weekend:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=8fa6341beb

(THANKS XpressFoto!!)

She is just.too.cute, isn't she?! I just loff her.

YAY!! You guys look great!

She is adorable! I wouldn't guess she was so athletic, but she clearly has some springs!

Your horse is such a cutie! I love the picture of you going over that red coop thing, jumping toward the camera. Her knees are up by her eyeballs and you both look like you're having a blast! Very nice.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

PANTHERS RESIDE BELOW!!
    I love the pics! And your humor.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Wow, you guys look fantastic! You and Brandi make a fabulous pair.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Beautiful!! Yay Perch crosses!

Out of curiousity...do you think you'll try the move up to Prelim with her at some point? If so, what steps will you take to get there?

CONGRATS!!!!! T3D???????????? Prelim????????

You guy's rock!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    Beautiful!! Yay Perch crosses!

Out of curiousity...do you think you'll try the move up to Prelim with her at some point? If so, what steps will you take to get there?
    A prelim move up is in the works... basically, my trainer is going to make sure I'm an active participant ALL the time before she lets me move up. When I'm intimidated by something, I tend to stop riding and she's explained that over prelim size/width, I need to be "present" every step of the way.

Her fitness is not an issue, I'm lucky to have 650 rolling acres to condition over, and she has plenty of scope and heart and bravery. And she can gallop.

She's going to let me do a 3'6" jumper round this weekend and see how we do, we have schooling every weekend in Aug and then we're doing another hard T at the beginning of Sept. If everything goes well, we're looking at an easy P at the end of Sept and then I imagine she will have me do another hard T or two to make sure we can answer some more difficult questions at that height.

Eventcrazy- I'm debating the T3D at Hagyard, but I'm kind of on the fence about it... we'll have to chat about the pros/cons.

Yay Perch crosses! They are the bomb in my unbiased opinion

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Gorgeous! She's a beautiful jumper who seems to love her job. And your captions are great .
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

what a fantastic fun horse!!! you guys look awesome. congrats on a great weekend.
    i mirror the kudos for CW on her course designs. the last few she has done have all ridden great and gotten tons of positive feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    A prelim move up is in the works... basically, my trainer is going to make sure I'm an active participant ALL the time before she lets me move up. When I'm intimidated by something, I tend to stop riding and she's explained that over prelim size/width, I need to be "present" every step of the way.

Her fitness is not an issue, I'm lucky to have 650 rolling acres to condition over, and she has plenty of scope and heart and bravery. And she can gallop.

She's going to let me do a 3'6" jumper round this weekend and see how we do, we have schooling every weekend in Aug and then we're doing another hard T at the beginning of Sept. If everything goes well, we're looking at an easy P at the end of Sept and then I imagine she will have me do another hard T or two to make sure we can answer some more difficult questions at that height.

Eventcrazy- I'm debating the T3D at Hagyard, but I'm kind of on the fence about it... we'll have to chat about the pros/cons.
    Awesome!! P was sooo out of the question for my Perch-x...until he conquered his first T this past weekend with scope and time to spare. Now it doesn't seem quite so far fetched. Soooo... you go first and tell us all about it!

Congrats! You two look like a fabulous pair
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

A prelim move up is in the works...
    Wow, what's the hurry?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Wow, what's the hurry?
    If horse and rider are confident, fit, prepared, and working with a good trainer...why not?

I dunno, maybe "why?" is a safer way of framing the question than "why not?". There is a requirement of four NQRs before a moveup to Prelim still, right? That doesn't mean one HAS to move up after their fourth Training.

But I'm a big wussie, so of course it's all a matter of perspective.
    Click here before you buy.

She is cute cute cute cute cute! What a big, brave, beautiful mare!

I've been craving a tiny TB mare (hey, I'm only 5'2''!) to dress in pink and your photos just gave that craving an extra kick!

Thanks, all!

DW, I'm sorry to hear about Keebler! What a bummer! The P move up is ONLYONLYONLY if we prove we can do it, and then only because its easy. Basically, we talked about me doing a P/T this fall to see where we stood, and we talked about me doing it at Pine Top. Then we decided not to go to Pine Top and I was a little bummed... and then my trainer told me the P XC at Jumpstart was traditionally WAY easier than T XC at Pine Top... SO! That is why that came up as an option... but, if we're not 200% sure, I'll bring my other horse N at Jump Start and Brandy will school all winter and move up at MayDaze next spring. I'm not traditionally a "hurrier" but this mare and I have a bit of chemistry that makes me ride WAY better than ever and she has never blinked at anything we've thrown at her... so... ?? It just seems right, I guess!

What a good girl! Love the ditch shots, that's pretty much how we go over them too.

That's too bad about Pine Top... but if you're gonna take your time to do a Prelim move up anyways, you could always do the P/T at Pine Top in the spring, then shoot for MayDaze! Hopefully my boy and I will be there (potentially doing that same thing *knocks furiously on wood*). Or consider doing it at Poplar! They have all those schooling shows that make for fantastic practice.

Just some thoughts... good luck!