The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is it legal to shoot a gun any time you want

In a zoned ag area?

Lately some neighbors have taken to firing off guns many evenings-usually after dark until after 10pm.

Getting a little annoying.

Obviously this will be state/county specific-but in general, is this allowed?

As someone's signature phrase tell us, "you can't fix stupid".

Target shooting at night?
    That kind of mindset tends to also drink and shoot.

Ask your sheriff or county attorney about that.

L, It depends on your zoning and your noise ordinance.

There are some counties with zoning ordinances requiring no shooting within 100 or 200 ft of another's home. Check it out with your county govt.

Ditto for the noise ordinance. Like in Fulton where noise ordinanace was in effect between 11pm and 7am except on weekends when midnight was the noise cut off.

Of course we had a lot of shootings of people, but no one got cited for violation of the noise ordinance. They just got arrested for murder. We had more noise ordinance issues with leaf blowers, one resulting in a murder.

But yes, in the woods and countryside of GA, one can blast away if not violation an ordinance.

You might want to call DNR. It is not hunting season and those neighbors may be poaching. And the DNR agents are always much more diligent and responsive than are county officials up where you are.

Have a good day. I'm off to the barn while it is not in the 90s. We're having a few cool rainy days in the 80s.
    c

I know in central NY, it is 500 feet from a dwelling. This includes barns. However, at night at any distance is pretty stupid. And like Cloudy wrote, they could be poaching.

I would certainly check with your local Sheriff or Environmental Compliance Officer.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    In a zoned ag area?

Lately some neighbors have taken to firing off guns many evenings-usually after dark until after 10pm.

Getting a little annoying.

Obviously this will be state/county specific-but in general, is this allowed?

Maybe they are shooting at the loose hog roaming the neighborhood. I swear something is roaming in the woods and scaring the shite out of my horses.

(In case you were wondering, I live right around the corner from LMH and there has been a sighting of a loose hog by a neighbor)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I am pretty sure that in NC at least, it is illegal to shoot after dark. No idea about GA. I'd call your local sheriff's dept and ask them what the laws are. They should know.

You can here.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    As someone's signature phrase tell us, "you can't fix stupid".

Target shooting at night?
    That kind of mindset tends to also drink and shoot.

Ask your sheriff or county attorney about that.
    Well, no.

If you're using a night scope/night illumination why would this be a problem?

Is practicing mounted shooting a lighted area akin to "drinking and shooting"?

How about dealing with nocturnal predators/varmits?

Your assertion about "drinking and shooting" is rather insulting to folks who do use due care, even if the Sun has set.

Call your county attorney. If you are in an ag area and there are no specfic prohibitions or rules then it's likely OK.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Well, no.

Your assertion about "drinking and shooting" is rather insulting to folks who do use due care, even if the Sun has set.

Call your county attorney. If you are in an ag area and there are no specfic prohibitions or rules then it's likely OK.

G.
    I was half teasing there, although when you end up with the drunks in your front door and have to drive them back to their home 15 miles away, as we have to at times, you realize that is more than a joke.

We finally gave notice we were calling the sheriff on them and, after a few times the sheriff picked them up, they quit that night drinking and shooting around here.

By the way, there was a half grown feral pig in the trap by the corn field of our neighbors this morning.
    He went to get the barbecue pit ready.
    He sure was a cute little thing, like a black football with four legs.
    Not scared of us at all, just watching us. Kind of sad.
    There are five more just like it running around his well, rooting his fields up, plus the grown-ups.
    As he was telling me this morning, feral pigs in his fields are like mice in his pantry, but much more destructive and hard to control.

Yes, feral pigs are one reason to shoot, at any hour of the day.

It is a county by county thing here. We had a neighbor who would regularly shoot his firearms, despite the fact that he lived on ONE acre and had no safe place to shoot. When we'd call law enforcement, he would say that he was testing his self-loaded rounds and firing into the ground only. That was obviously not true, but without "catching" him shooting across the road into the woods, they couldn't do anything. Our law was no shooting after 10 p.m. When we called about him violating that law, he starting shooting from about 9:55 to 10 p.m. EVERY night. The good news is that my horses were "gun broke", but the kids couldn't play in the woods that belonged to my neighbor, and that really made us all angry. I have since moved, and I do not miss our neighbor, who we nicknamed "crazy shooter dude". He would carry his AK-47 over his shoulder while walking down his driveway to get his mail. I am absolutely in favor of our right to keep and bear arms, but this guy didn't exactly give gun owners a positive image.

Well, I would be annoyed as well, but I must admit to shooting at odd hours of the night as well. I certainly believe it adds to the "those crazy neighbors have guns and will use them" version of deterent! We haven't had any problems knocking on our door or driveway. We are private and keep to ourselves but we have no near neighbors to speak of....

If I lived closed to others, I would certainly have more consideration of our neighbors!

Call your local law enforcement and find out for certain. Aggravating as it is, it may not be illegal!
    Life is too short to argue with a mare! Just don't engage! It is much easier that way!

Have fun, be safe, and let the mare think it is her idea!

LMH, I found out that someone/organization was shooting off large fireworks Saturday night. Maybe that is what you were hearing. My farm help said she sat on her deck and watched them. I'm still dealing with the scary thing in the woods. I think the culprit is a pig sty hidden in the trees behind the "questionable neighbor". I got a big whiff of it yesterday just before Otto bolted with me (he got a big whiff also)

Things are never dull in our neighborhood.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    Coyotes?

If so, I wouldn't complain...
    I believe in Ontario it is not legal to shoot after dark, even on your own land. But I'm not a hunter.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

we have em all...the target shooters, varmit shooters and the drinkin' shooters. Our horses are really well bombproofed to gunshots. The only upside to that is that said shooters don't dare complain about the horses calling in the night (mares in heat, the stallion answering them or the mares & foals at weaning time).

Guy behind me shoots coyotes (fine with me). Army depot down the road occasionally detonates used munitions. Again, no problem as far as horses are concerned. Fireworks? OMG you'd think the world was ending (if they're close).
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

LMH - there isn't going to be an answer to your question. It will indeed vary by county, and state to state.

Though if it is permitted, you may want to see if they are conforming to your noise ordinance. (if you even have one)

There could be a lot of legitimate reasons they are shooting at night, but there is no harm in making sure they're conforming to any firearms or noise related ordinances.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

This is permitted in my area, HOWEVER a call to the sheriff, and a visit by a deputy ended my idiot neighbor's late night target practice. I love being a girl...

Default Shooting does not equal hunting

I am pretty sure that in NC at least, it is illegal to shoot after dark. No idea about GA. I'd call your local sheriff's dept and ask them what the laws are. They should know.
    "Shooting" after dark is not the same as "hunting" after dark. In both cases, it may or may not be against the law.

Well, no.

G.
    Especially the bolded part.
    Last edited by bluemooncowgirl; Jul. 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: emphasis

Coon hunting?
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh....
    Another tradeoff of Country Living vs City {shrugs}

I had a neighbor who must have been gifted with a shotgun for Xmas.

For a couple weeks after the holiday backyard target practice went on from dusk to dark.

Not a problem for me - or my horses - across the road "a piece".
    But his next-door neighbors in either of 2 directions are less than an acre away.
    Kinda obnoxious for them.

Funny Story:
    Woods are located right next to a new housing development.
    Newspaper reported that Homeowners were aghasted that people were shooting (deer during the season) Right in their backyards!!!! Um...the woods was there when you bought the house, right?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009