The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Dunno about Maryland, but here in ohio the weather can change over the course of several days - despite what's been predicted. Thankfully, they keep changing this weekend (Gemwood) in a favorable manner -- dropping the temps which are now forecasted in the high 80s instead of mid-90s. I've been watching the 10 day forecast for a while now and Tuesday has gone from 81 to 86 and back about 3 times so far.

Good luck if you opt to go.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I am going to also add that one event that worried me most, it was only high 70's/low 80's, but a storm had rolled through the night before and the humidity was about 85%, plus the ground was soaked.

I ended up showing because it was early morning (I was done by about 11am), but I sponged her repeatedly after cross country and got home ASAP. She had sweated as much as she does in 90 degree weather due to the high humidity and since she does not drink at shows, she is not replenishing herself.

The show was about a half hour trailer ride from my house, so we were home by about noon. I went back for my ribbon.

In general, I worry more about the ground than the temps. I have a big guy that's part draft, but when fit he can handle the heat ok (although humidity seems to affect him a lot more than temps). But, he is BIG (17.2 and part draft) so I think the hard ground can really affect him, especially with some of his previous issues/injuries.

But, this summer, I am not only looking at the day of the show but the days leading up to it and what we could do/not do just before. I opted for several reasons not to enter this weekend, and am glad I made that decision because right now I can't get out early enough to ride and will not do that to either of us when the heat index is ~110!! Riding in heat to be acclimated is one thing- riding out in super extremes like today and tomorrow around here is another IMO.

Generally, we're not trailering too far to get anywhere (gotta love this part of Area II!! ), but distance can be a factor as well for me. I wouldn't want him in a hot trailer for a long period of time, and if it's really hot I would prefer to walk my course on a different day as that can really take a toll on me in the heat. So if an event isn't close enough for me to do that, I take that into account as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I am not sure how the Pony Club kids are doing it this week, it's just insane.
    Can't speak for the eventers but in polocrosse we shifted our start time and had about 45 bags of ice delivered to the water tanks to provide cold water for cool outs. Had fans available, made ourselves obnoxious about kids drinking and were done and back to the barns starting around noon.

And our horses work a lot harder than the eventers do.

pegasusmom, totally and completely unrelated, but I just read your blog and I love it! And I want to go geocaching!

OK. Back to your regularly scheduled whine fest regarding the heatwave (which I am thoroughly partaking in, as well).

To remain on topic...I would rather take a bullet than compete this weekend (I had actually been pondering a jumper show until I heard the forecast). I wimped out at 10 this morning...Really, I wimped out a little after 8, when Vernon and I made about 2.5 laps of the outdoor, looked at each other, and wandered off into the woods. I kept what little resolve I had for Toby, took advantage of Stella the dog's complete lack of interest of leaving her "den" under the desk in the tack room, and wandered in the woods on Toby for a little while (Stella is not Toby's favorite person to hack with). I then beat my head against the wall for a few hours while dealing with my attempts in selling Vernon, then Stella and I cranked the AC in the car and came home, where we've been hiding ever since.

I love summer, but this is too much for even me.

I usually go by humidity and air quality. It could be 100 degrees out, but if there is a nice breeze, it makes all the difference. However, I don't ride at all when the air quality is bad. I don't mind if it is hot, but if it is humid and hot.....forget it.
    Needs to invest in a sign that says 'Gone Riding' so people won't wonder why I am never home.

Default i rode...last night

ok...so it was wicked hot but at 730pm last night it was bearable. there was a light breeze and we just walked around the farm and across the fields....he did choose to trot and canter away from the deer flies when we got too close to the woods. but it was actually lovely. and he only was wet on the saddle and girth. tonight may be another story....no riding. i hear it will be hotter at 730 then in mid of day. i think i will just go love on my three ottb's

Yeah, I rode at 8 this morning and just walked for a half hour or so. I think we will go for a swim tomorrow-- I hate riding bareback in the summer because when my horse is fit he's like sitting on a board, but this thing where it doesn't cool off even at night is just killing me.

can I whine about walking and measuring all 3 courses today.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    Can't speak for the eventers but in polocrosse we shifted our start time and had about 45 bags of ice delivered to the water tanks to provide cold water for cool outs. Had fans available, made ourselves obnoxious about kids drinking and were done and back to the barns starting around noon.

And our horses work a lot harder than the eventers do.
    I am worried for the kids and horses in Kentucky but I am glad to hear that the parentals/adults are stepping in to make sure everyone is appropriately cooled out and coping with the heat.

I am actually a little more worried about the festival part of the week, because with all the kids scattered into different clinics all over the place, I feel like there might be slightly less oversight/it'll be a little harder to corral everyone together and make sure they're doing what they need to do.

