The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle question....help me find the right saddle?

Hi gang. Sorry to bore you to death but I have a saddle question (sorry!!). I am looking for a saddle that I can keep for long term useage on my horse(s). Info about me: 5'1". <110 lbs, so I'm pretty small LOL. I'm looking for a saddle for a TB mare that I can use in jumpers and foxhunting and maybe some events in the future. I want something that is secure with somewhat forward flaps. Must have knee rolls. My size is 16-16.5". Monoflaps would be fine (I can borrow my trainer's saddle if I ever show in an eq or hunter division-even though she is more of a jumper type). Must be functional for fences up to 3'3" and possibly 3'6". Must be under $1000 used or new. What kinds of saddles fit this description? Would like something on the nicer side if that helps at all. Thanks for the input/suggestions!

also forgot to add...not sure what size horse is...prob a meduim/narrowish tree

I had an older PJ that fit this description. Since it was older, (1993 I think), and had a narrow tree I ended up selling it for just under $1000. It was a great jumping saddle but too small for me. Look around the web for an older PJ/Delgrange saddle. Be aware that an older 17" PJ fits like a 16.5" seat. Good luck!

great-thanks so much! any more suggestions?

Beval Stamford. I'm 5'1'' and 108 lbs, ride a wide variety of horses and show in the 3'9'' jumpers...and I love this saddle. Fits my leg much better than anything else I tried. It only comes in full sizes, I have a sixteen. It might be a smidgen too tight for me, about three fingers behind my butt in the seat instead of four but I also have a little bit of a booty for how tiny I am

I would figure out the brands that would be the best fit for your horse, and then add in your requirements, and THEN go from there. Just because she's a thoroughbred, doesn't means she's narrow! Start learning the basics of saddle fit, or send in tracings to a tack shop with saddle fitters (like Trumbull Mountain, or Pelham Saddlery.) Trust me, you REALLY don't want a saddle that doesn't fit!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I think you'd need to ride in a PJ first. The flaps feel very forward to me. If you have the length femur they think you should for the seat size, you'll be good. Otherwise, your knee will feel behind the "pocket" built for it and you won't get the benefits from this saddle that it was designed to give.

All things being equal, I'd by a 16.5" with a straighter flap before I bought a 16" to get the flap to fit me. That's because you'll get a slightly larger surface area for your horse's back from the same saddle that makes you happy.

But you must start with the fit for your mare. If you can try on lots of friends' saddles in order to get a sense of what fits her, you can spend less time and money shopping.

Best of luck on your saddle hunt!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

thanks a lot! I'll keep up my search vigorously! Would these saddles be suitable for cross overs into eventing/fox hunting, or would they be too flat, per say? Lower levels, of course. If I were to event, big IF, at the higher levels I would obviously buy a saddle with a deeper seat and more forward flaps!

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

All things being equal, I'd by a 16.5" with a straighter flap before I bought a 16" to get the flap to fit me. That's because you'll get a slightly larger surface area for your horse's back from the same saddle that makes you happy.
    Heads up, the Beval Stamford has a very straight flap. Thats why it fit my leg so much better (in addition to being shorter.) I totally understand where MVP is coming from. I was going for my fit and not my horse's because I don't ride one particular horse. Good luck!

Oops... Wrong thread!!!
    Last edited by WinsomeTK; Oct. 7, 2013 at 08:11 PM.

We have some small jump saddles that are in your price range. Many TB's need a little extra support in the front third of the panels to help balance the saddle. Too many people fit narrow to clear the wither at the horse's expense. If you can't find that panel configuration, (feel free to email or message me for further clarification), then use a correction pad that allows you to shim the front to support the saddle. Too narrow a saddle pinches the withers and sometimes causes other issues in performance and can damage the horse.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672