The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I WILL NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COLD THIS WINTER IN MD OR IN AIKEN....REPEAT OVER AND OVER!
    ahh, screw that! I am trying not to whine too much (I just hide in the AC or go have lunch with friends instead)...specifically so I CAN whine incessantly about the cold. This is my MO. I really could care less about the heat...I can ALWAYS get cool. I HATE THE WINTER WITH A PASSION, I spend pretty much November through April freezing, and never feel warm. So, I save my biggest (or all) my whining for then.

I meant to get up early this morning to try and ride...but stayed up too late and forgot an alarm...slept til 8. Oops. And I had to get a little tough with some people interested in Vernon who wanted to come ride him late this morning and say NO.

We ran 56 teams at PC Champs from Prelim thru BN. WE had big tubs of ice water at the start. We warmed up then cooled the horses down somewhat. The riders are handed water by just about everybody they walk past! There is cold water in the warm up and start box. I think there was one horse in distress, and he was older and had another issue.
    So I think it all went pretty well. But still, took a lot of the fun out of the experience, but What cha gonna do?

It cooled off quite a bit this morning and I went on a trail ride! We got a little bit of rain! Sadly these two things happened at the same time and now I have to clean my tack, but I AM NOT COMPLAINING BECAUSE IT IS ONLY 85 OUT, YAY!

OK - they're now predicting temps over 100, partly cloudy, with a 30 % chance of rain, which translates into hot, sticky, unbearable.

I'm calling "uncle" and throwing in the towel. I can't bear the thought of course walking today in this sauna, and there is very little shade at the Horse Park trailer parking area, so it's a no-go for me. Good luck to everybody competing this weekend and thank you to the organizers/volunteers/judges for sticking it out!
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I'll be at CHP tomorrow. Bringing lots of ice and drinks and wet towels and my generator so I can run the AC in the horse trailer. Wondering how well it would work to open the door between the horse compartment and the LQ and let the horses catch some AC too....

Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    Just wondering at what temperature you think it's too hot for your horse and yourself to compete at an event.
    When I know my horse will not enjoy any part of the ride. When I know *I* will not enjoy the ride, and also will be dragging myself miserably through all the horse care and other stuff, due to heat.

For day trailering, when I know that if my horse were in the pasture he'd seek shade, but I won't be able to keep him in the shade most of the time he isn't actually working. (He's a sun lover who does not always pick the shade.) So yep, that rules out some places where there isn't shade for day trailers, when on the same day I would go to other places that there is shade. Nothing against those without shade - it's just my personal preference when the heat is more intense.

When I am asking myself "is it too hot to do this?" If that thought crops up, probably it is.

My horse is hardy and I'm fairly acclimated, if we're both fit for it. But there are times when there isn't any point, in my mind. For me it's not a test to see what the two of us can withstand, but what we can both do & enjoy in competition.

Wherever you go - do have a pleasant day!

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Had an ok day today at Gemwood. Had a rider meeting with the officials at noon to give out some "dealing with the heat" info for riders and horses. Everyone seemed to do ok. Riders also opted to help out to cover fence judging in the morning so we could get started an hour earlier.

I did think of this earlier and tried to post but still can't "reply" on my phone. It could be worse -- at least we love horses and not airplanes. The Dayton Air Show is going on this weekend so instead of sweltering in the sauna and watching horses, we could be even worse -- crowded with a few thousand others on blacktop tarmac watching airplanes (and waiting in LONG lines for portapotties and overpriced water). Yay for horses (grass and trees too!)
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I WILL NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COLD THIS WINTER IN MD OR IN AIKEN....REPEAT OVER AND OVER!
    The heat index in Aiken Friday was 115 and I rode at 11:30 - 12:30...because of the breeze, it was bearable until I stopped and then I thought I would pass out. NO MORE!!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

We are headed to KY tomorrow with 9 horses for NAJYRC. Hopefully mother nature will take pity on us. The kids have been at training camp in Southern Pines all week and did a great job of keeping the ponies comfy and themselves cool. They staff at Young Riders is awesome and will do everything in their power to keep everyone safe. GO AREA II !!
    Gwen Dean
    Area II YR Coordinator
    Lost Hounds HT Secretary

I heard an interesting note from the TD today while jump judging at Olney HT. She said if 10 people have to be seen by the medics for heat issues, they can shut down the event. I don't know if this is common knowledge, but thought it was interesting none the less.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I did Full Gallops schooling CT today, and was really worried about the heat right up to this morning. We've been riding in these temps though 5x/week, so I think we've acclimated. I just decided to listen to my horse and not push him. I kept things very light yesterday, kept him inside during the day, made sure his food was extra soupy this am, and had a bucket with water/ice/alcohol ready to go to sponge him off if he got too hot today. For myself, I got plenty of sleep, ate a nutritious but light breakfast, and stayed hydrated. There was a breeze in Aiken which made all the difference, and I'm so glad I went. My ride time was at noon (hahahaha! Of course!), but we put in a decent round followed by a fantastic round. It was a great "first time out" for the two of us... Mission Accomplished!!!

Anyway, I think there are often just too many variables to put down any hard and fast rules about riding. It was technically "cooler" a few days ago, but there was no breeze. I found today to be so much nicer, even though hotter, because of the great breeze.
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

Well, I went ahead and braved the heat this weekend to go to Gemwood. So I guess we can take the heat.

Gemwood did a great job of meeting with the riders and giving them tips about monitoring our horses and ways to cool them out effectively. We also REALLY appreciated them moving up the x-c times today. Thank you to Gemwood organizers/volunteers/officials! Well done.

Saturday (dressage and SJ) was pretty stinkin' hot. But we survived. It was actually a little more bearable today. A bit cooler with a decent breeze. I was moving my young horse up to novice and I planned to just go slow and not try to make time. She cantered around easily under time. We had ice water to sponge and scrape her off immediately and she recovered fine. But she is fit and not a heavy type horse--I probably would've made a different decision if I had an older horse, a less fit horse, or was running at a higher level. But everyone seemed to do just fine today. For myself, I had a water bottle in my hand all weekend and drank constantly. Hope everyone else who decided to compete had a safe and successful weekend.

Our GMO cancelled all the schooling shows this past weekend due to the heat ... and this is dressage! I was planning on riding my two early rides (810 and 830) and scratching my young horse (11:02 and 12:20).

My rule of thumb is if they're standing in the field drenched in sweat I don't ride - but they are dressage poodles, most of them are from Canada and so am I, so all of us don't handle heat well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    ...dressage poodles...
    BAHAHAHAHA! This made my day! I know a few "dressage poodles", and I'm totally going to steal that moniker!
    My boy, "Mr. Nice Guy"

Ask me about Final Furlong, Inc. - promoting "Responsible retirement for thoroughbred racehorses through the racing industry".

We scratched from a clinic over the weekend. Drove 3 1/2 hours only to find the ground rock hard, unlike our rain soaked soil at home. Very difficult to do, but since both days were out on XC we felt it was best. Great clinician, he understood, it was also hot and humid, mid -90's but it was the ground hardness that made our decision. It's tough, the other riders kind of look at you like, "Why aren't you riding?" And a bit awkward, but you have to do what you have to do.
    Last edited by riderboy; Jul. 25, 2011 at 09:34 AM.