We need some relief from this HEAT!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I didn't feel like getting up this AM to ride when it was already 85 and humid at 6am, so the horses get a day off today! Had to put an extra fan on my black OTTB yesterday though. He was sweating in the stall.
    Lindsay

Check out my blog at http://lindsayberreth.com

I rode today at about 11 and it was around 97 here, with 68% humidity - hot, hot, hot. Luckily, i was under two fans in the indoor with a breeze, but wouldn't you know it - Oliver chose today to be a booger and refuse to stay between my aids, so we ended up tussling it out for much longer than expected/planned. He got a bath - I am taking a nap.

Called the Horse Park and the course isn't open for walking until 3pm tomorrow - when it's supposed to hit 100 degrees. They, of course, close the office down at 5pm, so we're supposed to walk the course in the hottest part of the day? I feel a headache coming on....

Not really any point to this post except that I need some sympathy - I already scratched from a show earlier this summer and don't want to have to scratch again, so we're playing it by ear Sunday...
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

the course isn't open for walking until 3pm tomorrow
    As per USEA rules . . .
    Click here before you buy.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by eventer_mi View Post
    isn't open for walking until 3pm tomorrow - when it's supposed to hit 100 degrees. They, of course, close the office down at 5pm, so we're supposed to walk the course in the hottest part of the day? I feel a headache coming on....
    As already mentioned, the 3pm opening is per the rules. Granted it COULD be open earlier if the organizer is ready, but honestly... they've probably been busting their @sses all week in the heat and you want them to be done earlier??

As for the closing at 5pm.... a bit earlier by typical standards, but again, see the note above about how much work they've been doing. Be regardless of them closing the office at 5pm... or 4pm ... or 10pm, it doesn't mean you have to walk the course in the hottest part of the day. Pick up your packet and chill til it gets cooler. If there's a reason you have to walk it before 5pm, that's certainly not the horse trials' fault, is it?
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    As per USEA rules . . .
    and the poor folks like scubed who are out there today flagging, measuring, dragging, staking, etc etc etc -- when we run HTs, the whole farm and officials are working all week really, really hard, and when the weather stinks, they don't have the option to just "scratch."

Work gets done by 3 pm Friday for walking. No matter the weather.

Sorry, just spent too many hours helping out in the pouring rain and the baking sun -- and as a volunteer I can go home, not so the folks in charge. Getting a venue competition-ready is an enormous amount of work.

Why do you need the office to be open to walk the course, anyway? I often come out in the near dusk when it's hot...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

OK, I just got slapped virtually by three prominent members of this board - that's gotta to be a first!

You are all right - I DON'T need the office open to walk it. I wasn't thinking - read the above about schooling the booger in the 97 degree heat. I am going to go at 5 and pick up my packet, and then walk the course when it's hopefully cooler out. I just thought that since it was unrecognized, there wasn't much to do with moving the jumps around from the last show there.

I really wasn't b!tching about the organizers, honest - just hot and cranky and dreading the thought of walking the course in 100 degree heat. Nothing anybody can do to help except let me whine a little. Sorry! I do appreciate everybody doing everything they can to make this show run. Next time I try and type anything out on COTH, I will make sure that I am not dehydrated with a massive headache first. Apologies?
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

You are no more "bitching" than we were "slapping". I think everyone is just very sensitive today. I just got another big pile of stuff to do before I go home so my cranky level is slowly building . . .
    Click here before you buy.

I think I would seriously consider scratching at 90-95. I rode my last event at 90 and I felt really sick after show jumping. It probably didn't help that dressage ran late and I barely had enough time to swap tack before hopping back on so I didn't drink enough water or eat anything!

Fitch's started today and I can't believe people are riding. It's the area champs so I think people feel obligated to ride but it's not worth it to me I guess. In Area 1 we are not used to 100!

I agree that eventing's supposed to be fun and riding in this weather sounds absolutely miserable.

eventer-mi, it's a deal. You weren't really bitching, and we didn't really mean to slap

It is over 100 here today. I went out to ride a little later than I meant to, and got so grumpy and gross that I got off, hosed off both horse and myself, and left in a thoroughly bad mood.

I can't imagine walking a course now, and it's after 7 pm.

Blech!

Here's to an end to the heat wave, some much-needed rain, and a nice good gallop next week! That'll fix us all up...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Default hats off

hats off to those who are organizing/volunteering the shows this weekend!!!!! well when i left for the barn last night at 730 the actual temp on my porch in the shade was 104. two riders at my barn were showjumping on the concrete...i had to wince for the horses. my guys were dripping wet in front of their fans so it was cold baths with vetrolin, fresh water to drink, and lots of bug spray...i love deolotion by the way. all natural and fairly effective. and it's a 7/1 mix instead of the 4/1 concentrates so it goes farther. have been at the barn every night for the past 3 until 11 doing barn chores then when it is coolest......lololololol.

olney is sunday and i still am not sure. today is supposed to be just as hot as yesterday in md and i don't feel like competing after he has been stressed by the heat for two days so i am really on the fence.
    I WILL NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COLD THIS WINTER IN MD OR IN AIKEN....REPEAT OVER AND OVER!