The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Northern California AA Championships dominated by ponies!

Big shout out for the ponies this weekend!!

Intro Champion and Reserve won by two German Riding ponies, Training and 1st level Champion was a New Forest Pony, Training Level Reserve and 4th place won by two German Riding Ponies!

Was this at Woodside?
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Woo!

Are you going to bring your Connemara out to the West Coast Connemara Show that will be in Santa Rosa the weekend of Aug 6th? Entries close Wed. There will be a rated open dressage show and a rated open jumper show as part of it as well.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Yes at Woodside.

I will be in Hawaii during the show, there is a small chance she will be there with Megan. Did you see the video of her at her first show? Love my pony!

We (the 2 pony owners) had fun! Our ponies got 8s on gaits from all 3 S judges, with super comments and the ponies had some of the highest scores of the show. They were SUPER ponies. So many people commented on how appropriate they were for us as well size wise.
    Ponies rock!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...20RAAC%202011/

Quote Originally Posted by honeylips View Post
    We (the 2 pony owners) had fun! Our ponies got 8s on gaits from all 3 S judges, with super comments and the ponies had some of the highest scores of the show. They were SUPER ponies. So many people commented on how appropriate they were for us as well size wise.
    Ponies rock!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x...20RAAC%202011/
    I didn't want to call you out by name unless you wanted me too, but yes, you and your ponies look so gorgeous. Big congratulations!

And I have to say at the schooling show I went to I also got so many nice comments from people, and my DH said he overheard many nice comments from the railbirds, about how nice it is to see ponies out there.

IMO they are the dressage worlds best kept secret.

That's awesome!

I really hate the "I must have a bigger horse!" desire so many people have. Sure, for the folks I know over 6' you need a horse with a barrel big enough to take up your leg decently. But really, I think it's insane people think anything under 16hh is short. I would totally get a pony if I were looking and I found a pony who was the right match!

Congrats on the great show honeylips!

(But my horse... is... umm... 16.3hh. And ridiculously tall. But small-barrelled, so it's ok.)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Very cool ponies!
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

There were 4 very cute ponies with kids aboard yesterday at Fieldstone Farm. Go ponies!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

And let me add, as someone who was there AND was a participant, that the ponies were BRILLIANT! (Unlike my 16.2 "darling" who acted like an idiot the entire day!) Oh well, at least we completed the test, didn't jump out of the arena and didn't explode in the arena during the RAAC test, though he managed a minor explosion in a later test. Sigh. I don't know if my budget can encompass enough shows to get him "over" his sillies!! But the pale blue ribbon IS pretty.......Sigh.

But again, Congratulations to the Pony People!!!

PONY POWER - I LOVE TO HEAR THIS NEWS.

Proud owner of the Westfalen GRP pony stallion POPEYE standing at Hilltop Farm in MD.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I just returned from the Region 7 USDF and CDS Championships with one of my ponies.
    My 4yo pony Outrageous - was CDS 4yo AA Futurity Champion and CDS Training Level Amateur Horse of the Year Reserve Champion.
    Yep =- he was competing against the "full sized" horses!

Congratulations on all of your pony wins.

But I hope this doesn;t mean a whole bunch of beginner riders are going to go out and buy ponies.

I meant that in the kindest way.

I don't think that matters much - but for the record I am an FEI rider and have my Silver Medal. One of my ponies is totally ammy/beginner safe, the other is a more challenging ride and needs an experienced rider. Both have loads of talent!

My apology. I had no intention of offending anyone, per se.

It just made me think of the "Ponies Are The New WBs" thread. I suppose my concern lies in any breeds that might become the new fad.

First of all, congratulations on your most recent and very impressive accomplishments, honeylips.

I'm not trying to speak for Baroque Pony but I doubt seriously that she was not aware of your prior accomplishments nor questioning your ability to ride.

I too would hate to see mismatches between rider and mount, especially among ponies. Just because it is a pony or small horse does not automatically make it "easier" which is a misconception I run into a lot when people want to "downsize" and call me to see what I have or to help find them something. Pony breeds and small horse breeds come in lots of wrappers. Price does not guarantee that they will be easier to ride. And just because they may not be easier to ride does not equate to a less than stellar pony either, just one that needs a more educated (and capable) seat. While you are obviously aware of this, unfortunately, I find that not everyone drawn to the smaller mounts is as experienced or as astute as you.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

YAY for PONIES! We just returned from Sport Horse Nationals and the pony I was riding in Training Level won 3rd in a field of over 50 riders, and was the only pony there! Love hearing about dressage ponies!!!!

YAY for PONIES! We just returned from Sport Horse Nationals and the pony I was riding in Training Level won 3rd in a field of over 50 riders,

Congratulations, that's quite a huge field of competitors. Was this the Welsh x Arab cross?
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

I don't think that matters much

This has definitely turned a bit weird. At least from what I have seen and experienced with my own pony, they certainly have their challenges (just like any equine) but they DO tend to be a lot more ammy friendly if the right mount is chosen. There are several ammy riders at my barn who are not advanced or highly educated dressage riders that are much farther along than most ammy horse riders. They are on Halflingers, Welsh Cobs and GRP to name a few. They are some of the happiest and most successful riders on the property.

My 4 year old Connemara is more fun than should be legal. Everything about her is a joy. I DO think more ammies, both beginners and experienced riders, should consider ponies.