The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Moving to Long Island!

I just found out that I'll be moving from Maine to Long Island in September, and I will be bringing two horses with me. I'll be working in Westbury but living and looking to board in Suffolk County. I was hoping to get some advice/recommendations from the NY COTH crowd on where to ride/board/vet/farrier and so on. Lots to think about when moving to a whole new horse community!

It would probably be helpful to tell you a bit about me and the critters... I have a 3 year old anglo-trakehner filly and a 10 year old quarter horse gelding (technically my boyfriend's horse ). My first love is eventing, but I've mostly ridden with dressage and hunter/jumper trainers and am happy doing both. I'd like to start competing the filly next year, so far she shows great promise for any of those disciplines and I'm looking forward to seeing how she progresses... My boyfriend is mostly into trail and pleasure riding. Both horses are easy keepers, great to work around and level headed (yes, even the "3 year old" "trakehner" "filly", I swear!).

I'd also like to know about what to expect for average costs of board, farrier service (one is barefoot, one has four shoes), and so on. I know board can vary but the only places I can find with prices listed online are $750 and over. Are there places that board for less or should I be prepared to pay at least that? I don't need a training facility, I am willing and able to trailer for schooling/lessons/shows.

This seems really broad and basic, and I suppose it is. I've been scouring the internet but I figure the best sources are the people who live it every day. Sorry if it seems vague but I'll happily answer questions and any input will be appreciated. I'm really excited about this move, I think there is so much opportunity down there with the horses and I'm very thankful to any of you who can help me out .

Alas, I can't help with the trainer/barn stuff, but I would HIGHLY recommend that wherever you wind up in Suffolk County, it's near Connetquot River State Park & Preserve.

I rode in that park for 5 years when I sharedboarded on first a QH mare and then a Hanoverian. Awesome trail riding... 50+ miles of sand paths, very well groomed, lotsa wildlife, water, trees, etc.

Yearly pass is still only $25.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Have you visited www.liequine.com and www.lidcta.com?

Gosh, the culture shock alone would just knock me over. I started out in Fairfield county and every move has been farther north and east. Now I'm in Maine, and have no plans to head back to where I started.

That state park sounds pretty cool, though.

Yes, but Chocomare - it ain't what it used to be! So much of Long Island has been developed, as is true for many many other places!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I have been to the lidcta site, and am planning to join. I'll check out the other site as well, thanks!

I'm sure it'll be a culture shock but I'm not going in unawares . I've been down there several times and my boyfriend is from there. We are both moving down for work and I'm really pretty excited about it. I've looked into that park and it seems like it's still a really nice place to trail ride...we shall see!

Thanks for the input!

I haven't been to this place in ages, so I can't speak for the current state of affairs there. I know of it because it's close to my parent's home, and the man who manages it used to sell us hay for our private stable. It has trail access to the Muttontown Preserve, but no trainers / program as far as I know. It's close to Westbury, so you could ride after work

BILL FINETTA
    516-364-2670

1912B Route 106, Syosset, NY 11791

<it ain't what it used to be! So much of Long Island has been developed, as is true for many many other places!>

Former Californian living back on Long Island again, for now. I can't wait to get out of here and go North (planning on it, next few years). It Was great horse country when we were young. Now, stores & stores & big deal - some beaches (so you can "sit" in the hot and ruin your skin - fascinating). I hate what Long Island has become.

sorry

You might want to check out North Shore Equestrian Center. They are located on CW Post College campus. I boarded there, this is scary, 30 years ago. They have a website. It was really nice riding through the college campus, I don't know if you still can. Good luck with your move

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I've been surfing away and am finding some really good prospects. September will be here before I know it...

I should clarify: I recommended looking into the place on 106 in Syosest because I think it will be relatively CHEAP, and you said you didn't need a program. N Shore Equestrian Center, Hunter's Moon, et al, will probably run you $3k a month. GOOD LUCK

And Sonoma County -- I totally agree with you I grew up in LI horse country! Now old horse farms are tacky McMansions. Makes me so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMO View Post
    I should clarify: I recommended looking into the place on 106 in Syosest because I think it will be relatively CHEAP, and you said you didn't need a program. N Shore Equestrian Center, Hunter's Moon, et al, will probably run you $3k a month. GOOD LUCK

And Sonoma County -- I totally agree with you I grew up in LI horse country! Now old horse farms are tacky McMansions. Makes me so sad.
    Wow, North Shore Equestrian Center was I think about $400.00 per month back in the 80's. The good old days when Dad paid the bill They didn't have an indoor back then.

JAMO-You are correct, I am looking to keep the cost of board down and don't need to be boarded at a facility with an extensive training program. Your recommendation is a great lead.

I'll be looking into places to take lessons and go for schooling as well though, so it's great to hear about the bigger facilities also. I have always subscribed to the have trailer/will travel method .

I boarded at Brookville Farms (in Glen Head) recently while I was on LI and the care was great - 2 large outdoor rings, access to trails, reasonable hours, individual all day turn out, supplements/blankets/flymasks on off included in board etc. No indoor, but it was fine.

You are going to have to pay over $750/mo for anything decent IMO. Around $1000/mo should get you a good place - $3000/mo would be more like a place that would tack up for you when you were coming out.

I know most of the DVMs in the area, and would definitely recommend Dr. Juul-Nielsen and his associates.....have a couple of good farriers too.

Good luck with the move - it's a hard place to live (and $$$ to have horses), but there are good things about it for sure!

What about Thomas' in Melville? Still good? (I worked there as a lowly stable hand in the 80s)
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    What about Thomas' in Melville? Still good? (I worked there as a lowly stable hand in the 80s)
    I remember showing there in the late 70's early 80's

Unless you want a backyard barn (about $600+ a month), I think you are going to have to increase your budget, closer to $900-$1,000 is more realistic. North Shore Equestrian at CW Post College is about $1,500 I think, there is Jimmy Rice at Red Barn on 106, great care, smallish indoor I think they are about $1,200 - $1,500, can't remember.

If you're an eventer and want lots of property, there is Lloyd Harbor Equestrian Center at Caumsett State Historic Park, board is $900+, but the park is 1,500 acres of woods, trails, open fields, and you can even ride down to the LI Sound. I have friends who are serious eventers and they go to Caumsett to do their gallops. You can trailer in and pay the park fee to ride on the grounds, or board at LHEC and have the use of their indoor, jumping ring, outside course, dressage ring, etc.

PM me for more info if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Yup, TSH is still there, I can't remember what board is though, at least $900-$1,000 I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by animaldoc View Post
    I know most of the DVMs in the area, and would definitely recommend Dr. Juul-Nielsen and his associates.....have a couple of good farriers too.
    I would recommend Carl Nielsen as well.

When I boarded in Bohemia, the two private home/barn owners were members of the Islip Horseman's Association: http://isliphorsemensassociation.com/

Perhaps an email to the club might be beneficial to finding a private home/barn that has an opening?