The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Southern Eighths Farm in SC, Long Format Facility

Has anyone in area II or III been to this facility? I have gotten a few emails about their facility which runs lower level long format events. There is a 3 day long format scheduled for May 2012 and their course runs BN-T.
    Has anyone been to this farm/one of their events? I feel like a caveman living in SC and never having been there!! Is it for real or too good to be true?

Yes, I have cliniced at this facility -- it is REALLY top notch. Beautiful, well laid out. Fantastic jumps, steeplechase course, gorgeous stabling, I mean I can't think of anything negative to say other than if you haven't been there, you are missing out. It is the real deal.

I have also cliniced at this facility and it's incredible. Beyond incredible. outdoor area has all-weather footing and mirrors. Galloping course, all kinds of xc jumps, beautiful water complex. If you walk into one of their permanent stalls, the floor is almost like a bed - springy, cushy, wow. Go if you get a chance - if I can swing it with work, I'm going.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

A trainer that we work with went to one of their events last year and can't quit raving about it. She loved it.

Thanks for the input! I cannot believe its 2 hours away and we haven't been! I am getting ready to have a baby in the next couple weeks and I have a greenie that is hanging with the trainer until I can ride again to get him going for the fall. I wiiiissshhh I could have him ready to do the BN/N long format in the spring but I think we will have to settle for volunteering as his career hasn't started yet . But great to know I can't believe we will have a facility like this, this close to home! Can't wait to go out there!

Just went out there last week for xc schooling.... management is very nice and will setup whatever you want to school if you let them know in advance. Really lovely facility. I think I'll be heading out there on a regular basis, it is only an hour from my barn!

Jennifer

Was at the initial long format event that they ran, excellent..excellent.. would highly recommend it!

Next year it sounds like it will be a Training Long Format and regular HTs for BN/N/maybe T? offered concurrently. Maybe if there was enough interest they would do the long format for the BN/N too.... A smart move I think, considering how few entries the long formats are getting. Not enough to support a competition weekend....

Jennifer

Wonderful facility. We need to support them.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Yes I looked up the results from the April event and there were only 5 or 6
    Competitors. I watched the video on their site and it was run so well considering. As soon as we are ready to compete we will be there. I would be all over a novice long format as my ultimate goal has been T3d when that was that was the lowest level offered.

I believe they have run BN/N long formats there last year as well as this past April. Hoping to run the T3DE next year though!
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

If I remember correctly, last year's competition was either on the same weekend or close to the same as Longleaf at the CHP, so that might have caused a problem with people who could only do one - I was one of those, and since I live practically in So. Pines and couldn't afford to find a sub for the time I needed off at school, I chose Longleaf. Long formats are great, but for those of us who work, it's bloody hard to find the time off to a) drive down and b) do it spread out over three-four days. I am actually hoping that they will have a regular HT over two days next May, so that I attend this time! love the facility and the people who run/own it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

Smile

I was at the fall show last year and had a great time. The facilities are fantastic, the grounds well groomed and the stadium/derby course looked to be a blast to ride. The owner and all the folks down there were friendly and very professional.

I love the long format and applaud any organizer that attempts to host a show. That So8's provides for BN at a long format is enough to support and promote this place. They get it, you build from both directions, not just one.

There is a clinic at the farm, end of July (check out the web site) and it is a good opportunity to school the place and meet their top notch trainers. I do hope they hold another schooling long format in the fall like last year. My new guy and I getting better all the time and that show is a goal for me. Though a bit of a haul (@ 3 hrs) for me, it is worth the trip.

mi, I was in the same position, we were already entered at Longleaf so couldn't do both. Now that we have the dates further ahead of time, we can plan accordingly and hopefully the LF will be held at all levels.

How open are owners/managers to using the facility/XC course for schooling like you would JBF, FGF, Pine Top, etc.? Or do you have to organize lessons with their on-site trainers?

We called a couple days ahead of time and they even asked if we'd like them to set out any particular portables around the water/bank/ditches etc. for us to school over.... so I'd say pretty open.

Jennifer

I hope I can make an event here... Any upcoming events??

I secretaried/scored at his 3-day in the spring. What a WONDERFUL facility! The owner went all out for all the competitors. I can't wait to go next year....and even though I'll be working it again, I'm bringing my pony too so I can hack out.

nancy